Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What do you pack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

For sure basic tools relater to bike, some zips and duct tape, small striped down air compressor with patch kit and fix a flat. Clothes that can be layered to temp changes. Throw in some bottle water and cereal bars. Clothes...remember your not workin out so I can use a det more than one dya, phone charger and gps.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 AM
mikedetejas
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan conner
o.k. lowrider, i have lead a sheltered life. what is an oklahoma credit card?

Siphon hose.

The following users liked this post:
Diena souper (05-03-2018)
Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Has your laptop held up well to the vibration? I thought about that, but was concerned about the vibrations rattling something loose with all of those tiny, barely soldered connections on modern laptops
Yes with absolutely no problems. I pack it in my "tootsie roll tech bag" that sits on the top of my T-bag. No issues.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Pack each day of clothes in a large zip lock bag. Press all the air out of it and it will take up 1/2 the space. Plus it keeps dirty or wet clothes seperate from clean ones.

Pack extra zip lock bags.

There is a Wal-Mart every mile, so don't sweat under packing.
+1 Get the Kind Tour pack, she will fill it up, it also gives you a lockable storage for leather jackets or helmets when you get to the hotel and go sightseeing. If more than 7 days, we pick a motel halfway through the trip that has a laundry and wash clothes. Also, take less T shirts than you need and buy T's as you travel. If you buy too many,mail them home

Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I often over pack, but on overnight rides that take two or three days i always end up using my flashlight. I keep band aids because my wife is clumsy. Rain gear, tool kit and air pump for the shocks always go with me. Sunblock and chapstick come in handy. Baby wipes and TP if your out in the middle of no where. I carry a handheld garmin to help with map checks. The rest depends on how many days and is just common sence stuff like cloths and hygene stuff unless camping and then the bags and tent get bungied onto the rack on the tour pack.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 AM
DeadBirdDog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a King Tour-Pak on my Road Glide (yet) but for the past few years I've made do with a Kuryakyn Full Dresser Bag. I use one saddle bag for all my cold/bad weather gear and tools(if there's even a remote chance of either it goes) and the other bag for my netbook and other various and sundry items. I lived out of the Dresser Bag for almost three weeks on the road without any problems. If you can't pack it in there you probably don't need it anyway. On long trips you can easily find someplace to do laundry when you stop at night.

Essentials include the following:

Tire patch kit
Streamlight Stinger flashlight and charger
Tool bag with allen and torx sets. (The usual stuff you'll need if something breaks)
Extra quart of oil

Most importantly: Glock 27 and two extra mags.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it all fits on here.

Attached Thumbnails What do you pack?-pict3638.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Triptaking !

I ride solo so packing isn't a problem. I have a Saddleman s3500 bag that works well for me. Hint on lugguage, keep the rain cover on while riding. Keeps people from just peeping in your back. I also have a small cable lock that secures it to the bike.

I keep my rain gear on top in my right saddle bag, under it is my fix-a-flat and small compressor. I have the tool tether that goes on your saddlebag lit and holds four headed screwdriver, leatherman, tire gauge, and a 90% bend valve extenstion ( putting air in my tires are a b|t$h ) on the other side I keep misc stuff like maps ( very important to have a map of the states you are going thru ) I pick them up at the visitors center when I enter a new state ( always free ). GPS's are nice and I use on all the time but I need the wider view the maps give for my planning.

I carry a cheap reflective vest like the high workers use ( $5 at Harbor Freight ).
I put this on during rain and if you have to stop beside the road for any kind of repairs. Also a reflect belt like runners wear, I put it around my black luggage at night so I'm more visible.

Clothes: tshirt/underwear/sock ( for each day ), two pair of jeans, two long sleeve shirts, layered jacket ( has removable full sleeve liner and rain liner ). I believe in layering up for the conditions. If I'm going to be gone more then a week, I plan on washing once around day 4 ..

Helmet: I bought some black reflect material that is in 8x10 sheets. It's black but when light hits it glows white. I cut panel strips to fit my helmet ( it's black ) so you don't notice it unless your holding it in your hands. This really lights you up at night.

Chap Stick is you best friend on these trips. Nothing worst then sipping beer over cracked lips ! I also pack Motrin and Benedryl. I don't want to have to find a 7-11 at midnight when I can't sleep because my back hurts .. I had allergic reaction once to soap at a hotel. I about died before I could find some Benedryl so it stays in my shaving kit !

Attached Thumbnails What do you pack?-colorado09-_10_.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedetejas
Siphon hose.
We have those in Arkansas, great if someone runs out and needs a pint !

Old 10-26-2010, 05:14 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Instead of learning by trial and error, I figured I would solicit some input from the experienced HD travelers in the forum. What are your "must haves" that you pack to make your trip easier/more comfortable?
A little bad news... you probably will go through some trial and error, because everyone is a little different. There has been tons of stuff written on this subject and everyone of them is slightly different. Some advice though...

- Don't pack anything you don't need and won't use. Space is limited. The only exception to this rule is rain and cold weather gear.

- A good bike cover will keep your seat dry, save your bike from rust, and is a mild theft deterrent.

- Stay organized. Living out of a bag is not fun when everything is all stirred together.

- Think "small". I pack sample sizes for things like pain reliever, shampoo, soap, etc.

- Always remember that... adventures suck while you are having them.

Quick Reply: What do you pack?