Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

My First Trip to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:46 PM
ssager1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Trip to Sturgis

Just got back from my first trip to Sturgis. I had high expectations - and they were met and exceeded.

Here are some highlights and pictures.

First - I rode my bike 1450 miles in 2 days from near Houston and met my brother in NE - he had about same amount traveling from OH. Overall think I put over 4000 miles on my bike last week. I ride my bike almost every day to work and do short trips around the area - this was my first trip over 200 miles - and boy was it a long one - but loved every minute of it and cant wait to do it again! It was a little hot coming back into TX today though - I am baked!

Campground - I did tent camping and loved my campground - clean, hot water, nice people, etc.. They had food, bar and entertainment on site. I stayed at Shade Valley Campground - I was concerned and saw from other reviews it was a little "far" out - it is about 10 miles east of the Chip on 34. Personally, I loved the location - its a beautiful ride, most of the time found we were going opposite traffic and found a "back" entrance into Chip - left campground, drove to chip, parked bike, in concert in about 20 minutes.

Hit pretty much every bar and many were a lot of fun. My brother and I really enjoyed the fights every afternoon at the knuckle saloon. As far as evening entertainment it was hard to beat Full Throttle - saw marshal tucker band and jackyl. Did not know much about jackyl -what a show - they put on best show i saw all week - also saw crue at chip. There are so many good ones its hard to single one out over another - we just found Knuckle (d'town) and FTS to be our favorites.

Rides - saw many people post "its about the rides". Having now experienced it myself I have to agree. Not sure I would make the ride again for just the rally - but throw in the rides and I am definitely going back. Each day we said to ourselves 'it just cant get any better" and every day it did.

Our first ride was badlands - not too much to say about this one other than it was really cool.

Next ride was a long one - left Sturgis went through Nemo, Hill City down to Crazy Horse. I was not going to add Crazy Horse to ride but am really glad I did - amazing project! We looped back to Lake Sylvan and did the whole needles highway, Custer park, wild life loop, mt. rushmore thing - then took 385 back to deadwood and had dinner there. This is a long ride and pretty tired when you get back - kinda have to pay attention on these roads .

Next ride was back roads tp devils tower, huelett (sp?) (on Wednesday of course), then looped back and went through Spearfish and did Spearfish canyon - prettiest stretch of road I think I have ever been on.

Well thats it for now. Post up and let me know how your trip went.

sorry - trying to figure out how to upload my pics - i will look around for instructions and add later.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM
ssager1
Cruiser
Default Pics

Here are pics

Attached Thumbnails My First Trip to Sturgis-dscn0130.jpg   My First Trip to Sturgis-dscn0148.jpg   My First Trip to Sturgis-dscn0142.jpg   My First Trip to Sturgis-dscn0155.jpg   My First Trip to Sturgis-dscn0181.jpg  

Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the insight. Living close enough to Daytona and for the most part knowing were I want to go and see. Getting to be not much of the rally person Would Rather find good places to ride . Dont get me wrong I would love to go to Sturgis but before or after everbody gets there. We went to Tenn,SC and NC for a week this summer and had some of the best riding and the back roads to our selfs during the week and got to meet and talk to some great people .That during the rallies everybody seem to be on a time frame. And you never know who you will run in to.(See pic below wife with the G man himself)

Attached Thumbnails My First Trip to Sturgis-61130029.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 PM
ssager1
Cruiser
Default More

Pictures

Attached Thumbnails My First Trip to Sturgis-dscn0204.jpg   My First Trip to Sturgis-dscn0201.jpg   My First Trip to Sturgis-dscn0197.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 11:41 PM
RiverWolf
Road Warrior

Was watching the History Channel the other night and they had a special on the origin of the sin of "Envy".
OK, I just committed it again!
Only complaint here is your pics are WAY too small!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Weakened Warrior
Tourer

Dude, that is freaking awesome. Having never been myself, I am completely envious.

Jackyl? I didn't know they were still playing.

Here's a cool video of them for those not familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCm6re-RTdc

Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Branded 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ssager1,

your trip sounds about the same as mine. Rode 1400 miles from S/E Indiana and rode the same loops as you. Had a great time. Thanks for the pics.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:47 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

went last year from jax florida to sturgis via the dragon in NC. went up there the week prior to the rally. all vendors were open. sights were wide open. beer was cold. overall great time. stayed for two days at the beginning of the rally. glad we left. got really crowded.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UltraDuke
. glad we left. got really crowded.
Rode 2163 miles round trip. Saw many of the same things as the OP with the exception of the chip and FTS. I'd like to go back again and do the needles and 16A into Mount Rushmore when there are less bikers. Several times, it was stop and go. Too many bikes in one place.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:09 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

My twin sister and her husband called today. They just arrived back home after their ride to Sturgis. She said it was insane. Record number of people and waiting lines everywhere. Even just to get into the towns. She said traffic was backed-up so bad, entering into Deadwood, they just skirted around the town.

Quick Reply: My First Trip to Sturgis