Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First time camping

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010 | 04:26 PM
rstekeur
|
Road Captain
Default First time camping

I am starting to plan a trip this coming summer from SW Florida to Calgary Canada. It's about 6400 miles round trip. My wife and I have taken 2 and 3 week trips, the longest one was to New Mexico and back but on all of our trips we have stayed in motels. This time I was thinking about taking 3 weeks and bring the tent and sleeping bags and camp as much as possible. The only time we camped was at Sturgis for 5 days and that's an experience in it's self. Anyone have any tips or camping stories to share?

Old 11-23-2010 | 05:21 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

We have gone on a few trips over the last few years. 08 across Canada to the east coast the back to Alberta through the USA, 15,000 kms in 38 days. 09 the Oregon coast in to the Grand Canyon then back up to Alberta through Bryce, Zion Yellowstone and the liks 9,000 kms in 13 days. This year through British Columbia and Vancouver Island 4,500 kms in 11 days. Just about all camping. Campgrounds all have showers to clean up and a lot have a laundry to wash the clothes. Most are quite nice with things to take a walk around stretch the legs and see. We always eat at restaurants, as you would know no place to pack food and the likes. There isn't as many camp sights in the west as there is in the east. We would camp in the ditch if it was getting late. We have actually come across some nice spots to spend the night. Just have some water to brush your teeth and you are set to go. No shower but it's only a day, hit a campground the next night. If you are coming as far as Calgary you should go from Banff to Jasper on the Ice Fields Parkway Hwy 93. We live just outside Jasper park and last year we had some forum members stop in for the night on their ride. They all thought the Hwy 93 parkway was a ride to see. You shouldn't miss it!!! If you do that ride PM me to see if we'll be here and you'll have a place to spend the night, we have room. Have a good ride and enjoy the planning also.
Here is a pic of some ditch camping in Montana. ( hope the pic shows up )

Last edited by Silver Fox; 11-24-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2010 | 06:46 PM
bama6977
Road Captain

Great picture. Guess I have lived sheltered life and again "The Forum" taught me something new....."ditch camping" was new term for me. At first thought you slept in a ditch

Old 11-23-2010 | 07:32 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I camp but haven't done the long trips in years, since I was much younger. You may want to hit a motel every 3-4 nights to unwind from setting tents and cooking. Carrying enough clothes takes room, so pack smart and have hand washables to save space. Decide ahead how much cooking you'll do; pack dry goods (that weigh less) you add water to. Neat trick- egg noodles beat anything else and have 6grams protein to a serving so you don't have to carry a lot of meat.
Towels are bulky. A "Shamwow" works awesomely but you can get the same thing at the dollar stores 3 in a pack (orange color) that will actually outlast the expensive German one (blue). I've even used one to dry off after showering, because they are water magnets.
I quit using my propane stove in favor of alcohol stoves made from coke and tunafish cans - my entire kitchen (2 cups, 2 bowls, wind shield, stove, fuel, 2 pots and handle) are the size of a canteen and weighs one pound. http://www.instructables.com/id/Alcohol-Stove-4/ I actually carry 2 stoves with different number of holes so I can simmer after cooking. Denatured Alcohol is the fuel, cost about ten cents a burn. One night's fuel $1.00 including coffee.
If you don't have bags, check out Big Agnes line thru REI - you get the REI guarantee if you order thru them. Tent should have a vestibule or you'll wish it did sooner or later.

Old 11-23-2010 | 08:41 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
We have gone on a few trips over the last few years. 08 across Canada to the east coast the back to Alberta through the USA, 15,000 kms in 38 days. 09 the Oregon coast in to the Grand Canyon then back up to Alberta through Bryce, Zion Yellowstone and the liks 9,000 kms in 13 days. This year through British Columbia and Vancouver Island 4,500 kms in 11 days. Just about all camping. Campgrounds all have showers to clean up and a lot have a laundry to wash the clothes. Most are quite nice with things to take a walk around stretch the legs and see. We always eat at restaurants, as you would know no place to pack food and the likes. There isn't as many camp sights in the west as there is in the east. We would camp in the ditch if it was getting late. We have actually come across some nice spots to spend the night. Just have some water to brush your teeth and you are set to go. No shower but it's only a day, hit a campground the next night. If you are coming as far as Calgary you should go from Banff to Jasper on the Ice Fields Parkway Hwy 93. We live just outside Jasper park and last year we have had some forum members stop in for the night on their ride. They all thought the Hwy 93 parkway was a ride to see. You shouldn't miss it!!! If you do that ride PM me to see if we'll be here and you'll have a place to spend the night, we have room. Have a good ride and enjoy the planning also.
I thought you were going to give the advice to NOT ditch camp near a windmill farm!! If the wind wasn't blowing when you set up camp, I bet it did at some time before you planned to break camp!! Right, Hermann!!!!

Old 11-23-2010 | 09:24 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

Hello Jim, That's funny you would mention the wind. It was calm when we set up camp, and also in the morning. The wind hit just when we fell asleep, we were in la la land when we woke up and didn't know what was happening! We both realized what was going on at the same time and had a good laugh. A windmill farm, of course.... WIND. I would stop there again in a heart beat but I would peg the tent down when it was set up, not after I was sleeping a while. So take note.... peg tent down!!!

Old 11-23-2010 | 09:25 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default camping

Quad--Cool stoves.

OP--Besides quick snacks, cereal & powdered milk, I carry some freeze-dried backpack meals, extra water in Nalgene bottles, gas backpack stove w/ nesting pot. This past season I have camped w/ only a sleeping bag. Now any trips will include a small Sierra Designs 1/2-Moon+ tent & orally-inflated air mattress.

I look for free out of the way campsites w/ restrooms not far away, paying to shower every other day, and taking a ho's bath in between, if that.

Photo shows hillbilly type of luggage: throw-over leather saddlebags; T-Bag on the sissy-bar; camera bag; foul weather gear bag for a backrest...

Attached Thumbnails First time camping-yosemite-10n.jpg  
Old 11-24-2010 | 02:50 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Air mattresses are COLD man...and a bother. Get a 2" self inflatable and you'll love it. The Big Agnes bags I mentioned don't have a bottom, but rather a pocket for the mattress to slide into. The foam of the mattress is your insulation and padding, and the pocket keeps it under you. You'll sleep like a baby.

Old 11-24-2010 | 05:53 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

I have written a lot about camping off my bike. I am a camper have been my whole life. I will dig up some of the threads on camping where I explain all the gear I have gotten for bike camping. Main thing is get decent gear. Go to an actual out door store. My favorite is REI. This is REALLY important for tents and also your sleeping bag. Cheap tents leak their seems are not sealed. Since you are planning on camping on a longer trip you will run into rain sometime. Other thing about cheap tents is that they have bad ventilation. I did (ok my friend Ant) found a motorcycle chair from JP cycles which is really cool. And my favaorite stove is pocket rocket stove. I have a french press mug for coffee. A camping flask from Bass pro shop. And since I camp at rallys too a back packing table.. ALL of this fits in a large black duffle from REI that I strap to the bike. I keep it packed and just go when I want to.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...k-on-bike.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-question.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...y-cruiser.html

Old 11-24-2010 | 12:59 PM
rstekeur
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
We have gone on a few trips over the last few years. 08 across Canada to the east coast the back to Alberta through the USA, 15,000 kms in 38 days. 09 the Oregon coast in to the Grand Canyon then back up to Alberta through Bryce, Zion Yellowstone and the liks 9,000 kms in 13 days. This year through British Columbia and Vancouver Island 4,500 kms in 11 days. Just about all camping. Campgrounds all have showers to clean up and a lot have a laundry to wash the clothes. Most are quite nice with things to take a walk around stretch the legs and see. We always eat at restaurants, as you would know no place to pack food and the likes. There isn't as many camp sights in the west as there is in the east. We would camp in the ditch if it was getting late. We have actually come across some nice spots to spend the night. Just have some water to brush your teeth and you are set to go. No shower but it's only a day, hit a campground the next night. If you are coming as far as Calgary you should go from Banff to Jasper on the Ice Fields Parkway Hwy 93. We live just outside Jasper park and last year we have had some forum members stop in for the night on their ride. They all thought the Hwy 93 parkway was a ride to see. You shouldn't miss it!!! If you do that ride PM me to see if we'll be here and you'll have a place to spend the night, we have room. Have a good ride and enjoy the planning also.

Thank you for the tips and offer, I may make take you up on that offer or at least say hello. When my wife and I went to Sturgis we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies on the way to LA. We had a tent, air mattress, 2 foldup chairs a computer, cloths for 2, my wife's insulin supplies, she's a diabetic, a small computer, and don't forget the hair drier.

We plan on traveling a little lighter this trip. My sister lives in Sioux Falls and my wife's son lives in Calgary. There's nothing like traveling on a bike to see and smell the sites. I don't plan on doing any cooking on the road we'll get all our meals at restaurants.

What type of camp sites did you stay at, KOA's?

Last edited by rstekeur; 11-24-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: First time camping