Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Daytona Bike week 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010 | 01:56 PM
66impala
|
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Daytona Bike week 2011?

Im considering going to Daytona Fl. from Pa. to go to bike week. For those who have gone before is there anything different here than any other bike week event. Is it worth going. My intention really is to check it out for one full day and do more riding in Fl. possibly check out the Keys. Alot will have to do with the weather in Pa. when I leave, no trailers involved in the trip.

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-2010 | 10:27 PM
BigTM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One day is a good start. It is MANY events all over central Florida. Orlando included. The Speedway in the morning for venders and test rides from all the manufactures. Afternoon swing by beach street, HD exhibit was there. Main street at night. But you have to go by Destination Daytona- Bruce Rosmeyer's biggest dealership. Too much for one day.
Crud you cant do it right in a couple of days. But you can get a feel for things , to plan for next year.
T

Old 12-15-2010 | 09:09 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I usually spend 2 days in the Daytona area and then spend the rest of the week riding. Got to see a night time rocket launch from the Cape. Spent some time around Tampa-St Pete. There are actually some curves in central Florida if you know where to look. You might want to rethink the no trailer thing tho. Pic is from departure time last year for bike week.

Attached Thumbnails Daytona Bike week 2011?-p1010007.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010 | 09:39 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

We went to Bike week last March and then rode down to Key West, have a look at this vid to give a brief idea. Going south you gotta stop in at 'Earl's Hideaway' at Sebastian on Sunday for a cold one or two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkTsB430GRY

Old 12-15-2010 | 12:46 PM
Joesobo
Stage II
Smile Bike Week Daytona

I live in NC now but I am from Erie, PA orginally. You have to be kidding thinking your going to leave PA in March and head South. You will freeze unless you have a full windsheild and heated underwear.

I am wondering how the weather is going to be for me and I only live 585 miles from Daytona. Lots of luck if you try it. That is a pretty good ride in cold weather. I don't me to talk you out of it, I only suggest if you do go that you really dress properly and pray you don't hit snow.

Good luck and Ride On.

Old 12-15-2010 | 01:20 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Nope, it's nothing unique as far as a bike rally goes. It's a great ride to/from PA (I go to Somerset every other year to ride in the America's 9-11 Memorial Ride) especially if the weather's good (which in February until you get pretty far South is problematic). We normally ride from Orlando up to Virginia Beach, along the coast for the most part, then cut through Leesburg VA and on into Maryland and PA. On the way home we normally try and stay in the Shenandoahs and Blue Ridge Mountains, so we get the best of both worlds. There's lot's of good riding in Florida North and West of Orlando. The Keys are fun, but South, from a line from Daytona down to Tampa (the I-4 corridor), it's pretty flat and featureless. Have fun and ride safe.

Old 12-16-2010 | 06:44 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Plenty to do and see..
Remember nobody goes there because it's to crowded....

Old 12-16-2010 | 06:39 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I love going to Daytona, my favorite rally so far. I try to go to both the spring and fall rally when i can. Your not missing much the first weekend, but the second is the most fun. The last weekend has some good vender sales but thats about it.
Are you going solo or with a group?
Don't let the cold scare you off, I talked with two mid 70 year old women that were riding there bikes from upstate NY to Daytona at a gas station off 95s and said they have been doing it for 35 yrs.
I try to stay a week and camp at the encore camping area beside the Destination Daytona in Ormond beach, I never do everything i plan to and always have fun. Ive been solo and with small groups and always meet new folks to party with.

GO!!!!

Old 12-16-2010 | 06:56 PM
Mars1
Advanced

I live 50 miles from Daytona, we have had hard freeze warnings for the last 3 nights. We go to Bike Week every year more as a sort of responsibility. Very crowded, lots of fun, but prices around Daytona seem to go up quite a bit around BikeWeek.....best advice I can give riding down here is "Loud Pipes Save Lives".

Old 12-17-2010 | 06:15 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

I have been to DBW at least 10 times. I'd do Beach Street and head over to The Loop. I'd swing by Destination Daytona and get a shirt to brag about. After that, I make a run for Key West. You can blast down I-95 in and be there in a day and a half. Be sure if you go to have a piece of Key Lime pie at "The Shack" on Key Largo!

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike week 2011?