Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Got my Mile Post today

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010 | 12:21 PM
Nokkon Wud
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Default Got my Mile Post today

Yepper! Alaska here I come!

Old 11-04-2010 | 09:16 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Milepost

Cool. That's a good start. My wife and I rode our bikes from lakeland to the arctic circle last summer. Best rode trip we ever had. Good luck with it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom

Old 11-05-2010 | 08:40 AM
Nokkon Wud
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

How long did it take you? What was your route?

Old 11-05-2010 | 03:07 PM
slothy
Road Warrior

subscribed.. - doing Alaska next year solo from Michigan, always love to hear stories or routes people recommend.

Old 11-05-2010 | 05:41 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by slothy
subscribed.. - doing Alaska next year solo from Michigan, always love to hear stories or routes people recommend.
I rode solo from Richmond, Virginia to Alaska and the Arctic Circle this past summer. Took me 11,660 miles and 29 days to make the round trip. It was a trip of a lifetime!!! There is really only one route and that is up the Alaska Highway (unless you go by boat/ferry!!). I started the Alaska Highway at milepost 0 at Dawson Creek, British Columbia. I also came back that same route. There is another highway that some take that is farther west to connect to the Alaska Highway at Watson Lake and that is the Cassiar Highway. That was just too far west for me coming from the east coast. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-05-2010 | 05:45 PM
dano309
Road Warrior

you are truly an ironbutt.........hope to do something like this after retirement........

Old 11-05-2010 | 05:53 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by dano309
you are truly an ironbutt.........hope to do something like this after retirement........
Yep, that is a good time to do it. I retired on June 1 of this year and left on the trip on June 7!!

Old 11-05-2010 | 10:28 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Milepost

I had about a month off to do this trip. My wife is a Teacher but I have a normal job so getting off a month was a first for me. It took us a better part of a week to get up to Seattle. We kind of hopped around a little to see friends in Tennessee, Colorado then into Seattle. We went up to Vancouver then the Sea to Sky Highway by Whistler where the Olympics were held. That was one of the most scenic routes I've been on. Hardly no traffic. We then kind of criss-crossed BC and eventually went up the Cassair Hwy. I highly recommend it over the AlCan. Very primitive and beautiful with hardly no civilization. The road was in great condition. There was one section about 4 miles that was new gravel that was fun but other than that very good. I talked to a guy who traveled that road later in July and told me it was paved so now the whole road is finished. Once you get to Yukon only two ways into Alaska by road. We went the AlCan and then traveled just about every other road in Alaska while we were there. We came back down from Haines on the Ferry. Nice trip through the inner passage but too long for me. I had to get back to work so we shipped our bikes back from Seattle. All told we went right under 9,000 miles without the round trip to Florida.

Old 11-06-2010 | 07:32 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain

I would like to take the Alcan to Alaska one day, don't know about a two wheel journey.

Old 11-06-2010 | 07:45 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
Yepper! Alaska here I come!
AWESOME!! It's a GREAT source of information for your journey. When you come thru Palmer AK give me a shout! Are you planning on next summer?

Quick Reply: Got my Mile Post today