Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Canada to Newfoundland

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Snarvol
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canada to Newfoundland

Am thinking of cruising up the Mississippi valley and crossing into Canada at International Falls. Maybe fish a little at Lake of the Woods, then turning east to St. Johns, Ne.
What surprisis should I know about putting through the Maratimes, what needs to seen, and whats the best month to make this run?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 AM
TheCanuck
Novice

Try to hit the maritimes in July. Great weather. Don't forget to do the cabot trail in Cape Breton. Some awesome roads. Newfoundland is spectacular to see.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Snarvol
Cruiser

Checked the map. Lots of scenic roads like HWY 6 leading to 19 and the Cabot Trail. I'd bet they may serve a glass of that fine Canadian brew in the area. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:57 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snarvol
Checked the map. Lots of scenic roads like HWY 6 leading to 19 and the Cabot Trail. I'd bet they may serve a glass of that fine Canadian brew in the area. Thanks for the reply.
Hey Snarvol, I live in Cape Breton - not far from the Cabot Trail (I ride it a few times a year) and have driven all over the Martime region and can provide lots of great places to check out on your way up if you like. You will love it up here. You can watch for whales from the highway on the Cabot Trail, watch for moose crossing the road and gat all the great beer and the only "single malt whiskey" brewed in North America. PM me for more details and I will be happy to send you lots of stuff.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM
HarleyB_2008
Intermediate
Default Everything needs to be seen!!

Like I say, everything needs to be seen if you plan on travelling to the beautiful east coast of Canada!!

If you plan on going from International Falls, it's a very long ride(or drive) about 3 days at least to eastern Nova Scotia and then there's a boat ride to Newfoundland and onward to St John's after you get " On the Rock"!!

I did a 21 day ride on my Harley in 2007 from Toronto to St. John's and many points in between and had a trip of a lifetime, travelling 11,000klm(6,000+miles).

Like the other people mentioned, if you need extra guidance ...just drop an e-mail.

From Arizonia, you'll need about 2 months on the road to see everything! Ride(drive) safe!!

HarleyB

Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Snarvol
Cruiser

BayBones, I'll take you up on that. And I keep a jug of Glenlivet to sip with friends. Will look forward to your single malt
Per The Canuk I will plan to be in the area in July and spend a couple of weeks between there and Newfoundland before heading back. A fellow I worked with in the oil patch is with a mining outfit in northern Newf. and will try to look him up. Other than that...no firm plans yet.
HarleyB, the ride is as long as you make it. If it all works out this'll be a nice 2 month putt. I can always use extra guidence. Thanks for the offer. Drop me a PM, we can go from there.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 AM
HarleyB_2008
Intermediate
Default Trip

That will definately be a great trip, especially the east coast of Canada. Keep us posted....

Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default If you're going to the rock

then don't forget to make reservations for the ferry. Get yourself a room because it's a long ride.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
bigcletus
Cruiser

If you have a brew or 2, ask for one from the local micro-brewers. Much better beer than the multi-nationals...MUCH BETTER.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Snarvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
then don't forget to make reservations for the ferry. Get yourself a room because it's a long ride.
Oh Watch Guy, there is something I dont know about this boat ride... do fill me in.

Quick Reply: Canada to Newfoundland