Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best Riding Vacation of all time....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

always wanted to go to alaska...now i find out that i may not be able to cross into canada because of an old d.w.i.. riding the continental divide from border to border might be fun on a dual-sport bike. just throw a dart at a map of the u.s.a., change the oil and check your tire pressure, and head out--staying off the interstate as much as possible.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the funnest ride I've been on to date and it was well worth it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...tory-long.html

This year I plan on hitting the west coast up to Washington State, maybe into Canada, and come down through Glacier National Park.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Shredd522
Cruiser

Originally Posted by deadhawg
I will be retiring soon - (80 days from today, but who's counting) and that's exactly my plan. I expect to spend most of the first year of retirement riding around the county. I have a map on my wall with a lot of pins stuck in it for places to see coast to coast.

And, with no schedule, no firm route, if we see an interesting road, we'll take it. If we hear of a good place to visit, we'll do it. We'll watch the weather and go where the sun is shining.

We plan on hitting every national park sooner or later too.
Now that sounds like the perfect ride to me.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Three years till retirement and I'm planning to just take off till I get ready to come home, or the money runs out. Told the wife she was welcome to come, but I'm going regardless.
I like Colorado, and Wyoming the best, but I haven't been everywhere. Right here at home is pretty darn good also.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by katobird
USA 4 corners, Fla, Maine, Ca, Washington and everything in between.

By the time I'm done the USA map would look like a bowl of spaghetti on where i went
Looking forward to doing that myself when I retire and have the time to take my time.I told my wife my plan is to take a year for this trip. She is welcome to come along if she wants or she fly out and meet me and ride until she has had enough or misses the grandchildren.
I have already seen a lot of the USA and Canada but always rushing to get home to go back to work.
When I retire I can take my time if I find a place I like I can stay for a few days and explore or wait out bad weather . No rush to get home for work.
Thats freedom but I worked hard for over forty years to get it .

Last edited by skydrifter; 01-24-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado.....do a trip hitting all four states and you will see an incredible change of scenery that encompasses it all......

Old 01-24-2011, 04:16 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado.....do a trip hitting all four states and you will see an incredible change of scenery that encompasses it all......
No coast line in those states

Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Shredd522
Cruiser

I read an article once about a guy who road all 50 states in 50 days. He even included Hawaii by renting a bike ride the islands. That seems like the perfect trip to me and the timeframe seems flexible enough to see plenty of sites in each state.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredd522
I read an article once about a guy who road all 50 states in 50 days. He even included Hawaii by renting a bike ride the islands. That seems like the perfect trip to me and the timeframe seems flexible enough to see plenty of sites in each state.
Sounds like he was on a schedule though...........rather just go and drift along at whatever pace I feel like on that particular day.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I started planning my next trip. It'll be 7-10 days long, some of it camping in National forests, some of it in hotels (got to recharge batteries on cameras).

I'm working on an itenerary which includes gas stops. I won't be following the itenerary though. It is only for planning purposes while I try to find things to see while on my trip such as waterfalls, overlooks, side streets, etc.

I'm going from Fl to the mountains of N.C. but instead of taking the fast way this year, I'm going thru Ga. and the first mountain to stop at is Stone Mountain. It's been 30 years since Ive seen it. But then again, I just might take the fast way to the BRP

Quick Reply: Best Riding Vacation of all time....