Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heading North Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Duke02
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading North Today

Around lunch time today, the wife and I will head North out of Cumming, GA towards Andrews, NC. We'll eat dinner at the Huddle House near the little hotel we'll stay in for the night after we've danced a bit at Jimmy's Pick'n Grin. Wake up Sunday morning and either hit the Cherohala Skyway or the Dragon's Tail, then the trek home.

(We are getting the bike back today from having a LOT of maintenance/preventative maintenance work done (40,000+ miles worth of it) so we're ready!

Picked up the cold weather gear and the iMC intercom systems so we'll be able to talk about how cold we are!

Ride safe everyone and if anyone is near our route, a hot cup of coffee would be a nice break!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better check the weather if your going on your bike. Herd on our local weather that there was a winter storm warning in that area. They showed snow in Maggie Valley yesterday..

Old 11-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Duke02
Cruiser

Yep... Upper elevations for sure getting some snow and flurries! We are on the bike, but should weather dictate new routes or destinations, so be it! That's what it's all about for us... The adventure. We have a planned destination but no hotel reservations, so if we need to change on the fly, we're good!

This early in the game, ice is my only real concern but think we may get by for leaving this late in the day, no early/late riding and the roads for the most part should be warm enough..

We'll see though!

Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Sounds like an adventure.......folks like me need pictures with a story! Are we bringing a camera?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Duke02
Cruiser

Camera? Oh, yes! I don't care if we ride to the store together or across a few states... Meli amazes me with 100's of pictures when we get home! She sits on the back just "snapping away" the whole ride!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Excellent.....I(We) are looking forward to a good adventure!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Duke02
Cruiser

Well, no pictures... Sorry but there was no way my wife was going to pull the gloves off to snap any!

We headed out yesterday, all layered up for what we knew would be a chilly ride North into Andrews, NC (just a hair East of Murphy).

We got towards Vogel State Park and my wife was already cold. I pointed to the mountain tops and said, "It could be worse!" as they were snow capped! 10 seconds later, my wife points to the sides of the roads where sure enough, she had noticed the snow there as well!

We stopped for some hot coffee in Blairsville, GA, just before the GA/NC state line. Coffee was hot and much needed! Got back on the bike and finished the run to the hotel where we cranked up the heat and prepared for a Huddle House dinner and dancing at Jimmy's Pick'n Grin. We got warmed up, cleaned up and fed where we heard that 129 was closed at Deal's Gap due to ice. NO PROBLEM!!!!! We decided that we'd just live with dinner and dancing as well as the ride there and back. So we danced from 7PM to 10PM and hit the sack, leary of what temperature we'd wake up to...

The magic number this morning was 23 (degrees) and the bike was covered in frost. (Okay, I admit that I woke up at 7:30 so we had plenty of time for the sun to work it's magic.

We waited until 10:30 and it warmed up to something above 30 degrees and we hit the road back home. Every minute we were riding, the temperature crept up bit by bit! Arrived home safe and sound (and warmer than when we had left NC), so all in all, the trip was a winner!

Sorry for not having pictures, but it just wasn't going to happen!!