Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Sturgis 2011 Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts
Default First Sturgis 2011 Question?

Momma and I have decided we are going to Sturgis next year. After doing some online research I have been thinking about renting an RV (Momma likes her comfort) at the Shade Valley camp ground.
Question for those of you who have gone before... How early did you make your reservations? Not sure how early I need to book in order to be sure of getting what I want. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

book now if you want it

Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate to go public with this hidden gem. But here it is....

http://www.lamphereranch.com/

This is where I stayed this year. We stayed at shady acres, or shade valley or what ever it's called in 2009 and I didn't like it. It's too far out, away from the "action".

The site above is straight across the highway from the Full Throttle and next to the Glenco campground. It's quiet and peaceful. More trees and shade than the shady acers has and better facilities, showers, food, outhouses, picnic tables.

You leave your bikes (and motorhome) in the campground and walk up to the bar, get your fill of entertainment and walk home on your own timetable. No taking busses or taxis or driving under the influence.

In my opinion, it's the best place to stay, I'll be staying there again next year. By the way, after I typed all this in I suddenly realized I should get some sort of commission for this endorcement!! I wish!

And to answer your question about booking. They weren't sold out this year. You could have just shown up at any time and got a space, I saw lots of empty spots the whole time I was there. I think there are loads of camping spots out in sturgis, there's no need to prebook.

Last edited by zeus33; 09-01-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

went the cabin route this year at the campground we've been staying at for years near Hill City. Thru the years I've tented/ RV'ed(FIL drives in from AZ) and basically just slept on the ground there, but had never rented a cabin. Really liked the cabin best, just brought a sleeping bag/pillow and picked up a cooler and chair at wallyworld in Rapid City when we arrived. The cabin was secure(door lock) and I didn't have to sleep on the ground. Best of all I didn't have to load my bike up with all the **** you need for camping. Got a backback sleeping bag and pillow that fits inside my saddlebag with enough room left for my raingear to fit in. This looks like how I'm gonna do the rally from now on.

Attached Thumbnails First Sturgis 2011 Question?-sturgis-2010-015.jpg  
Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I hate to go public with this hidden gem. But here it is....

http://www.lamphereranch.com/

This is where I stayed this year. We stayed at shady acres, or shade valley or what ever it's called in 2009 and I didn't like it. It's too far out, away from the "action".

The site above is straight across the highway from the Full Throttle and next to the Glenco campground. It's quiet and peaceful. More trees and shade than the shady acers has and better facilities, showers, food, outhouses, picnic tables.

You leave your bikes (and motorhome) in the campground and walk up to the bar, get your fill of entertainment and walk home on your own timetable. No taking busses or taxis or driving under the influence.

In my opinion, it's the best place to stay, I'll be staying there again next year. By the way, after I typed all this in I suddenly realized I should get some sort of commission for this endorcement!! I wish!

And to answer your question about booking. They weren't sold out this year. You could have just shown up at any time and got a space, I saw lots of empty spots the whole time I was there. I think there are loads of camping spots out in sturgis, there's no need to prebook.
I just looked a Lamphereranch web page. I don't think they don't have sewer hookups for RVs. This means every time the gray or black water tank fills up I gotta pay for a pump out....
I am pretty sure I want a place with sewer hookups.
Everything else you said sounded good though....

Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

When I go to Sturgis, I camp at Custer State Park. I am an old fart and like the quiet surroundings. I have found the rangers at the park to be very helpful. I UPS two huge boxes of camping gear there ahead of time and they hold it for me and deliver it to my campsite after I arrive. That makes the stay a lot more comfortable.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:58 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I just looked a Lamphereranch web page. I don't think they don't have sewer hookups for RVs. This means every time the gray or black water tank fills up I gotta pay for a pump out....
I am pretty sure I want a place with sewer hookups.
Everything else you said sounded good though....

I didn't know they didn't have sewer hookups. But actually when you think about it, your motorhome can go for quite a few days before you have to dump. The black is only from the toilet so if you used the campground facilities when you were out and about it probably wouldn't fill up. As for the grey, well, in the night you throw the hose under the motor home and crack the valve about a quarter inch and let it slowly trickle out. Nobody will know, nobody will care.

Just a thought, but you'd be better off in a spot with full services, I'd agree.

By the time the rally comes around next year I otta have my new toy hauler. I'm planning to bring my wife and trailer the bike down. She'll be much happier than staying in the pup tent, it's a good compromise, if she's happy it's a better trip.

Cheers! Maybe see you on the road sometime, I'll wave. haha.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 AM
ZChan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're in need of full RV hookups, the Buffalo Chip doesn't have them. Gotta pay big money $35 to dump or use a blue boy tank. It is nice not to have to ride anywhere to have fun. Just stay at camp and have everything you need. Except peace and quiet.
You might try Hog Heaven not too far from downtown Sturgis.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 PM
rjinaz85308
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Days End

We stayed there in 2007. It is a little crowded but was nice. We tented that year, but they have RV sights, showers, laundry, bar (the barn) and food. Just of the north end of main street Sturgus.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer your question, Book as soon as you know you are going.

Quick Reply: First Sturgis 2011 Question?