Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Got my Mile Post today

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010 | 08:00 AM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

That sounds absolutely amazing! Fl to AK! One day! Please keep us in the loop!

Old 11-06-2010 | 08:01 AM
Dick Long
3rd Gear

you will love the trip, done it several times, the roads are great now compared to yesteryear, my last trip their we done the nwt also, over 500 miles of crazy gravels, went around the great slave lake, been to the artic circle and deadhorse, the kenai penesala, done 12109 miles in 18 days in 08, with 4 days screwing around , all on a 1971 electraglide with over 250k miles on it. this is the best trip in north america, b.c. is hard to beat. hope you have a great time.

Old 11-06-2010 | 08:03 AM
Dick Long
3rd Gear

the cassier hwy is one of the best senic roads on the trip, try not to miss it next time.

Old 11-06-2010 | 10:08 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member

If you are in the Jasper area on your trip we have room if you want to spend the night. Last year we had five people from the forum spend the night on their way north, and we also met a couple from Cal. in Jasper for a bite to eat. We couldn't have asked to meet nicer folks, Jim Claypool being one of them. Any way the offer is out there if you want to take advantage of it. PM me when the time is near to make sure we'll be here. Have a good ride.

Last edited by Silver Fox; 11-08-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2010 | 11:21 AM
Nokkon Wud
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I'd like to hit it next summer hopefully but it maybe 2012 we'll see. At this point it looks like it will be a solo trip as the guys I'd like to go with can't and the guys that want to go I'm not keen on making that long of a trip with for various reasons.

I would like to hit the inside ferry maybe on the way back for a bit just to see things from that angle. Some of those routes are pretty dang long. 59 hours one says.

TFT Tom What was your route across the U.S.?

Silverfox You will be remembered believe me and thanks for the invite!

Old 11-07-2010 | 05:15 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Milepost

Raider Bill,

Sure was beautiful riding out today in central Florida wasn't it? That's why I live here. Routes acroos the US are like asking a bunch of guys which women make better lovers, red heads or brunettes. Everybody has their likes and dislikes. Traveling across the mid US on a bike in the summer time is a real MF'er so for me the farther north I can get the better. I lived in Texas many years and made the trip to Sturgis so I know what I'm talking about. Basically we went due north through Tenn. then across Kansas to Denver. Got lucky going across Kansas. It was only in the 80's. Once in Colorado we went to Rocky Mountain NP then across rt. 40 to Dinosaur NM. High plains are hot around there but scenery is worth it. From there we went up Rt 189 through Grand Teton NP then Yellowstone NP. We came out and went north through Boseman Mt. I didn't make reservations in the US for hotels but I did in BC and Alaska. By the time we got out of Yellowstone we had eaten up almost a week and where in jeopardy of throwing off our schedule going North. So with that, we went across 90 and into Seattle to see an old army buddy (35 years later). The rest of the trip I already commented on. The Cassair is a cool Highway. If you have the time drive around the seven sisters mountains at the entrance and go down to Prince Rupert on rt. 16. That may even be a get off point if you travel back down from Alaska on the Ferry. Ferry was nice but too long and expensive for me.

Next year is a new year. We are planning our trip now for Idaho and Glacier NP. Good luck with your trip and I hope you can plan it out. Let me know if you need any info.

Tom

Old 11-07-2010 | 05:20 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Deadhorse?

Originally Posted by Dick Long
you will love the trip, done it several times, the roads are great now compared to yesteryear, my last trip their we done the nwt also, over 500 miles of crazy gravels, went around the great slave lake, been to the artic circle and deadhorse, the kenai penesala, done 12109 miles in 18 days in 08, with 4 days screwing around , all on a 1971 electraglide with over 250k miles on it. this is the best trip in north america, b.c. is hard to beat. hope you have a great time.

Dick,

You rode your Shovelhead up to Deadhorse? I rode my dresser to the Circle in the rain and that was enough for me.

Tom

Old 11-07-2010 | 06:06 PM
Nokkon Wud
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by TFTom
Raider Bill,

Sure was beautiful riding out today in central Florida wasn't it? That's why I live here. Routes acroos the US are like asking a bunch of guys which women make better lovers, red heads or brunettes. Everybody has their likes and dislikes. Traveling across the mid US on a bike in the summer time is a real MF'er so for me the farther north I can get the better. I lived in Texas many years and made the trip to Sturgis so I know what I'm talking about. Basically we went due north through Tenn. then across Kansas to Denver. Got lucky going across Kansas. It was only in the 80's. Once in Colorado we went to Rocky Mountain NP then across rt. 40 to Dinosaur NM. High plains are hot around there but scenery is worth it. From there we went up Rt 189 through Grand Teton NP then Yellowstone NP. We came out and went north through Boseman Mt. I didn't make reservations in the US for hotels but I did in BC and Alaska. By the time we got out of Yellowstone we had eaten up almost a week and where in jeopardy of throwing off our schedule going North. So with that, we went across 90 and into Seattle to see an old army buddy (35 years later). The rest of the trip I already commented on. The Cassair is a cool Highway. If you have the time drive around the seven sisters mountains at the entrance and go down to Prince Rupert on rt. 16. That may even be a get off point if you travel back down from Alaska on the Ferry. Ferry was nice but too long and expensive for me.

Next year is a new year. We are planning our trip now for Idaho and Glacier NP. Good luck with your trip and I hope you can plan it out. Let me know if you need any info.

Tom
Beautiful riding yesterday and today!

True enough on riding across the US. Notice my map, No Kansas or Nebraska...yet....... They must be the fat girl states... I guess at this point I 'll just work around places I have friends I can bunk with and or places I want to see.
I did notice the ferry ride was pretty dang expensive. Oh well part of the trip I guess. Save a dime here blow a dollar there........... I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-13-2010 | 05:11 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

I'm in the VERY early stages of planning my Alaska trip for '12. Check out advrider.com for lots of info on two wheeled m/c trips to Alaska.