Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

HOG Membership Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM
redultra02
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the deluxe package for $20 a year. Had to use it a couple years back when I was on road trip 400 miles from home. Was very happy with service I got, less than a hour and bike was loaded and on way to be repaired.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another option if available to you in your state, is the RV AAA membership.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Thanks for all of the feedback......some good accounts, some bad. Macker, that sounds like the adventure of a lifetime! The kind you do not want to repeat! I hope to stay away from anything like that. I'll check AAA and elsewhere first.

Thanks for all of the good info.....!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have used it three times, and had good, experienced tow truck operators haul it to my house, or to their locked storage til the dealership opened. Definitely upgrade to Deluxe. Good peace of mind when you're out on a long trip.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Macker
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chaz in FL
Thanks for all of the feedback......some good accounts, some bad. Macker, that sounds like the adventure of a lifetime! The kind you do not want to repeat! I hope to stay away from anything like that. I'll check AAA and elsewhere first.

Thanks for all of the good info.....!
Chaz the ironic thing is, at the time I was and still am, a AAA member. Like I said before, I used the HOG membership to tow the bike cause I had bought into their line that it would be towed by somebody with more experience handling the harley. I'll use AAA in the future.

The trip was TX to NY and the only bad part was the end there. My brother had passed away the year before and I wanted to go back later after the funeral to visit the grave again and see the headstone. The acccident happened just after leaving a stop light 1/4 mi from the cemetary. Never did get back to visit the grave on that trip. $5,000 damage to the front end of the bike and my thumb will never be quite the same.

Try to laugh about things though. A buddy had family in PA so we rode up together, he on his Goldwing, split up and set a meeting place and time for the return trip 3 days later. I call him to to tell him I wasn't gonna make the return trip and he starts reaming out before I could explain. He starts with "What you're Harley break down" etc etc. I tell him I was laying in the hospital being checked out and the bike is wrecked. He apologized over and over at the time but I still give him hell about it and laugh about it now.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally speaking, most service have a list of locals in that area, doesn't matter which provide you go with chances are you're going to get the same tow service. I like the HOG Deluxe because I don't occur any out of pocket expenses. Worth the $20 a year.

I ride a lot in Colorado, a tow to the nearest dealer might be over 60 miles. Most tow services are just local and could cost you an arm and leg if the nearest dealer is 100 miles.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

As other have said, contact your own motorcycle insurance and ask them what is your coverage.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaz in FL
Has anyone had any experience with this organization? I am a HOG member since I purchased my bike last summer. The wife and I are planning to ship the bikes from Florida to Wyoming and ride back. I was wondering if there was any snags in response time or customer service I need to know about before I spend any more of my $$ . Knowing me, I'll get us lost in Nebraska and break something. I just want to get a bead on how this service works. Can I expect rescue in a day? Or will I have to go toe to toe with the "Children of the Corn" overnight until someone bails us out at daybreak

Thanks in advance!
I have used HOG road side assistance: four inch screw through my back tire from construction zone. The response time was very comparable to AAA or any other automotive tow truck times. You will be in good hands. Go with confidence.

USMAMule

Old 11-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I sincerely hope you're not flying the bikes out to Wyoming now, this time of year. I-80 was closed yesterday because of a snow storm. It's wintertime in Wyoming.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Fatboy Spade
Novice

I had to use the towing service this summer. I got a flat tire 60 miles from my preferred dealer. Tow truck showed up after 2 hrs. Cost and additional $100. Great service at Wilkin HD in Barre Vt. It took less time to get a new tire installed than for the wreaked to show up.

Quick Reply: HOG Membership Roadside Assistance