Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

October Blue Ridge Parkway Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 AM
wildrooster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default October Blue Ridge Parkway Ride

Starting October 2nd I am going to head out from SC to ride the entirety of the blue ridge parkway in a couple of days. I wanted to go on a ride that I have not done before. I have done parts in NC where last year I took a bike of the mountain and ended up messed up for some time after but its part of conquering a fear. The first night I will be up in maggie valley NC and ride about half of it the next day and the other on day 3 before turning around and taking a faster way home. I wanted to see if anyone would like to join me on the trip at least for part of it. this is my last chance for a long trip before my daughter is born and as with all trips I love meeting new people along the ride. if anyone is up for the whole ride or atleast part of it let me know

Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master

I'll be out there about the same time. I'll be on the red Ultra most likely waving.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Wife and I are leaving on oct. 2nd from florida to BRP and other places....ya can't miss us....we'll be on a black EGC....ride safe....enjoy

Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, I would ride out to meet you all (I live just a few miles from the BRP, north of Jefferson) but we're heading out for a weekend ride on Oct. 1st to see family up in Maryland. Be safe out there. As I've said in other posts, the most dangerous road in our county is the BRP -- that comes from the NC Highway Patrol and my own experience working at a local hospital.

On a positive note, the leaves are just starting to turn up here which is a little early for us. With any luck they will be at their peak about the time you ride through.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be out there with my cousin and possibly one or two more friends starting on the 4th or 5th.

We plan to do the tail and surrounding area as well as some of the Parkway.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by wildrooster
Starting October 2nd I am going to head out from SC to ride the entirety of the blue ridge parkway in a couple of days. I wanted to go on a ride that I have not done before. I have done parts in NC where last year I took a bike of the mountain and ended up messed up for some time after but its part of conquering a fear. The first night I will be up in maggie valley NC and ride about half of it the next day and the other on day 3 before turning around and taking a faster way home. I wanted to see if anyone would like to join me on the trip at least for part of it. this is my last chance for a long trip before my daughter is born and as with all trips I love meeting new people along the ride. if anyone is up for the whole ride or atleast part of it let me know
There's a couple of chapter of SCRC up that way.... drop by the NC forum and post there...
great time of year to visit the BRP (well ANY time, is a great time) watch out for critters, and leaf gazers

Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should think about adding the Skyline Drive to your trip if you have the time. Only another 105 miles. Well worth doing both. Lot to see along the way. Take your time and enjoy the views, not worth speeding. You think 40 mph will be a drag but it is comfortable and it gives you time to react to the inevitable Deer or Turkey. Did not see any Bear this time. Great roads to get your confidence back. Take a run up Grandfather Mtn. Nice tight switchbacks. 1 mile off the BRP.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 PM
wildrooster
Tourer

Originally Posted by TRUBRIT
You should think about adding the Skyline Drive to your trip if you have the time. Only another 105 miles. Well worth doing both. Lot to see along the way. Take your time and enjoy the views, not worth speeding. You think 40 mph will be a drag but it is comfortable and it gives you time to react to the inevitable Deer or Turkey. Did not see any Bear this time. Great roads to get your confidence back. Take a run up Grandfather Mtn. Nice tight switchbacks. 1 mile off the BRP.
if I can get far enough in to VA on day 2 I will, I have done the skyline in a car before and loved it. I know as long as I can get to that point by day 3 I will do it I can take 95 all the way back

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

try stopping at mp 248 for the nite--stations inn--biker friendly and great people

Old 09-02-2010, 04:18 PM
madmax54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to pack your longhandles, it will be in the low 40's here at the base of Grandfather Mtn. this Saturday morning. By the first of October, it will be much cooler. Generally speaking, the leaves peak here (3800-6200 ft.) around the 2nd or 3rd week in October. It's all good whenever you get here, just dress warmly and watch out for the other guy at all times!
Here's a shot of my Night Train from last year looking at the eastern face of Grandfather Mountain, near the US 221 exit on the Parkway. The parking area is called "Beacon Heights", a popular hiking trail that goes to some cliffs where you can catch the sunrise.

Attached Thumbnails October Blue Ridge Parkway Ride-image003.jpg  

Quick Reply: October Blue Ridge Parkway Ride