Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010 | 10:15 PM
sudbury2010glide
|
Cruiser
Default Riding question.

So I finally have a bike to actually go riding with. Sportster was fun but not exactly distance friendly.

So i'm contemplating a little ride during some holidays. I live up in Sudbury Ontario. Was going to ride down through Sault Saint Marie into MI I75 down to I69 then back into Canada via Sarnia and back towards home taking the 402/401/400.

According to mapquest it's about 19/20 hours. And 1100 miles, approx with a few detours to check out harley dealers.

With knowing those approximates, if you were doing that would you plan to do 3 days and 2 nights or 2 days and 1 night? Do you usually book hotel rooms well in advance or just stop and hope places have rooms?

Final question, obviously riding in groups is better but do you tour alone? This would be a mid week event.

Thanks for your input!!
Been riding for 4 years or so now but never done real touring.

Old 08-15-2010 | 10:41 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Questions

Well, your questions are difficult to answer because everyone is different and will have what is best for them. For example, when I did my cross country trip last June (Nevada to PA) I limited myself to 450 to 500 miles per day. I knew that would be my limit and I would still like the bike when I got to my destination. I also did not make hotel reservations, this is probably more determined by where and what time of year, obviously if you travel during a holiday and stay in highly visited places then reservations maybe needed. But generally, I find there are many many places to stay plus if you get delayed you don't have to worry about canceling. I have toured alone and in a small (3-4 bikes) groups. Again, id depends on how comfortable you feel. I traveled once with a large group (15 bikes) and will never do that again.....trying to get 15 people to agree on something is almost impossible. Bottom line, do what you what and enjoy!!!

Old 08-15-2010 | 11:08 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Midweek is going to make getting a room easier. I'd rather not plan it out too much and just enjoy what I find and see.

Old 08-16-2010 | 03:16 PM
pilgrim08
Tourer

Wife and I took a trip to York, PA. We have our own scoots. I planned as much as I could. I sort of like to do that. We even made reservations at a hotel. I am not saying this is the best way to go. This is what we did. The hotel was not the best but, it was comfortable. We only showered and slept there anyway. It was clean. That was our first long trip. We have many more to come and will, I'm sure, try something different next time. Half of the fun is in just trying different ways and being open to change. Good luck and relax and have fun. Ride safe.