Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What do you pack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:24 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What do you pack?

Just bought my first Harley (2010 SG) and I'm looking forward to the road trips . Instead of learning by trial and error, I figured I would solicit some input from the experienced HD travelers in the forum. What are your "must haves" that you pack to make your trip easier/more comfortable?

I purchased a stock EG/Ultra seat to put on my bike for trips. I borrowed my buddy's EG several times prior to buying mine and I found that seat comfortable enough for the long haul. Another thing that I used once when borrowing his bike was his T-Bag Lone Star and I REALLY liked it. It has made me realize that I don't need to buy the King Tour Pak after all (unless my wife wants it for the comfort).

My main staples now are my clothes and my Glock, so I need your help filling in the rest. Thanks for the input!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Blackheat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tour pak and also brought T-bag (bra and boot case) if the old lady comes you will need extra room. Pack rain suit, never know, basic tool set, usually you can get away with 3 pair jeans (you can also do laundry on the road)so no need to pack everything, something else to walk around in. since you ride in boots you will want to change up some guys can't wear boots 24/7.
Quart of oil and some brake fluid (wrap tops serval layers of duct tape and place in separate baggies).

Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Rain gear regardless of the what the weatherman says. I always have a small tool kit with a bottle of "Fix a Flat" to let me limp to a station. If it's an overnighter or extended trip I have a small laptop to get on the net and save my pictures. GPS/iPhone

I'm sure there is more.....

Old 10-22-2010, 04:53 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaz in FL
Rain gear regardless of the what the weatherman says. I always have a small tool kit with a bottle of "Fix a Flat" to let me limp to a station. If it's an overnighter or extended trip I have a small laptop to get on the net and save my pictures. GPS/iPhone

I'm sure there is more.....
Has your laptop held up well to the vibration? I thought about that, but was concerned about the vibrations rattling something loose with all of those tiny, barely soldered connections on modern laptops

Old 10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

kel-tec 9mm..........concealed

Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Pack each day of clothes in a large zip lock bag. Press all the air out of it and it will take up 1/2 the space. Plus it keeps dirty or wet clothes seperate from clean ones.

Pack extra zip lock bags.

There is a Wal-Mart every mile, so don't sweat under packing.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Kel Tec PF 9, oh wait you meant other stuff for the trip...

As others have noted; clothes, rain gear, tool kit. Of course as noted, if the wife is going along, I don't have room to carry much more than the clothes on my back and the PF 9 if she takes all she wants to on every trip.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:33 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Just bought my first Harley (2010 SG) and I'm looking forward to the road trips . Instead of learning by trial and error, I figured I would solicit some input from the experienced HD travelers in the forum. What are your "must haves" that you pack to make your trip easier/more comfortable?
Good question, but there is no "right" answer. It all depends on what type of rider you are. Biggest question is how comfortable do you want to be.

The least I've taken for a 3+ day trip is the clothes I was wearing, a change of underwear/socks, toothbrush, and a sleeping bag. I slept under the stars at night with the bike beside me, but I haven't done that kind of travelling in a half-decade or so.

Now, besides the bare essentials (underwear, socks, rain gear, etc.) I usually bring along a nice DSLR camera (Nikon D90) with extra lens, a netbook (I usually have to do some business from the road, otherwise I can't afford to be on the road), and my listening gear (XM receiver, MP3 player, GPS).

I don't camp a lot anymore -- though I'll do it a couple times a year -- and most of my nights are in decent hotels. So my comfort level has changed a lot in the last 40 years of riding. I find I enjoy my rides a lot more when I'm well rested after a night in a real bed with a private bathroom just a few steps away.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:52 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default additionally

1st aid kit w/ pain-killers.
Mosquito repellent.
Head-mounted LED light & flashlight.
Water bottles.
Snack-bars and dehydrated meals.
Backpack stove and cooking kit.
Spare eyeglasses.
Cold-weather clothes.
Oklahoma credit card.
Pledge and microfiber cloth.
Bike cover.
Toilet paper.
Tire pressure gauge.
Cigarette lighter.
Duct tape.
Giant tie-wraps.
Spare cell phone battery and fuses.
Large trash bag.
Velcro straps.
GPS, maps & atlas.
Backpack tent.
Blow-up sleeping bag pad.

Last edited by lo-rider; 10-23-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

o.k. lowrider, i have lead a sheltered life. what is an oklahoma credit card?

Quick Reply: What do you pack?