Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Camping question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010 | 08:41 AM
Time2Cruise
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Beautiful country, just don't forget your rainsuit....lol
Rainsuit is already packed as is the bike. Have warm weather, wet weather and cold weather covered Just need to throw clothes on tonight and I'm ready to hit the road tomorrow.

Old 09-29-2010 | 10:02 AM
mervt198
Cruiser

If you're travelling 2lane roads, small town campgrounds are great. Usually under $10 a night and sometimes first three nights are free. Also if your not cooking, there's always a family restaurent close by.

Old 09-29-2010 | 02:49 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Time2Cruise
Rainsuit is already packed as is the bike. Have warm weather, wet weather and cold weather covered Just need to throw clothes on tonight and I'm ready to hit the road tomorrow.
Wife and I rode down to Raleigh back in July, cut across southern Va through Hillsville to Dansville, rode by 'Lovers Leap'....be ready for lots of 5% and 9% grades over that way. We did them in a freaking monsoon rainstorm. Brakes washed out going down a 9% grade, lightning crashing all around us (seemed like it was right next to us) so we ducked into a Wendy's just outside of Danville.

Its the journey, right??? LOL

Old 09-29-2010 | 03:44 PM
Time2Cruise
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Wife and I rode down to Raleigh back in July, cut across southern Va through Hillsville to Dansville, rode by 'Lovers Leap'....be ready for lots of 5% and 9% grades over that way. We did them in a freaking monsoon rainstorm. Brakes washed out going down a 9% grade, lightning crashing all around us (seemed like it was right next to us) so we ducked into a Wendy's just outside of Danville.

Its the journey, right??? LOL
That sounds like a ride to remember.

Old 09-29-2010 | 03:45 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Time2Cruise
That sounds like a ride to remember.

For sure.....and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Have a great ride.

Old 09-29-2010 | 05:22 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

I know when I travel I like to finish the evening with a few beers,

At least in PA, if I go to a state park campground, the Rangers walk around at night, and they do not allow alcohol in the campgrounds.

I do not feel like a being a teenager again hiding my beer from people.

I stay in public campgrounds.

Have a safe trip!!!

Old 09-30-2010 | 08:49 AM
Time2Cruise
|
Road Master

Didn't think about the no alcohol in State campgrounds. Good point. I've got better things to do than sneak beer these days.

Bike is packed and I'll be taking off work in 4 hours and heading out. Thanks for all the input.

Old 09-30-2010 | 12:19 PM
32vld
Road Master

I've found that if your sitting quietly aound a camp fire no park ranger has ever come up to see if we had beer. Also sitting at a table on your campsite during a meal same thing.

Now it's another thing if one can't keep their mouths flapping loud, or bringing a beer down to the playground, swiming areas, where the up tight mom's can see and complain that's another thing.

Old 09-30-2010 | 03:21 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 32vld
I've found that if your sitting quietly aound a camp fire no park ranger has ever come up to see if we had beer. Also sitting at a table on your campsite during a meal same thing.

Now it's another thing if one can't keep their mouths flapping loud, or bringing a beer down to the playground, swiming areas, where the up tight mom's can see and complain that's another thing.

Just like any officer, some are OK, some, mostly the new, young ones, seem to cocky and antsy to show their authority,

To old to put up with that,

Riff Raff Bikers, you know,

Old 09-30-2010 | 10:17 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member

I know your pressed for weight and room but when I solo camp I take a solar powered light that has a motion sensor on it. Picked it up from Home Depot then for buck or two picked up a mini DC alarm and I wired so when the light is triggered the alarm goes on. Now at least from the front of my tent I will not be surprised.

Quick Reply: Camping question