Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ft.Lauderdale--BRP--Gatlinburg,Tenn.---Ft.Lauderdale

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Love the mountians but it seems like gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are like Myrtle Beach without the ocean. Kinda just big tourist traps. Glad you had fun though and your wife is not a bad photographer. The pics are very nice

Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM
FBLJosh
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics. I'm also from that area, but will be moving back at the beginning of summer next year. I was actually up there last week and did a ride for one day and hit the Cherohala Skyway, but that's all I had time for. Wish I could've gotten on the BRP! The leaves were certainly peaking at around 5000 feet on the Skyway. As already said, great looking pics.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Originally Posted by 55Bubba
Love the mountians but it seems like gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are like Myrtle Beach without the ocean. Kinda just big tourist traps. Glad you had fun though and your wife is not a bad photographer. The pics are very nice

thank-you..........we try to avoid the traps....shop where the locals shop etc..over all a nice town if ya can avoid the crowds....

Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FBLJosh
Nice pics. I'm also from that area, but will be moving back at the beginning of summer next year. I was actually up there last week and did a ride for one day and hit the Cherohala Skyway, but that's all I had time for. Wish I could've gotten on the BRP! The leaves were certainly peaking at around 5000 feet on the Skyway. As already said, great looking pics.

thank-you....congrats on your move....it will be 2-3 yrs for us....

Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Great trip!!!

Last weekend the wife and I rode up just north of Pigeon Forge and stayed two nights in a cabin. It was our first time out there and boy did we learn alot! That town ain't my cup o' tea. I joked to the guy that we rented the cabin from that the gridlock in the middle of Atlanta wasn't as bad as the traffic was there. Leason learned. Will stay out and away from the carnival atmospher from now on. I will say that my breath was taken away on 441 southbound from Townsend. Words simply cannot describe the beauty!! Headed up to Highlands NC in the am. The area is simply spectacular. Great trip for you guys...I'm jealous!!! Gonna plan it for next fall!! Good times!

Beav

Attached Thumbnails Ft.Lauderdale--BRP--Gatlinburg,Tenn.---Ft.Lauderdale-tennesse-ride-oct-10-072.jpg   Ft.Lauderdale--BRP--Gatlinburg,Tenn.---Ft.Lauderdale-tennesse-ride-oct-10-055.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 01:54 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beav
Last weekend the wife and I rode up just north of Pigeon Forge and stayed two nights in a cabin. It was our first time out there and boy did we learn alot! That town ain't my cup o' tea. I joked to the guy that we rented the cabin from that the gridlock in the middle of Atlanta wasn't as bad as the traffic was there. Leason learned. Will stay out and away from the carnival atmospher from now on. I will say that my breath was taken away on 441 southbound from Townsend. Words simply cannot describe the beauty!! Headed up to Highlands NC in the am. The area is simply spectacular. Great trip for you guys...I'm jealous!!! Gonna plan it for next fall!! Good times!

Beav
Ya...the traffic thru Gatlinburg and PF gets bad around noon on thru till after the supper hour....when we go we try to be on foot after lunch...do our rides in the am......sounds like y'all had a great ride too...

Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pictures. I was on the Parkway this past weekend. I only went from Linville to Asheville, about 75 miles. The leaves were beautiful below 4500'. They wer long gone above 5000' especiall in and aroung Mount Mitchell. The roads were busy with leaf watchers from all over the country. I stoped at Lexington Ave. Brewery in Asheville. They have good food and great microbrews. Asheville is an interesting destionation all to itself.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rick-e-b
Nice pictures. I was on the Parkway this past weekend. I only went from Linville to Asheville, about 75 miles. The leaves were beautiful below 4500'. They wer long gone above 5000' especiall in and aroung Mount Mitchell. The roads were busy with leaf watchers from all over the country. I stoped at Lexington Ave. Brewery in Asheville. They have good food and great microbrews. Asheville is an interesting destionation all to itself.

Thanks......the roads were not to crowded when we went....but for some reason..most of the traffic seemed to be going south to north on the BRP...we had very little traffic going north to south with us....we stopped at Tuggles Gap in Floyd County NC....to gas up and get a cup of coffee and there was only one other bike rider there....the nice lady runnin the place made a fresh pot jus for us and heated us up a piece of pie...that was the day it was cold and rained off and on all day....we didn't get warm till we hit Aunt Bea's in Mt.Airy for supper...

Old 10-27-2010, 01:56 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member

I should add....we went to the Autumn Leaves fest in Mt.Airy while we were there...at one of the food booths there was a long line...no line at the other booths...we went up to see what the fuss was about....they were selling collard green sandwiches...cornbread with a slab of fried fatback and greens inside....did not try...but i was born and raised in that area and had never heard of a collard green sandwich!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bentryder
I should add....we went to the Autumn Leaves fest in Mt.Airy while we were there...at one of the food booths there was a long line...no line at the other booths...we went up to see what the fuss was about....they were selling collard green sandwiches...cornbread with a slab of fried fatback and greens inside....did not try...but i was born and raised in that area and had never heard of a collard green sandwich!
You said in an earlier post your Dad's place was in Winston so you're from the city....lol Just kiddin with ya.

Looks like a great ride. I ride the parkway all the time as I am just south of Blowing Rock and it is a short ride up 321 for me to hit it. Many great riding roads in these parts. And not all so crowed..lol

Quick Reply: Ft.Lauderdale--BRP--Gatlinburg,Tenn.---Ft.Lauderdale