Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anybody that has an interest in the dam or bridge, go before some event closes the pedestrian walkway. It's only going to be a matter of time before people start jumping off the bridge. Anyway, as stated before, the bridge is open to traffic. I drove over the bridge from both sides and you can't see anything from a car window. The walkway can only be accessed from the Nevada side. You take the road that bypasses the new bridge and heads for the dam itself. There is still a checkpoint you have to pass thru and I suspect that semis aren't allowed accross the dam anymore. You park in a side lot (free) and either climb two sets of stairs or follow a set of switchback ramps, suitible for wheelchair access. There are several signboards along the way which explain the who, why and how of the bridge, except for omitting security concerns for the roadway, post 911. You can walk across the length of the bridge to the far side in Arizona but can't get off or access anything from that end. The walkway is posted as being open dawn to dusk. After walking accross, we continued down to the dam, which you can still drive over. On the Arizona side, only the first lot is paid parking, with the lots higher up the road being free. If you park for free, be prepared to do some walking and then a climb back up after. There is more than one tour of the dam, with the one that goes thru all of the sights being $30. There was a time in the not too distant past that the tour cost $1 and the outbuildings were free. Sad to see such an engineering marvel reduced to a tourist trap, with paid parking and expensive admision. It's all on federal land and should be free. Anyway, both the bridge and dam are well worth the time and effort if you're in the area.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

When I saw the pics of the walkway, the first thing that caught my eye was the lack of a barrier to keep the wackos from jumping, surprised there hasn't been one yet. Going to be in AZ soon, heading up to Laughlin to visit some friends anyway maybe we'll take a run up 93 to check it out.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 PM
iamrfixit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone really wants to do themselves in there are so many ways; No way to fence them all off.

There is nothing stopping someone from going out into the desert and jumping off the cliff, should they fence off the entire canyon? It would take half a second to be up and over the wall of the dam for that matter, there is no railing or fence or guard, nothing more than a waist high concrete wall the whole width of the dam. In fact there must be about a billion places to jump to your death in any single square mile of this area.

They won't be the first to die at the site, nor will they be the last, no matter how many safeguards are put in place.

You can't protect people from themselves; no matter how hard you try.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the bus tour on the "bridge" opening which saved a trip up the steps. Nice view though not as nice as from a heli. I also took the bike over the bridge this past Friday, which gave the tourists something else to take photos of.