Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

tail of the dragon

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
bmcgc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make reservations early. There are limited rooms in the area.

I wasnt impressed with the Dragon. Its just another curvy road.

Lots of very scenic roads to ride on.

Plenty of fools in and on rice burners.

Think about some 18 year old fool coming across the center line at 60mph in a Civic. Your dresser isnt going to stand much of a chance in that situation.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually go out west every year to Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, New Mexico. But reading this thread, I'm starting to want to go back to Maggie Valley again. Got a daughter in the Fort Bragg area anyway, what a good excuse to go east for a change.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 AM
bowhuntr74
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
a lot of beautiful rides all over that area, the Blue Ridge Pkwy, Dragon's Tail, NC215, Cherohala Skyway.
The Iron Horse MC resort in Stecoah (near Deals Gap) is a great place to stay and reasonably priced. Also, Maggie Valley is a nice town to visit, one must see is the "Wheels Through Time" museum in Maggie Valley. Holiday Motel in Maggie Valley is another great place to stay.
My wife and I made this run in September 2009 in 5 days. Took 12 hours to get to Pigeon Forge, TN. We are going back again June 2011. We are staying 11 days this time. I can't wait. It was a great trip....lots of awesome riding. You will not regret making this trip man!!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are going back up to stay at our cabin sometime in May if it is not rented. We have been going up there for years and no matter where we travel to we always seam to go back there. That was one reason we bought a vacation rental there. If anyone is interested in renting a cabin in the area the link to our rental cabin is below.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 AM
LRS
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Fontana village is a good place to stay, just a few miles from the dragon. Ive rode it a bunch of times. Go during the week and avoid weekends. Too crowded with dummies.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 PM
FBLJosh
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to ride the dragon, I would agree with everyone else in saying go during the week. Weekends are almost a death wish. Way too many hotshots thinking it's a racetrack. I used to live in that area and only rode the dragon a handful of times for that reason. The Cherohala and BRP are MUCH better roads for scenery. There are also roads just as good or better than the Dragon with less traffic in the area. I would highly suggest a local map of the area before you go so you can plan out rides. Look them up on google maps or some other map software that gives you a satellite view to make sure you're not going to hit dirt/gravel roads. Good luck with the trip planning.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
NoDeal
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there several times. Best recommendation is to stay at the Punkin Center Motorcycle Resort. http://www.punkincentermotorcycleresort.com/

Its only 8 miles from the Dragon (assuming the re-opened 129 after the landslide). Even if you have to take the long way to the dragon, you can get there via the foothills parkway or riding over to the Cherahola Skyway and going through several other fantastic areas. Take a day to head south, run the Georgia scenic byway across the north until 75 S, then take your last exit before Alabama. Great road that cuts up and over a mountain, then back down and around a lake before looping back up to Tennessee. Wish I could remember the name of the roads, but checking a map shoudln't take you long to find it.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:31 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

I rode up there last August. I believe it was the week of Sturgis. There was nobody there, and I only saw one cop. I stayed in the Microtel in Robbinsville. Even though it's mountain country - it gets HOT. Whew!

Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 AM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride up there every year. We rent a cabin in Bryson City area. The dragon is a good ride, need to ride it to say you did, however just as everyone else has stated, there are better roads to ride there with less traffic. Just turn on a road and go, you will enjoy it.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:46 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,798 Likes on 535 Posts

The Abby Inn at Maggie Valley is another nice little place to stay. Very reasonable rates as well.

Quick Reply: tail of the dragon