Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Biketoberfest, Daytona FL.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:44 AM
HD32141
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the big ape risers all the time, never heard of anyone getting stopped for this but anything is possible. These laws get a lot of attention when they first get adopted, I got a ticket because the bumper on my truck was too high when that law came out but nobody seems to know about it anymore, except maybe the PI attorneys if you slide under one and get hurt

Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Daytona originally touted BikeToberfest as their 'family' bike week. Although, I've seen more 'families' during BikeWeek in March, than BikeToberfest in October. Here's their offical website: http://biketoberfest.org/news.cfm which has some of the historical info.

Weather can be anywhere from sweaty hot during the day, to get the leathers on at night. And then there's always the chance for rain. Hurricane/Tropical storm season. I've ridden down from MI in the remnants of a few. Good rain gear is a must.

I've been to three or four over the years. Nothing special. Last time was 2002 Crowds were significantly less than BikeWeek. Parking was easier. Prices were still at or near the 'gouging' level. You can probably find a place in the beach area to stay easier than during March. However, I go to the Orlando area and stay. It's an easy ride into Daytona if you stay on the north side around Sanford, or if you stay down south, you can take 417 (toll) to avoid the ugliness of I-4 traffic through Orlando.

As far as things to do, you can probably get it all done in one day. That's how I plan it. Hit Daytona Saturday morning, get my 'stuff', have a couple of beers, eat, and leave.

Check the dates that Universal Orlando does their Horror nights. Adults only, and scarry as hell.

If you're into aviation, especially 'old junk', check out Fantasy of Flight between Orlando and Tampa (Orlampa). Combine that with a ride to St. Pete beach and have a drink on the upper deck of Hurricane's bar while you watch the sun set.

I defer to 'the locals' about LEO activity. My bike isn't loud, and doesn't attract attention. I get left alone, as long as I don't act stupid.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
blade76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went down last year with my son for the first time, going again this year with a bigger group and my wife on her trike. We just like to ride almost anywhere, and the ride from Atlanta is fine. It was a bit chilly at night and first thing in the morning (50's I recall), but warmed up quick to hot (upper 80's). Only a couple short showers one night. We did Leesburg in April and found out there is some nice country (Florida style) riding around Ocala toward Daytona. Where else can you eat conch and alligator!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:04 PM
windy rich
Advanced

I'll be riding right through Braselton on my way to Biketoberfest. I ride down 53 to 441 south to Lake City,FL 90 west tofl100 to Palatka,Fl the US1 to Ormond Beach. I'm from FL,but live in Ellija,GA now. It's a nice ride.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been the last 5 or 6 years and never been hassled by loud pipes or apehangers. Main street is fun to visit but the real action is north of town. Be sure to visit Rossmeyers Destination Daytona (Daytona HD) out on Route 1. Well worth the visit. Prices are like any other event - all are overpriced but what'r ya gonna do??

Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 AM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

And if ya get up early you can see a sunrise like this....

Halifax River Ormond Beach FL 9/4/10.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 AM
maduxfn31
Tourer

I have been going for about 5 years now and its a blast,the weather is unpredictable as anywhere, There is alot more than just main st and Destination Daytona if you go to the south you have the cabage patch always a good time there,there are several bars in the Deland area where we hang out mostly lot less trafic,Iron horse always has alot hapnin too,apes and exhaust you will only get pulled over if your driving like an idiot just try not to get noticed. I highly recomend biketoberfest over bike week.

Last edited by maduxfn31; 09-06-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
FXDTim
6th Gear

I prefer BikeToberfest. The crowd is smaller and traffic a bit less. My wife and I are going to ride up on Sat. morning, stay overnight and come home (St. Pete.) on Sunday. That's plenty of time. Do Harley and the tents at the Speedway, Main Street, The Ormand Loop, and Destination Daytona. Then seek out whatever floats your boat.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Gotastreetglide
Cruiser

I live in Jacksonville and ride down (70 miles) to Daytona for both Biketoberfest and Bike Week. I like Biketoberfest better because of 2 main reasons. The weather is usually better, and the crowds are not as thick. The event is "3 days" but it really goes from about the weekend before. On sunday is good ridin, but if you are lookin for vendors they pack up early Sunday morning and get on the road out of town. The weekend before the bars start to fill up, and main street kind of fills up. The bigger crowds start on Wednesday - Sunday.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by windy rich
I'll be riding right through Braselton on my way to Biketoberfest. I ride down 53 to 441 south to Lake City,FL 90 west tofl100 to Palatka,Fl the US1 to Ormond Beach. I'm from FL,but live in Ellija,GA now. It's a nice ride.
I love Ellija...I rent cabins in Helen all the time.

I prefer bikeotberfest to bike week and Ilive down here(west coast). I ride in early Thur morning and leave sometime on Sunday. I like the smaller crowd and the weather is usually better(last year I got soaked riding in...but wth).

Quick Reply: Biketoberfest, Daytona FL.