Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding in and around Memphis, TN

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 PM
cycho57
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in and around Memphis, TN

Hey all, I am from the Dallas, TX area but frequent Memphis, TN once or twice a year to get my blues and bbq fix. I have been thinking about sponsoring a trip to Memphis for my club. Does anyone know of any good day trips around the Memphis area. Any good roads, sightseeing, attractions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that is more flat land. I'm sure there is nice riding though. Never been though. I personally like to go to Northwest Arkansas. I am going to northeast TN in October. Pretty far from Dallas (I am also in Dallas).

I think if you want mountainous riding you may have to choose between the bbq/music and riding bliss.

As I mentioned though - I've never been there so I am pretty ignorant on the subject.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 PM
HillBilly73
Tourer

Don't know anything about the Memphis area but, theres nice riding up towards the gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. Would be a bit of a trip.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 AM
gapatriot
Intermediate

Memphis......why? Fly in, find some BBQ, fly out.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Memphis area is pretty flat and uninteresting. I am in middle Tennessee in the Land Between the Lakes area. GREAT riding here, plenty of hills, trees, and twisty roads. If you can come a little farther into Tennessee and get off in Jackson and head North to the Land Between the Lakes area, you will find some of the most beautiful riding you have ever seen. The area is comparable to East Tennessee with smaller hills than the mountains, but there are vistas around every corner of LBL. There is a Bison Range and the old Homeplace where you can see an 1850's era working farm, a planetarium and of course Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley not to Mention stopping in Patty's at the top of LBL for a 2" thick Pork Chop Dinner.

I highly recommend middle Tennessee to West Tennessee. Virtually no crime, great riding, and great food. Please don't let Memphis be your measure of great Tennessee cuisine, there is much better to be had just east of there.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
apendltn
Intermediate

I'm in Memphis, not a lot of great rides here, mostly bar-hopping. dj is wrong about the food though we got the best around not just bbq. Outside of Memphis to the North and East there is open country which is good for riding though.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djbiker
Memphis area is pretty flat and uninteresting. I am in middle Tennessee in the Land Between the Lakes area. GREAT riding here, plenty of hills, trees, and twisty roads. If you can come a little farther into Tennessee and get off in Jackson and head North to the Land Between the Lakes area, you will find some of the most beautiful riding you have ever seen. The area is comparable to East Tennessee with smaller hills than the mountains, but there are vistas around every corner of LBL. There is a Bison Range and the old Homeplace where you can see an 1850's era working farm, a planetarium and of course Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley not to Mention stopping in Patty's at the top of LBL for a 2" thick Pork Chop Dinner.

I highly recommend middle Tennessee to West Tennessee. Virtually no crime, great riding, and great food. Please don't let Memphis be your measure of great Tennessee cuisine, there is much better to be had just east of there.
We're starting our planning for next July/August, and thinking about Tennessee and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Can you give us some insight on weather that time of year?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

got Bikes, blues and BBQ Sept 30 thru Oct 2 in Fayetteville AR. Get good rides and BBQ>>>>> what's not to like!!!!