Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Grandfather Mtn./BRP Fall Color

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:38 AM
madmax54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grandfather Mtn./BRP Fall Color

Here is a link to a day-by-day color report for the higher elevations along the Blue Ridge Parkway:

http://www.grandfather.com/fall_colo...lor_report.php

Keep in mind that leaf lookers are extremely dangerous drivers, they stop without any warning, and are prone to venture into your lane at times. Watch for them like they are impaired, because in a way they are!
RIDE SAFE....
MM

Old 10-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Thank you for the link...Need to get back up there but not on the week end..

Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 PM
madmax54
Cruiser

For at least the next 5 days, perfect weather! Low 40's in the morning, high 60's right now. I had to finish up a job today, but I did manage to take the Train and fill er up. The next 2 days are mine, maybe not on the Parkway, but some of the lesser known farm type country roads. Gotta take the time now, the dreaded snow is right around the corner.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:52 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Wanna share some of those "lesser known" route numbers? Was thinking about heading in that general area this Saturday A.M.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

I'll share some of my favorite roads down there. First there is Wayah Road, it has a lot of everything, then you can continue on 64 from Franklin to Highlands. Then there is 276 from Waynesville south is great! Also 215 and 107.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Was just up on the BRP today as I had the day off. The colors haven't started much yet but the ride was great as you can see

Not sure if someone was thinking of me when this community was named...lol

Old 10-09-2010, 01:33 AM
madmax54
Cruiser

Up here in the highest elevation, NC 194 is a curvy road that has a lot of rural scenery, 19E from Spruce Pine to Elizabethton, Tn. is another. At some point I'll end up across Roan Mtn. State Park (elev. 6285) into Bakersville,NC , or Iron Mtn. into Erwin, Tn. , both will be colored well by next week. Generally, any road that was built before 1940 and crosses the NC/TN border is going to be a good ride. At Interstate speed, you gotta ride I-26 from Johnson City, TN toward Asheville. An amazing mountain 4 lane with spectacular long range views, it crosses Sam's Gap (elev.3760). You can see if your old hog has any torque left at the top! Let her breathe a little mountain air, and cool the jets on the other side.
Those roads are from one extreme to the other, so there's something for every rider to enjoy.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Nabubba
Road Master

Originally Posted by madmax54
Up here in the highest elevation, NC 194 is a curvy road that has a lot of rural scenery, 19E from Spruce Pine to Elizabethton, Tn. is another. At some point I'll end up across Roan Mtn. State Park (elev. 6285) into Bakersville,NC , or Iron Mtn. into Erwin, Tn. , both will be colored well by next week. Generally, any road that was built before 1940 and crosses the NC/TN border is going to be a good ride. At Interstate speed, you gotta ride I-26 from Johnson City, TN toward Asheville. An amazing mountain 4 lane with spectacular long range views, it crosses Sam's Gap (elev.3760). You can see if your old hog has any torque left at the top! Let her breathe a little mountain air, and cool the jets on the other side.
Those roads are from one extreme to the other, so there's something for every rider to enjoy.
Yep all those roads are great. Actually took the rig I drive across Roan Mtn this spring as I had to go from Bakersville to Roan Mtn. Tn to deliver made for an interesting 45 minutes...lol

Old 10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
madmax54
Cruiser
Default Sunrise!

I rode up the mountain this morning to see if I could take a few sunrise shots, I really couldn't seem to find any real bright colors. Seems like the red leaves just turned brown and blew away last week. This one picture of the Linn Cove Viaduct (MP 304) was taken at sunrise, the elevation is around 4000 feet through here.
I rode on over to Red Hill,NC and across Unaka Mtn. into Erwin, TN. The color on the west side of the mountains seems a lot better. Lots of red and orange, sorry, no pics, I was just into the ride.
Traffic is heavy everywhere, passed by a head on at the state line on 19-E, it's almost just too weird on the weekends. Cagers just have too many distractions, and some are just too dumb to drive.

Attached Thumbnails Grandfather Mtn./BRP Fall Color-10-10-10-063.jpg