Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Who went to Sturgis, and what did you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woodhog17
First time for me. Put on over 13000 km (8000 miles) return. Stayed at Shade Valley Campsite for almost 2 weeks. Great campsite, quiet, clean, well run. Did all the rides around except the Badlands. Saw ZZ Top (awesome) and The Doobies (great too).
Had a great time but I doubt if I'll go during the rally again. Too much traffic and people for my liking. If I do return for the rally I'll stay further out (Nemo, Hill City or Spearfish).
For me the best part was the ride there and back. Saw Glacier Park (road to the sun), Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, Cody to Yellowstone, Grand Teton Park, Jackson Hole Wy., Crater Lake Or., Oregon Highway 138 along the Umpqua river (fantastic road) to the Oregon coast.
I have to mention that all the people we met in the States were great. Friendly, helpful and good to talk to.
I don't know how I'm going to top this trip next year!!

we stayed at Shade Valley too. Very nice place..great showers...great saloon if you didn't want to screw with a shitload of people. I'd be tempted to stay there again....but we were also thinking of staying in Deadwood.....what an awesome little town.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 PM
woodhog17
Road Master

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
we stayed at Shade Valley too. Very nice place..great showers...great saloon if you didn't want to screw with a shitload of people. I'd be tempted to stay there again....but we were also thinking of staying in Deadwood.....what an awesome little town.

Yeah, Deadwood would be a good option too. Anywhere that you don't have to ride thru Sturgis (gridlock or what?) to get to and from the great rides.

I posted a few pics of the trip if anyone's interested.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM
jimmie d wad
Tourer

i was planning oncamping.guy i went with isnt much for roughing it i guess.we found a room in newel sun night.nice little dive $100 a night for 2 beds.ran into the fts mon morning.hit what ever street is blocked off.main or la sal?was in town less than 5 hours plenty for me.wife and i are planning on a shed cabin at chris's campground for our 5 th anniversary.we were married at lake silvan on needles highway.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Enforcer419
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TennesseeJed
9 of us left st. cloud, mn. 08-05 @ 6 am. arrived bull dog campground 5:30 pm. 1st time for 4 of us. rode needles, spearfish, nemo, hulett, hill city loops. did a quick road side repair of a oil line courtesy of Sic Vic's in hill city.
a re-occurring conversation in our camp was about the young weekend warriors who just HAD to pass our group, or ride thru it, just to be stopped just ahead @ the next traffic slow up. i would like to do the same black hills ride in sept or so to really enjoy the sights.
we did the FTS for $5 beers and the bartenders were hot.
the ride home was uneventful and hot. 2395 miles. home on 08-11.
mostly, it was a great ride.
How was your stay at the Bulldog Campground? A groupd of us are planning on staying there next year.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Enforcer419
How was your stay at the Bulldog Campground? A groupd of us are planning on staying there next year.
Not to jump in on TJ's reply........
Bulldog is a nice campground. We stay at Rushnomore just behind Bulldog.
Both are on exit 37, 5 miles south of Sturgis.
Bulldog's campsites are more out in the sun, but shade up quick in the evening because of the ridge to the west.
Rushnomore is back in the canyon, more tree shade, better protected from the high winds and a pool.
Bulldog has more of a evening and night life with a stage and bands.
Both are serviced by "DaBus" which takes you into town and out to Full Throttle.
Don't know about Bulldog's rates, but Rushnomore jacked tent camping to $25/person this year and may raise it next year.
So we may be looking at hotels next year or a cheaper campground.
What I can tell you is that you can't go wrong with Bulldog.
Here's a link to Sturgis Campgrounds, Bulldogs there.
http://www.sturgiscampgrounds.com/

Old 08-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Jabo
Cruiser

My wife and I went to Sturgis for the first time this year. We rode 4178 miles out and back. The only rough time we had was in Kansas and Southern Illinois. We hit 105 degree weather both afternoons and that was too hot for us so we shut down early both afternoons. Had a great time and yes, I would do it again but I have a few other places to go first.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 AM
twin88cam
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Couple of friends and I made a 10 day to Sturgis and back, camped all the way, had a great time. Wish we could have taken more days, but work would not allow. We did the loop, SE GA to Sturgis, Rushmore, Devils Tower, Badlands, Rocky Mountains national park, Continental Divide.
Rode thru,or into, GA,Tn,Ky,Il,MO,Ia,Na,Sd,Mt,Wo,Co,Ks, sorry if I abreviated any states wrong, 4858 total miles, some days 600-700, other days 300-400. Will probably go back..

Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Well the ride here and back must be the best part...because if you think the riding here during the rally is good,....come up and ride when the rally ISN'T here, and you'll never want to ride during the sturgis rally again.

I actually got pissed off....I had a hard time enjoying my ride, because I was surrounded by bikes everywhere I went.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM
iambill
Tourer

The wife and I left Campbell river B.C. on the 4th hoped on the ferry and started our ride.
We met up with friends along the way, and all decided to stay off the interstate, and just have a fun ride there. Which we did ( love the small towns ).
When we pulled into Sturgis We met up with the whole gang (7 in total) 2 first timers.
Since we stay north of Sturgis off to the Broken Spoke we go. Well I love seeing the face of ppl when they ride through there for the first time.
The next night we stop buy to have a cold 1 on the way home and they charge a cover!
W T F??????
The bands they had there wern't even worth a cover in the '80's when they had their hit ( singular).
Every night with the cover, so every night we went to other bars, like the Full Throttle, and Loud American Roadhouse. Which had way better bands anyways.
I think the Spoke dropped the ball with a $10 cover, $5 beer and $2 talent.
Anyhow, after Sturgis we went on a nice road trip up to beartooth pass, to Redwood, and made our way down to Hell's canyon. 2 lane roads all the way, and small towns made it a great vacation

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Somebody mentioned crappy attitude of vendors?? haha. So I walked into one t-shirt joint and asked the girl there to help me find a shirt for my wife. I told her what style she wanted and what size she was. The girl helped me pick out a couple. Then (get this) she says, would you like to see what they're like on me? So she peels off her leather vest, wearing only a sexy black bra and tries on the shirts for me. haha. So I bought one from her. Now that's service!

Quick Reply: Who went to Sturgis, and what did you think?