Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Camping Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010 | 08:11 PM
THEbub
Advanced

Personally I say hit up the Army/Navy surplus stores. my .02

Old 09-13-2010 | 11:25 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by THEbub
I'm an Army vet, infantry, so I am familiar with all that stuff.

But that stuff, for the most part, is heavier, bulkier, and less durable than what you get at a good outdoor shop, like REI, EMS, etc. I do a lot of backpacking and ski-touring in the mountains around here in addition to my bike trips, so lightness, compactness, and durability is important to me. If I only took a couple of motorcycle trips a year on an Ultra, then I wouldn't care and would have tons of Army surplus stuff (or I'd just stay in a hotel ).

With gear you get what you pay for. You know the saying about buying gear........light, strong, cheap: pick two.

What I still like the Army surplus for are waterproof bags and 550 cord.

Old 09-14-2010 | 04:00 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Spaghetti straps (sleeping bag), watter proof bag, canteen with cup, korean war parka with liner, Para cord. Dont use all this for bike camping but do have in my hittin the fan foot locker.

REI
Campmore
CTD

All good

Originally Posted by THEbub

Old 09-17-2010 | 09:15 AM
ILTim
Cruiser

I pack everything into my saddlebags, and that requires pretty decent backpacking gear instead of cheap walmart stuff. REI clearance items mostly, tent, sleeping bag, and inflatable mat small enough and good enough will cost a little money. The cheap foam mats work as well but dont fit in the saddlebags. A cheap tent usually is good enough but fills a whole bag, a nicer tent can be half the size.

Old 09-17-2010 | 10:18 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I find the Army Navy surplus stuff to be durable, yes, but bulky and heavy. I think the backpackers have a saying something like:
Cheap, Durable, Small: pick two.

I finally made a decision after researching tent lights, and going for cheap but bright, settled on this from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
$19 to my door. At least it's bright enough to read by and had great reviews.
My injuries don't like the ground, and 1" of foam isn't enough, so I found deals on the REI site under the OUTLET store: got a ALPS Mountaineering Lightweight Sleeping Pad - Long - Special Buy
STEEL BLUE
7830290016 -
it's a self-inflating foam that is 25" wide as well as 2" thick. At 33% off it was the best deal on the net.
http://www.rei.com/product/783029

Old 09-22-2010 | 10:32 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain

Here is another site that has discount quality gear.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/def...wyyz%20fyzpbET

Old 09-24-2010 | 02:13 PM
rberni
Outstanding HDF Member

I use ultralight backpacking gear. Some of it can get pretty expensive but it is designed to be lightweight and small footprint in your bags. There are many military surplus items that work great if you are on a budget. You should hit up some backpacking websites to get some ideas on what works and what doesn't. There are many good reviews of products on these sites. REI makes great gear but you can get most of it on Amazon for cheaper.

Old 09-24-2010 | 10:13 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Cool

Originally Posted by molongneck
I am looking into purchasing some camping gear to use on long rides. Does anyone have any input on tents, sleeping bags, mats, etc.? I'm interested in hearing about quality products as well as products to stay away from. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Go to a quality sporting goods store, and buy good equipment. Good stuff lasts virtually forever if you take care of it. My North Face tent is 20 years old, my Eddie Bauer (no longer offered) down sleeping bag is over 30 years old.

I have been in very severe weather in the tent, and been warm and dry. Down sleeping bags must be kept dry, but they really are the best. Get a Thermarest self inflating air mattress, and you'll be very comfortable. North Face still makes great sleeping bags. I bought a couple for my kids when they were teenagers, and they still have them 15+ years later.

Old 09-25-2010 | 10:09 PM
testifer
Road Master

i have a few things from rei and some things from cabelas..i have the cabelas xp 2 man tent that has more then enough room for 2plus gear and weighs like 4 pounds. packs super small. i have a eureka 40 degree bag that also compresses very small and is warmer then you think. msr stove....ect...backpacking gear is the only way to go. dont forget a chair.

Old 09-25-2010 | 10:21 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I'm driven crazy by mummy bags ... they GIVE me RLS and I feel claustrophobic. I guess with the wide bag I'll just skip winter camping.

Quick Reply: Camping Gear