Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First time camping

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010 | 06:24 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

We stayed at one KOA, thought it was quite expensive. The rest were just any campsite we came across. We have a tent, two little self inflating air mattresses, bag with rain gear, clothes for two, a few other little odds and ends. Two sleeping bags one a thin fleece with nylon shell and the other one is down. If it was hot at night the thin fleece goes on top, and a cool evening down on top. Oh yes some tools,,, just in case. Not a lot of room for anything else but we are comfy and enjoy the ride.

Old 11-24-2010 | 06:55 PM
DBlass
Tourer

I did two camping trips this last summer, which was my first attempt at camping with my bike. Here are a few things I learned.

I packed so much stuff, I could not have accomodated a second person.
Food took up too much room. I converted one of my saddle bags to an ice chest and the other just held kitchen items. I would forgo all food except for perhaps snacks and coffee in the morning. Eat at cafes.
Cheap tents are small but can't hold up to the elements. If you are only fair weather (light rain) camping, they are OK. Otherwise, buy one that can take the elements.
Air mattresses are a must (IMHO). I put a cigarette adapter on my battery charger plug (lengthen it to stay in my windsheild pouch (I charge my iPhone during the day). The pump ate up 12 amps so I had to up the fuse in the battery charger cable. There were no issues.
Setting up and tearing down everyday was a drag and takes about an hour on either end.
I brought a cheap folding chair. It was worth it but again, ate up room
I am tempted to buy a trailer to alleviate all the issues. We'll see.

Old 11-24-2010 | 08:16 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Personally, my experience with an air mat one trip was enough to make me buy a foam self-inflating 2"x25" unit. No comparison. As for food, you have to pack the right stuff and you'll still be crowded. Learn from the backpacker websites. Stuff like nuts, MetRx bars, powdered milk pack a lot of good calories in a small space. Crap like Ramen noodles are just empty calories and a waste of space and time. Dried fruit and veggies lighten the kitchen since you add the water in camp. I take beef jerkey along, but you have to be careful about moisture getting to it: it molds in one day.
I got a 3 man 4 season tent with dual vestibules off Fleabay for $145 or so and it's just big enough for me and the wife when she comes. The vestibules are how you make room in the tent, by putting your boots and gear under the flap outside. We actually have a little room between us. We overloaded the Heritage at about 32 lbs. last trip with all this gear aboard - the pic doesn't even do it all justice:

Old 11-24-2010 | 09:39 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rstekeur
I am starting to plan a trip this coming summer from SW Florida to Calgary Canada. It's about 6400 miles round trip. My wife and I have taken 2 and 3 week trips, the longest one was to New Mexico and back but on all of our trips we have stayed in motels. This time I was thinking about taking 3 weeks and bring the tent and sleeping bags and camp as much as possible. The only time we camped was at Sturgis for 5 days and that's an experience in it's self. Anyone have any tips or camping stories to share?
If you're going to ride 2 up with all that gear, pull a trailer. You don't want to be a thousand miles from home and go down in a parking lot because your bike is top heavy.

Old 11-25-2010 | 08:29 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

You could buy your wife a bike to ride then you would have double the packing space!
But really, on camping trips I always go with buddies so we can spred out the camping gear on each others bikes. The one we always remember is one of our army ponchos and bunji cords, small and they dont take a lot of space. Works great for covering the riding gear outside the tent or sleeping under if its a nice night. We also have gortex rain covers for our sleeping bags, if you feel like ruffing it with no tent for a night or two?

Old 11-25-2010 | 03:01 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

Took a month off last summer and went cross country. From NC to the Pacific. Stayed at State Parks mosta the time, a few nites in a Hotel along the way and a few Comercial Campgrounds too. I packed pretty light:
An air matress and a battery powered pump, an REI sleeping bag (with a compression bag) and an old 2 person Coleman Tent...I slept like a King! MRE's (with the chemical heater included) are pretty good, and compact. A small colapsable cooler that strapped to my tourpack under tha cargo net was a must. I found I could always get enough free ice at Fountain Drink Machines when I gassed up to keep things cold. A small propane stove, a mess kit and a chair, and 2 canteens.
I ate mostly at cheap diners, or fast food joints for a late breakfast/early lunch. Tried to have snacks on hand for mid day & usually grabbed something simple to cook up or eat cold at the campsite for dinner.

Old 11-25-2010 | 05:36 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The wife and I have camped all across the country, and have found that the state parks are usually the cleanest and best kept campgrounds. I avoid KOA's unless there is no other choice, since they are more geared towards the motor home crowd and often you have to pitch your tent on a concrete slab. They do have nice showers and laundry facilities though.

Most of our camping gear is designed with backpacking in mind, packs small and light weight. If you don't plan on cooking any meals I would recomend carrying at least some kind of snacks, granola bars, nuts, etc., and water.

As someone else suggested, riding 2-up on a bike doesn't leave a lot of room for camping gear, so pulling a light cargo trailer can be a big help.

My wife rides her own bike, and that more than doubles the amount of stuff we can carry.

Here's a site dedicated to motorcycle camping. Not real active, but a lot of good informatin there: www.motocampers.com

Old 11-25-2010 | 05:54 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member

I camped at Sturgis, It wasn't that bad at all. I did end up buying an inflatable mattress and a real pillow after the first night. Not that it would have mattered anyway, When I hit the pillow, I passed out anyway.

Old 11-25-2010 | 08:13 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

If ya don't drink or party, other conditions need to be right, like tent, bag and pad. As for campsites, I only need quiet and a water supply.

Old 11-25-2010 | 11:04 PM
Royal271
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lizdc
I have written a lot about camping off my bike. I am a camper have been my whole life. I will dig up some of the threads on camping where I explain all the gear I have gotten for bike camping. Main thing is get decent gear. Go to an actual out door store. My favorite is REI. This is REALLY important for tents and also your sleeping bag. Cheap tents leak their seems are not sealed. Since you are planning on camping on a longer trip you will run into rain sometime. Other thing about cheap tents is that they have bad ventilation. I did (ok my friend Ant) found a motorcycle chair from JP cycles which is really cool. And my favaorite stove is pocket rocket stove. I have a french press mug for coffee. A camping flask from Bass pro shop. And since I camp at rallys too a back packing table.. ALL of this fits in a large black duffle from REI that I strap to the bike. I keep it packed and just go when I want to.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...k-on-bike.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-question.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...y-cruiser.html

I just read all of the threads you referenced. Great info! I still need more experience, but before too long.....

Quick Reply: First time camping