Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Consecutive days of long miles TOO hard on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

might as well get the paperwork and do a couple of iron butts while you are at it. that will always be a conversation starter!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Think this has been pretty well answered you will give out long before the bike does .. Back in my early 20's did 11,000 miles around the country on an Ironhead Sportster and it loved it ..

Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

You'd better get a seriously padded seat installed before the ride. I rode from Virginia to Iowa and back to Virginia, with a side trip to S.C., in April to get my sidecar installed. It was over 3900 miles total and the bike held up fine. But, my *** felt like it had blisters on it every single day until the ride was over. I only rode about 400 - 500 miles a day. I can't imagine sitting on that seat for 1000 per day.

If you don't get a cushioned seat installed, I'd seriously consider breaking the trip up into manageable segments, 400-500 miles per day at most.

Bubba

Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get yourself one of those soft *** covers for the seat, I believe they are made out of sheep wool.

It breathes, it cushions, and you don't have the cost of an entire seat, use it when you need it.

Numb butt is only one worry, for me the arms extended for hours would get painful too.

My preference for "trippng on the Harley" is to stop and smell the roses as often as I can.

Hell if your just gonna fly to point "B" why not trailer the bikes to the area you want to explore?

BTW how old / young are you?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default miles per day

PIECE OF CAKE!
800 to 1,000 miles days are typical on my Dyna. With the proper seat and motorcycle set up, not a problem.
Attached photos were taken last summer in the middle of a 5,000 mile west coast trip.

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
hey all - I am trying to plan my next summers trip with my brother and we were thinking of riding to San Francisco from our home in Minneapolis, MN. It is just over 2000 miles and I figure we can do it in 2 days or at least less than 2 and a half days. I base this on how we rode during our trip to Colorado this past summer - we were told to plan only to ride about 500 to 600 miles a day and that would be grueling - turns out the first day we made it to Sterling, CO which is just under 900 miles and we were very willing and able to go the rest of the way to Colorado Springs or at least the 2 hours to Denver but the sun was going down so we stopped for the night. We would plan on winging it to San Francisco, and IF we feel a second day of 1000 miles is getting hard we could pull off 600 the second day and do the final 400 the third day.

So, my question is this - if we can do it physically, would back to back 1000 mile days be too hard on the bike? Any tips???

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Consecutive days of long miles TOO hard on the bike?-100_2038.jpg   Consecutive days of long miles TOO hard on the bike?-100_2064.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have your bike checked from head to tail prior to leaving on your trip. My EG's engine self destructed because of a faulty seal at 5K miles. Thankfully it was a warranty issue.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Dude, if you’re going to do that you need to visit here (http://ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm) and get your IBA certificate. Go for the Saddle Sore and Bunn Burner back to back.
Sorry they don’t give it to bikes just the riders. Bike doesn’t care anyway.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I did just over 700 miles a day last summer for 3 days straight. From Cleveland, Ohio to L.A., CA. On a Duece with a stock seat. I'm 57 years old and the bike is 9. We both made it without a hitch.

But next year I'm doing it on the new Ultra Limited And I can't wait!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
...So, my question is this - if we can do it physically, would back to back 1000 mile days be too hard on the bike? Any tips???
HD has a test facility at the Talladega Super Speedway and they ride those bikes for hours/days/weeks at a time on that track.

As suggested above, figure out what makes you want to get off the bike after a few miles and fix it.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks all for your replies. To answer some questions: I am 41 years old and the bike is a 2000 RKC; I thought about trailering the bikes, but I don't have a trailer or the size vehicle needed to do that and the expense of renting those is just too much; thought about flying to CA and then renting bikes but again costs too much; I have a Sundowner seat and it is very comfortable - handled the 1000 miles to CO trip just fine; I will definately look into the Iron Butt certification - I could probably get several in one trip; I will definately have the bike checked out - bike has 30000 miles on it so I should have the tensioners inspected, I also need tires and will have the 10000 service done; and, as much as I would like to stop and smell the roses along the way, I only have 10 days to get to CA, enjoy San Francisco and LA and ride the Pacific Coast Hiway...a lot to pack in! Thanks again.

My main concern was overheating and aside from suggestions to have a fresh oil change and check it periodically, that doesn't seem to be a concern.

Quick Reply: Consecutive days of long miles TOO hard on the bike?