Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Canada to Newfoundland

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Snarvol
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fat_Tony,
Thanks for the note on border crossing. Last time all I did need was a DL. Will get a passport, althoigh ot seems foolish as I always considered Canada to be a like a friendly neighbor, having worked, traveled and played there. It's a shame as i'm pretty sure that very little besides inconvenience is accomplished.
And about firearms - guess I don't understand that either as most of the places I've been had tough gun reglation and firearm laws and lots of crime cause the people were defenseless but the criminals were not. Too much history behind that to discuss here.
Anyway, thanks for the note. You're cautions are duly noted.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Snarvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HarleyB_2008
Some excellent advice in here about the borders and guns and stuff, BayBones is absolutely right, take the short ferry ride to PAB and do the island and take the Argentia ferry back to Nova Scotia. Personally, you will need minimum of 10 days to 2 weeks for Newfoundland to do it properly!! Been there, done it!! Nova Scotia and Newfoundland will be the highlight of your trip.
HarleyB
HarleyB
Was planning on a couple of weeks anyway.

What would be available (like sort of OK with folks) in the way of camping away from organised campgrounds?

Used to do a lot of this in BC and all over the western US. Never cared for other peoples dogs, TV's and generators when camping.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

I've read through the post, and I'm from the other side, West Coast. [Vancouver]

I am hoping to ride from Van to Nova Scotia, and wrote off the trip to NL based on the ferry.

-crap-

now I gotta go...

I work 2 weeks on, 2 off, so with a week vacation, I can get three. I guess I'll get out there, park the bike for a week, work, and return and finish the trip.

I'm hoping to ride the Confederation Bridge too. it's 13km long, toll bridge to PEI.

I hate to say it, but I never end up taking in all the sights anyhow. I rode to Las Vegas in 2009 from Vancouver, and then back up to Coos bay, and round the OR an WA coast.

5000 km in 7 days.

Intl Falls is across the river from Ft. Frances. I've spent many a summer in Ft Frances, Atikokan area. Thunder Bay was alright if i remember. Terry Fox ended there, poor bugger. Sudbury was like the moon, no vegatation from the nickel mine. [I was 16 when I was through there.] Niagra Falls is nice, but it's like a place to propose, not drink beer...

I only made it as far as Hull QC, It was for lunch as an uncle lived in Ottawa.

You've got two months eh? should be 100% awesome. Do you run GPS?

GPS will give you locations and phone numbers of Hotels, campgrounds etc. Really handy if you are looking at your watch @ 13:00 and figure you've got 3 more hours of riding before time to stop. I look up a hotel 2-300 mi down the road, and I can ride til sunset. And not be bothered with looking at NO VACANCY signs. [this happened in Cour d'Ilaine Idaho last summer. (spelling) Had to ride til Montana til I found a place.]

Later

H

Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to do that trip man!! What a great adventure. Also the Confederation Bridge is really cool on a bike, and PEI is beautiful with great roads and beaches - with lots of watering holes. I will be touring PEI this summer with my daughetr who goes to University there. It can't get here fast enough!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

well the only negative i can think of is rolling thru montreal....those montreal quebec'rs are mad dog drivers ...so check your route and take the route north of the city....i think its hwy 20...same for toronto...look for the 407 toll road it will take from one end to the other safely......

unless you like the big cities...and traffic jams...and near death expriences!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
bigcletus
Cruiser

[quote=Snarvol;7759407]Fat_Tony,
Thanks for the note on border crossing. Last time all I did need was a DL. Will get a passport, althoigh ot seems foolish as I always considered Canada to be a like a friendly neighbor, having worked, traveled and played there. It's a shame as i'm pretty sure that very little besides inconvenience is accomplished.
You can blame the US government (and 9-11) for this new requirement. They insisted on the passports. You even need one to get back into the US.

Last edited by bigcletus; 01-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:14 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

If you stay on the north side of the St. Lawrence river (scenic side, going eastward, there are no bridges where you can cross east of Quebec city but several points where you can take a ferry across.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Snarvol
Cruiser

FAT TONY, I like your idea of cruzin up the north side uf the river not only to avoid stuff, but to enjoy all the fremch scenery you alluded to earlier. A ferry crossing might be a nice change if all the road-side stops leave me enough money for fare.

How interesting is the trip across central Canada to the St. Lawrence? I assume from there east there's a lot to see.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Snarvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BayBones
You have to do that trip man!! What a great adventure. Also the Confederation Bridge is really cool on a bike, and PEI is beautiful with great roads and beaches - with lots of watering holes. I will be touring PEI this summer with my daughetr who goes to University there. It can't get here fast enough!!!
Bones, are you taking her by cage? And what time of year would this be?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Depends where you are starting from. Ottawa is an hour north from the 401 (the main east west link). It's the capital of Canada so has lots of attractions. A ride in Gateneau park to a lookout over Ottawa River Valley is cool as are the museums, walking the canal, and touring parliament (1-2 hour tours are free) if that kind of thing interests you. There is even a large campground (or was a few years back) hidden in a large green belt along the river in the center of the city.

There is also a secondary road route that is very slightly longer and but has more scenery that will take you from Toronto to Ottawa (route 7). The primary route (401) is just strait 4 lane highway.

Once you leave the Gaspe (St. Lawrence River area) there is not much to see except trees until you hit southern New Brunswick and the Atlantic coast. Lots to like on Prince Edward Island. It's free to drive there but leaving there is a $40 bridge toll (think it's less for motorcycles but not sure) - the bridge that links it to New Brunswick is 9 miles long. You can also take a ferry from the south end of the island directly to Nova Scotia for the same amount.

Last edited by fat_tony; 01-20-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Canada to Newfoundland