Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

6800 Miles across America

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:27 AM
DeadBirdDog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6800 Miles across America

I had been wanting to put this trip together for some time but I finally got a couple weeks free to do it and hit the road. My 1998 Road Glide performed wonderfully on the trip...although the stator dying coming into Los Angeles at 2 am provided some interesting moments...

The coldest part of the trip was in Northern California...Eureka was misty and 45°. I'm glad I made room for my leathers. The hottest part was crossing Oklahoma...which is truly Satan's frying pan. Outside air was 110°, heat index was 120° and the road surface was probably around 135°. Just miserable. I tried to stay off the interstates as much as I could..and the 2 lane scenery was spectacular. A note to anyone from the East headed out West...most of the states are open range states which means on the 2 lane cattle and horses WILL be in roadway. Not to mention deer, elk and big horn sheep. Riding at twilight or night is something to be extra careful about. I'd also look seriously into some BRIGHT auxiliary lighting... Wyoming and Montana are DARK.

Best scenery was a tossup between Glacier NP in Montana, California Route 1 along Big Sur, and Monument Valley in Utah. There is just so much to see...next time I'll try and get a lot of what I missed.

All in all it was totally worth it. Solo on the road for 2 weeks was liberating. I'd say it was as close to truly being free as I've ever been in my life.

Pictures are here:

Part 1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/52731203@N07/
Part 2 http://www.flickr.com/photos/53018205@N02/
Part 3 http://www.flickr.com/photos/53094372@N08/

Attached Thumbnails 6800 Miles across America-capture.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
TN07Heritage
Novice

Great ride, nice photos ! I second the Glacier N.P. being a beautiful place.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great pics. Hope to do a trip like that before I get too damn old. Not sure I could do it alone and not sure I could do it with anyone else but my wife and she doesn't have the free time so..............

Did you get lonely or wish you had someone to share those wonderful sites with?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Pelaez
Intermediate

Oh man I envy you. This is exactly what I bought a Road King for, but I never get to take any of my leave. I'll be able to spend some time on the road before I get sent overseas for 4 years.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Sounds like a great ride..and solo I like that part..

Old 10-12-2010, 11:49 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I am green with envy! Looks like you had a blast - thanks for sharing the great pics.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 AM
DynaRed123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Great pics. Hope to do a trip like that before I get too damn old. Not sure I could do it alone and not sure I could do it with anyone else but my wife and she doesn't have the free time so..............

Did you get lonely or wish you had someone to share those wonderful sites with?

Trust me on this one. There never is a 'right' time to go. You just go.

Life is short.

On that note, the right time is NOW.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
DynaRed123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DeadBirdDog
I had been wanting to put this trip together for some time but I finally got a couple weeks free to do it and hit the road. My 1998 Road Glide performed wonderfully on the trip...although the stator dying coming into Los Angeles at 2 am provided some interesting moments...

The coldest part of the trip was in Northern California...Eureka was misty and 45°. I'm glad I made room for my leathers. The hottest part was crossing Oklahoma...which is truly Satan's frying pan. Outside air was 110°, heat index was 120° and the road surface was probably around 135°. Just miserable. I tried to stay off the interstates as much as I could..and the 2 lane scenery was spectacular. A note to anyone from the East headed out West...most of the states are open range states which means on the 2 lane cattle and horses WILL be in roadway. Not to mention deer, elk and big horn sheep. Riding at twilight or night is something to be extra careful about. I'd also look seriously into some BRIGHT auxiliary lighting... Wyoming and Montana are DARK.

Best scenery was a tossup between Glacier NP in Montana, California Route 1 along Big Sur, and Monument Valley in Utah. There is just so much to see...next time I'll try and get a lot of what I missed.

All in all it was totally worth it. Solo on the road for 2 weeks was liberating. I'd say it was as close to truly being free as I've ever been in my life.

Pictures are here:

Despite all the cliches, you are right, it is life-changing.

One of the best decisions I had made in my life was doing what you had done.

Never looked back.

Thanks for posting/sharing those pictures. They are truly awesome!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadBirdDog

Pictures are here:

I envy you looks like a great trip and some great pictures.
I am looking forward to retirerment and having the time to go across the country like that . With work and all the best I can do is a a 2 week trip.

When I retire in a few years I am going to jump on my bike and go to all the places in this great country I havn't been and also go back to some the places I have been and take my time.
I will go where I want ,stop where I want and stay as long as I want without being rushed to get back home for work or whatever, that is true freedom.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
fire.for.effect
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia and I'm on orders to Fort Lewis, Washington. This is a ride that I've been waiting to do and it feels almost criminal because I'm getting paid to do it!

I just saw your pictures. Now I'm completely stoked and I think I'll start planning tonight, even though it's months away.

Last edited by fire.for.effect; 10-14-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: because I just looked at BirdDog's pictures

Quick Reply: 6800 Miles across America