Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Which would YOU choose and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 AM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gave up going to Sturgis years ago, 100 miles of RVs.
The iron Horse Rodeo is still a blast, not nearly the traffic until you hot right into town, and a bit closer to the left coast.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:06 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Daytona for now. I have family there.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 AM
m50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to both of them 4 or 5 times, Daytona is a lot of fun BUT there is nowhere that I have been to that has any better ridin or that is more beatiful than Sturgis and the Black Hills area. Spend a day in Sturgis and then get out to the surrounding area, you can get 100 miles from Sturgis and still find plenty of bikes and great people to visit with over a cold beer. Go to Sturgis you won't be sorry, there is alot of history in those hills.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Bike week to me has gotten lamer over the years as far as the lack of vendors now. It's still nice to go down in March and ride in the warmer weather with everybody but I've decided since I'll be in Washington state this year it's definitely not worth the trip down.. So I'm going to Sturgis

Old 12-26-2010, 09:33 AM
badknees
Road Master

Sturgis but am really wanting to got to The Grand Canyon and go out on the Skywalk.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

The way I look at it is you can go to Sturgis anytime and still enjoy the rides, so why pay more to avoid the crowds when you could just go before or after the rally and pay almost nothing for the hotels. Daytona isn't the same when it's not bike week, Ive tried. Just not as fun. I take it the OP is looking for the rally experience which include lots of bikes, vender's and partying. I love being surrounded by other motorcycle enthusiast who came to have fun and party. I can party and have more fun for cheaper in Daytona than Sturgis any day. Both are fun, but I can go to Daytona twice a year and love it, Sturgis I only do about every three years. Sturgis is just not worth the expence for me to go every year.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

While rallies are nice, for me its about the ride and I think Sturgis has more to offer in scenic rides.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

Sturgis for sure. You've got the same events, dealers, parties, etc as Daytona but the riding is like night and day...the Black Hills are so beautiful and offer some really unique riding and scenery. Nothing like it in Florida!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:33 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd go to Sturgis to ride rally or not...can't say that for Daytona/Florida...sorry Floridians...just not feeling it. I am sure there are some nice places to ride, but bang for the buck...there's not contest between FL and SD IMHO. I've traveled to many a state and it's hard to beat the "west" with the mountains and all. Now...if you're talking about a beach vacay...then FL would be high on my list...

And before you Floridians get your panties in a wad...I'm a Texan and I don't get too excited about a lot of the riding around here either...other than the Hill country and Big Bend.

Went to Sturgis last year, so maybe I'm partial...loved the riding...did the Sturgis thing one day, but really, the riding was my thing more than the rally. Weather can and does often suck though. Of course, I hear that about Daytona...stories of rain abound.

All that being said...I'm quite sure I'll get to Daytona for one of the Rally's in the next couple of years.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Daytona for the rally. More hotels, better chance of good weather. I've been there and enjoyed it. Most people go to Sturgis for one day and then ride like mad in the great bike country. I plan on doing that but not when the crazyness of the rally is there. I'll plan a great ride in a more peaceful and 'drier' atmosphere and better weather.

Quick Reply: Which would YOU choose and why?