Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Headed west to Sturgis and Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Headed west to Sturgis and Yellowstone

I read ozone's post about his pending trip out west and didn't want to hijack his thread.

We're taking a snaky route from here to Tolu Ky up to mid Missouri thru Neb and on up to Sturgis/Deadwood. Planning on visiting Custer's last stand up in Wyoming then curl back down to the Beartooth in Yellowstone. Just hitting the NW corner tho then cutting down through Idaho to Salt Lake City. We're wanting the ride and while we're at it, to see America.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

It will be a cold ride this time of year... I'd wait until summer...

Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not much going on in sturgis this time of year-finding a parking spot on main street should be a breeze...rooms will be cheaper too. yellowstone is nice this time of year-watch for all the snowmobiles.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
not much going on in sturgis this time of year-finding a parking spot on main street should be a breeze...rooms will be cheaper too. yellowstone is nice this time of year-watch for all the snowmobiles.
YNP is nice this time of year. The roads are closed. (Except the Gardiner-Cooke City road)

Pretty sure he's planning for a summer trip.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by glideridemike
I read ozone's post about his pending trip out west and didn't want to hijack his thread.

We're taking a snaky route from here to Tolu Ky up to mid Missouri thru Neb and on up to Sturgis/Deadwood. Planning on visiting Custer's last stand up in Wyoming then curl back down to the Beartooth in Yellowstone. Just hitting the NW corner tho then cutting down through Idaho to Salt Lake City. We're wanting the ride and while we're at it, to see America.
You'll enjoy the Little Bighorn (in Montana!)--just don't get sucked into all the nearby souvenir shops calling themselves "museums."

Unless you have a specific reason for going through that part of Idaho, you'll find much better scenery going through WY, by the Grand Tetons, to Alpine, and on down. Keep in mind that the two-lane roads out this way all have speed limits at 70 or 75, and there isn't any traffic hardly.

I know I already mentioned it to you.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

LOL, no snow tires on my scoot so am stuck waiting on warm weather....tentative plans are for this to go for the last 3 weeks of June, us leaving 6/10 or thereabouts.

faber, I checked out the ride down through the park but it added a nights stay and most of the places I could find were pretty pricey. I found a sleepover in West Yellowstone that was pretty reasonable and from there to SLC its a dayride. I figure Idaho is going to be scenic although it's probably nothing like the park would be, but still...

Anyone know of a place in Deadwood to stay for a couple of nights that is clean and reasonably priced? Most the time I look for B&B's since they serve breakfast and are comparably priced to (sometimes even cheaper than) motels but there doesn't seem to be many in the towns we'll be stopping at.

Trying to keep the daily mileage at about 450-500. We could push harder by why? Figure this should give us extra time to waylay wherever we decide to....

Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Ya I would plan for that and go about it day by day. I like the Super 8 in Deadwood I guess

Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

LOL, no snow tires on my scoot so am stuck waiting on warm weather....tentative plans are for this to go for the last 3 weeks of June, us leaving 6/10 or thereabouts.

faber, I checked out the ride down through the park but it added a nights stay and most of the places I could find were pretty pricey. I found a sleepover in West Yellowstone that was pretty reasonable and from there to SLC its a dayride. I figure Idaho is going to be scenic although it's probably nothing like the park would be, but still...
That part of Idaho will be wide open valleys, especially once you get on I-15. It;s about a 5-6 hour ride from West Yellowstone to Salt Lake.

Anyone know of a place in Deadwood to stay for a couple of nights that is clean and reasonably priced? Most the time I look for B&B's since they serve breakfast and are comparably priced to (sometimes even cheaper than) motels but there doesn't seem to be many in the towns we'll be stopping at.

Trying to keep the daily mileage at about 450-500. We could push harder by why? Figure this should give us extra time to waylay wherever we decide to....
That's a good distance. But remember that speed limits are higher out here and there is very little traffic. It's pretty easy to have a 600-mile day. And then the next day you'll be in a scenic place and only cover 100.

Your plan sounds like it will be a good trip. You'll enjoy it.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks.

Tho it sounds like most any riding out west will make for a good trip. If you hear of anything or think of anything just give me a shout. Always open to suggestions.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks.

Tho it sounds like most any riding out west will make for a good trip. If you hear of anything or think of anything just give me a shout. Always open to suggestions.
When you get closer to your trip, keep in touch.

I am actually moving away from here, but I've lived here for 10 years and know the area pretty well. (There aren't too many places in MT and WY I haven't been.)

If you've never been out this way, you will definitely enjoy the national parks--they're amazing. But there is a lot of great riding out here, just about anywhere. Montana is the fourth largest state, but with less than a million people, and only 200 state troopers to cover three shifts 24/7 Think about that. The riding is incredible!

Just one thing to keep in mind: people new to riding in the area look for the mountains and the dramatic landscapes around them. And they are beautiful. But Lewis & Clark and the pioneers looked at the wide open plains and valleys. Try to just lose yourself in that and see why they call it Big Sky country. When you are riding across the high plains (like on the 212 leg from Belle Fourche to Crow Agency), the vastness of the landscape and boundless horizons around you are hypnotizing. They are. My wife got a ticket on her bike outside Broadus doing 110! She said she felt like she was standing still.

You're going to have a great trip. You may not have time, but if you bring a fly rod......you'll be riding by some of the best trout rivers in the country.

Quick Reply: Headed west to Sturgis and Yellowstone