Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Europe Bound; how to ship my Motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
extsieg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Europe Bound; how to ship my Motorcycle?

Has anyone shipped their motorcycle via air to Europe? I have heard that Lufthansa Cargo will set it up for you so that you drive to the cargo terminal side; load your bike to possibly be on the same plane that you fly on.

Short of calling them I thought I would ask here for the good and bad of it..

Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 AM
bagger al
Intermediate

Hey Sieg - I am also working on shipping the scoot over to Europe for a few weeks. I contacted Lufthansa and here is what I was told. Will try and find a shipper:

We do provide flights from Vancouver to German cities. Unfortunetly, because you are a private shipper we are unable to ship Dangerous Goods (the motorcylces are considered dangerous goods, because they have oil/gasoline). I would suggest getting in contact with a freight forwarder in your area, and they can have us book it for you. I would actually, wait until closer to the date in September, because we aren't able to make bookings that far in advance. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you and regards,

Alexandra S
LCAG CSCNA
Lufthansa Cargo
CSCNA YPQXR
Phone: 1-800-LH-CARGO (1-800-542-2746)
Fax: 1-877-LHFAXIT (1-877-543-2948)
E-Mail: lhcargo-northamerica@dlh.de

Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 AM
german ladyrider
Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

Isn't it cheaper to rent a bike if it is just for a couple of weeks? Most dealers offer bikes for rent including all the insurances.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:46 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by your location and the orange road guard vest in the back I am assuming you are military so let them do it. The moving company will come out and crate it up and then un-crate it on the other end.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

I shipped my Ultra from New Jersey to Italy(other destinations available) last May and it only cost me about $800 plus E200 unloading fees on the other side.The bike arrived in perfect condition and it traveled in a container.Should you need more info let me know.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 AM
extsieg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by luisan
I shipped my Ultra from New Jersey to Italy(other destinations available) last May and it only cost me about $800 plus E200 unloading fees on the other side.The bike arrived in perfect condition and it traveled in a container.Should you need more info let me know.
Luisan I have sent you a PM.

Also thanks for the input everyone. I would probably rent if it was only a few weeks. A buddy at work just did a 3 week run with his son before he sent him off to war and they had a blast riding all over Europe. I think he has more beer drinking photos in Europe than I do now.

I will be in Europe for quite sometime so shipping the bike is the cost effective route for me and since I wont be able to charge Uncle Sam for the move. (retiring) I'll have to eat the cost. This will be my getting out of the Service Gift to myself, w00t!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Macker
Tourer

Was that by airplane? I've looked into this a little myself and seemed prices that good were for shipping via boat.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Steven_Belgium
Advanced

Shipping it by Air will be very expensive, I guess....
You better look for a forwarder who can ship it in a groupage container to Europe, as this will save you a lot of money ( but ofcourse you will have to miss your bike for a longer -shipping-period ! )
Good luck and enjoy Europe
Steven

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Macker
Was that by airplane? I've looked into this a little myself and seemed prices that good were for shipping via boat.
I said shipped in a"container",obviously on a boat.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm another who is beginning to look into shipping our bikes to Europe. We are trying to put together a three month trip.

I'll let you know what I find out as my research continues.

How about posting some details like who you shipped with and if there were any issues with your bike if you have an exhaust that is not stock...

Last edited by 2002flstc; 01-10-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Europe Bound; how to ship my Motorcycle?