Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Who went to Sturgis, and what did you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

My tenth time and I still found scenic areas that I have not seen before. I have never had a single time that I could not go down town and find a parking place. No problem finding good campgrounds or places to eat without a wait.

I generally do not like crowds but Sturgis has crowds of my kind of people.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 PM
slimshafty
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my 4th. year, rode down from Manitoba Canada. I always have a great time at Sturgis. Camp at glencoe (bikes only area) so I'm near many bars, this year I found the drink prices way to high $6.50 for a shot of whiskey at full throttle. Met lots of great new people from all over & my old regular camping neighbors. Never seen so many big name bands, yes I spent a lot of $$ but I always save up for the event. CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

.50 Cal Ma Deuce was pretty sweet. It wouldn't fit in my saddlebag though, and mounting it to the bike might be a problem...
I laughed so loud I woke up my daughter here at 1 am readin that LOL

sounds like you had a good time though

Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Lean Angle
Intermediate

My third Sturis experience and a great one. Stayed at the Chip, all I can say is WOW. great concerts, location and people. Though very mediocre campsites, basically a field. Very dusty. But hey the concerts were great and could walk to the camper after the show and drinking with no chance of a DWI. Weather was hot, but dry and no major storms, spent 6 days there and rode 1600 miles. Hewlitt was a blast this year, did Custer, Needles, Deadwood, Badlands, Wall, Vonnoker Canyon, Spearfish Canyon, Rushmore and the someday Indian. another great time. looking forward to 2011.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 PM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer

Always a good time.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Hodie
Intermediate

Went out to the Black Hills 2 weeks before the rally and had a great time. There were plenty of bikes and people to watch. The roads were not crowded and I could ride without worrying about the guy in front of me. Also there we plenty of vendors set up. I met a lot of locals who pointed out great roads that are often overlooked. I plan on going back around the same time next year.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

This year was my fifth and I've already got reservations for next year. As always had a great time exploring the Black Hills. This year I actually made it out the Full Throttle and the Chip for the first time, and most likely the last. I'm not a party person anymore did enough of that to last me a life time.

I made a movie this year... Link to the movie thread...

Link to better quality on Vimeo

Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 PM
yellowsporty
Intermediate

I went about 3 years ago. In a car. A week early! LOL-Pretty Quiet-bought a hat and patch-didn't have a bike then. Hope to go soon.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Sturgis #9 for me but I've lost track of the number of times we've ridden the Hills. It's just a nice, quick weekend ride for us. Had a gentleman by the name of Paul Mitchell come up and introduce himself while we were at Pactola Lake. Paul had worked at Black Hills HD and has written the book "Black Hills Motorcylce Rides". He gave us an autographed copy and we've since used it to find some of the hidden treasures in the Hills.

www.blackhillsmotorcyclerides.com

Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey yellowsporty, thanks for digging up this old thread. Brings back some awesome memories. I'm planning to go back next year, hoping to convince the wife. I've been working on her. I might buy a toy hauler and trailer the bike there so we have a place to stay. I've always been one of those who laughed at people for trailering their bikes to a bike event. But when you're out in a stubble field, in the rain, in the middle of the night with your wife who has to take a peee, the trailers start to make sense.

I don't know if we'll trailer down or not, what ever the case, trailer or no trailer, wife or solo, I'll be there next year.

Quick Reply: Who went to Sturgis, and what did you think?