Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

tail of the dragon

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:25 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Two weddings to go to this year - one in spring, one in summer - so I'm finally gonna get to ride The Dragon and some of the other roads up ther. So this thread is helpful. Can't wait.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you'll plan your Dragon ride during the week, the crotch rockets aren't nearly as bad.
Be careful!
Have fun.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Robert_W
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mech-a-nic
+1 I just went there last month and the WTT is a must see. I stayed in a cabin just north of Maggie Valley. Go to the tail on a sunday or monday and most the street bikes are not there. To be honest the ride on 28 and 19 were just as good as the dragon. Not quite as sharp of turns but more long sloping ones better suited for a cruiser. no to mention no cops.
Be carful lots of cops on the dragon. there were 5 on it the sunday I went.
Thumbs up on the WTT. Here's the weblink http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/ Dale's a great enthusiast to talk to.

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode the Dragon twice now. Rode down from Toronto and although the Dragon is great, you have to ride it once, there are a ton of roads around to match it. We stayed in Pigeon Forge both times. Not my kind of scene but tons of selection as far as hotels go and lots of restaurants. I would recommend the ride through the National Park, we loved it and parts of Tellico Plains at dusk are nice.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

Speed limit is 35 and crotch rockets will want by you ...ride during the week, not weekend, ride to your abilities...300 curves is a lot so stay focused because it's easy to lose track ....If you are not used to curves this will be an education. Been there 5or6 times...there are many other better roads than the dragon if you ask me.,..Rattler, Hellbender, snake Jonas ridge Wayah rd. Rt 109 Hwy 80 and 221 etc,,,,,

Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
tnbillybob
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another +1 on the Cherohala Skyway - I always stay at the Phillip's Motel in Robinsville - good central point, homey atmosphere. Was up there last fall, raining when arrived. Mrs Phillips told us to take her car to dinner. It was late, she called the restaurant to tell them a group was coming up - gave me the keys to her car. It was a Mercedes! Rags and buckets available for clean-up. $45.00 to $50.00 depending upon time of the year. Sweet!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM
tnbillybob
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Almost forgot, sorry for double post. Go to Killboy.com after you ride the dragon, select the date that you rode, and he'll more than likely have a picture of you "in a curve".

Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tnbillybob
Almost forgot, sorry for double post. Go to Killboy.com after you ride the dragon, select the date that you rode, and he'll more than likely have a picture of you "in a curve".
If killboy doesn't....my buddy will.

www.us129photos.com

Old 01-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Lucky1958
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 ultra man
i want to ride there this spring/summer. Anyone been there, places to stay/see? I plan to ride from wisconsin to tennessee then to north carolina. I want to have fun but don't want to take a "dirt nap"getting run over by some retard on a crotch rocket. Any tips?
try and go during the week its kinda a zoo on the weekends.
My avitar is the dragon

Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

That one of my favorite areas of this country. I like it so much I want to move there. You could ride for days, maybe weeks in the deals gap area and not cover all the great roads and take in all the sites.

I like being around or on lakes and rivers almost as much as biking. There is no shortage of lakes and rivers in that area either. When you are at Deal's Gap, it is a very short drive down to Fontanna Dam, now known as Fugitive Dam from the movie. It's a great site.

I hope to go back there early this summer. I am thinkig of trying camping again. I have never camped on the bike. After I got out of the guard, I swore I'd never camp again, but now I am reconsidering.

Have fun out there.

Dennis

Quick Reply: tail of the dragon