Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Who went to Sturgis, and what did you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 AM
jrstar
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sturgis? Not much different than last year.

Buffalo CHiiiiiiiiiiiiipppp? Awsome concerts

Favorite shows were Kid Rock and Motely Crue. (I even caught the drumstick Tommy Lee threw out)

Not a bad show one, other than the screaming stuff and the country guy that sang about tractors in every song (just not my style of music)

Ditto on Dylan, Voice has kind of given up but still looked good.

CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR

Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 PM
THEbub
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People are gonna prolly call me crazy and flame the **** out of me for this, but tbh I think I had more fun in Deadwood, being that I stayed in the Bullock hotel got tanked on buckets of beer for 8.50, (that's right 8.50 for five domestic beers, not that 5$ for one beer bs at the other places) walked around and people watched on Main Street. I only spent about an hour or two total in or around Sturgis. I spent most of my time riding around the area rather than trying go downtown. I guess I just like riding bikes more than lookin at em. I got events way closer to me that have the same atmosphere. (biketoberfest, thunderbeach, myrtle beach etc.)It's cool to see all the people out on their bikes, but if you give me the option I'd rather ride than sit in traffic. Also, I've never seen so many baggers in the entirety of my short life. It's cool to go just to say you've been though.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my second Sturgis trip, 3846 mile round trip on the bike,

Awesome sights,

Would do it again, and will,

Last edited by ButtMan1000; 09-02-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traveler
Well the ride here and back must be the best part...because if you think the riding here during the rally is good,....come up and ride when the rally ISN'T here, and you'll never want to ride during the sturgis rally again.

I actually got pissed off....I had a hard time enjoying my ride, because I was surrounded by bikes everywhere I went.
That's my plan, just me the bike and the OL. I'm glad I did the rally, once is enough for my taste.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by THEbub
People are gonna prolly call me crazy and flame the **** out of me for this, but tbh I think I had more fun in Deadwood, being that I stayed in the Bullock hotel got tanked on buckets of beer for 8.50, (that's right 8.50 for five domestic beers, not that 5$ for one beer bs at the other places) walked around and people watched on Main Street. I only spent about an hour or two total in or around Sturgis. I spent most of my time riding around the area rather than trying go downtown. I guess I just like riding bikes more than lookin at em. I got events way closer to me that have the same atmosphere. (biketoberfest, thunderbeach, myrtle beach etc.)It's cool to see all the people out on their bikes, but if you give me the option I'd rather ride than sit in traffic. Also, I've never seen so many baggers in the entirety of my short life. It's cool to go just to say you've been though.
...........sounds to me like you have it all figured out.

~Joe

Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode mine from Princeton, NC... Stayed at the dorms at Black Hills State University at Spearfish for 4 nights and got all I could stand of Sturgis in 1 day. Had a ball at the flat track race and got a t-shirt...woo-hoo!!!

Spent another 13 days seeing various sites and meeting some of the colorful locals . We rode past snow at the top of Beartooth Pass and got sleeted on while looking for our lodge at the Grand Tetons. I have never been that cold in August in my life.

I'm looking forward to another trip...but I'll leave Sturgis to the folks that like that sort of thing. I tried it and just didn't care for the crowds...I liked Yellowstone better.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Blitz63
Novice
Default 2011

Well, sounds like a lot of guys don't like the crowds, and backups...who really does. We ride with a friend who has been out there over 15 times...knows his way around real well!!! We never do Wyoming Wed., ride the Badlands on the coolest day, hit the Mts on the hottest day! When you ride the I-95 corridor(DE, PA, NJ, MD) traffic out at Sturgis is nothing...at least its mostly bikes and not 18 wheelers. We stay at a little camp ground called Mooney's Hog Farm and Campgroung...real mom n pop place. I love being able to get on I-90 and blast down too the Badlands. That would be the same ride as me going to Baltimore...but with a TON more traffic and stops.

Ride Safe!

Blitz

Old 09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
lockingnut
Advanced

Yeah my brother & I met in Rapid City after the rally for a few days. Would of liked to of seen the concerts but oh well. He rode in from Memphis TN, I from Denver. Did all the back roads we could find, fantastic riding. Allot of Sturgis bro's still lingering so we weren't at all alone. I was on my 00 Sportster and this ride confirmed I needed a bigger bike. Came home and found an 08 Fatbob. Did the trade in and man I'm happier than a puppy with 2. . .( you know). I put a good seat, back rest and windshield on it, now the wife & I can go anywhere. Hot Dog I can't wait.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 PM
rjinaz85308
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Iron Horse in Whitewood

we stayed there too. great place. Like you I don't need to hear the partying all night long. We rode up from PHX. The last time we went we did a tent. This is much better

Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by THEbub
I think I had more fun in Deadwood, being that I stayed in the Bullock hotel.
Have always wanted to stay at the Bullock Hotel. bub, how did you happen to get reservations there during the rally? I just checked on the 2011 rally room availability and they are already booked up the first and second week of August.

Quick Reply: Who went to Sturgis, and what did you think?