Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

McCall, ID to Missoula, MT need some help....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default McCall, ID to Missoula, MT need some help....

Hey All:

Going to ride from Missoula to McCall on Friday then back to Missoula by 5pm the next day to turn in a rental bike. Planning to do the Lolo pass going south to McCall then considering going south to Cascade, Stanley, Salmon, and back to Missoula the next day.

My question is this, is the route through Cascade, Stanley, Salmon, all paved road? Looking at google maps it looks a little sketchy. Second question is, is that route fairly fast sailing? Google shows it as 8hrs & 38mins. Is that accurate with a few stops for gas and some chow, or could I do a bit better given the road conditions and enforcement of the posted speed?

Got to have a rental bike for my son back to Missoula by 5-530 pm so just trying to figure how early to leave McCall. The group is grinning at 70-80 cruising if it works.

Any other ideas, input, or suggestions? Thanks in advance. EricW

Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Hot
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EricW
Hey All:

Going to ride from Missoula to McCall on Friday then back to Missoula by 5pm the next day to turn in a rental bike. Planning to do the Lolo pass going south to McCall then considering going south to Cascade, Stanley, Salmon, and back to Missoula the next day.

My question is this, is the route through Cascade, Stanley, Salmon, all paved road? Looking at google maps it looks a little sketchy. Second question is, is that route fairly fast sailing? Google shows it as 8hrs & 38mins. Is that accurate with a few stops for gas and some chow, or could I do a bit better given the road conditions and enforcement of the posted speed?

Got to have a rental bike for my son back to Missoula by 5-530 pm so just trying to figure how early to leave McCall. The group is grinning at 70-80 cruising if it works.

Any other ideas, input, or suggestions? Thanks in advance. EricW
Eric, Are you taking Hwy 95 to Hwy 12 ? (google maps) If so that way is 261 miles at about 5 hours.

Thanks,
Rod

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 AM
EricW
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hot
Eric, Are you taking Hwy 95 to Hwy 12 ? (google maps) If so that way is 261 miles at about 5 hours.

Thanks,
Rod
Yep, Thats the way we are going south from Missoula to McCall. That's the route over Lolo Pass that seems to be pretty well reviewed by folks on here. Haven't seen it myself, but I will tomorrow. Thanks. EW

Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 AM
EricW
Cruiser

After a little more digging:

Is the Banks / Lowman Road between Banks, ID (HWY 55) and Lowman, ID (HWY 21) a paved road thats decent to travel?

Everything else looks to be a nice route. Thanks. EW

Edit: Found this YOU TUBE of the route. Looks good

Last edited by EricW; 08-12-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

US 12 is a fun ride. You'll see lots of bikers there.

ID 21 and ID 75 are paved. Did you check the site for the ID Dept of Transportation?

The ride from Salmon to Missoula on US 93 is a nice one.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM
smitty544
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great ride, to bad you have to rush it. enjoy it, try not to put it in the ditch while enjoying the fantastic views.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's going to be a hot one. Stay safe.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Idaho is one of the U.S greatest undiscovered nature paradises. I lived there while being stationed at Mtn Home, Air Force Base in the early to mid 80s. Of all the places i've been i'm not sure i've found a more beautiful place. I had a bike back then and it was heaven to cruise through the Sawtooth National Forest and just all around. Have a wonderful time.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
EricW
Cruiser

Back from the trip. Thanks for all the well wishes. I have only had my bike for just under a year, but this was the top 1 or 2 trips I've made in 13,000 miles.

From where I live in Kettle Falls, WA we took HWY 200 through Sandpoint, Clark Fork, Thompson Falls, Arlee, then into Missoula. This was a great stretch that followed the Pend Oreille (sp) and then the Clark Fork. An awesome run for sure.

Stayed in Missoula right across from Montana Harley at the Wingate. This is a great stop with nice rooms, water slides, real breakfast, fast computers, and a "Harley" rate of $72 for a room with 2 queen beds. I can't say enough about how well both Montana Harley and the Wingate treated us on several issues. Both are first class.

Lolo pass was awesome. Next time I will bring trunks for the hot springs and all the cool swimming holes we saw onthe way. As mentioned above: 1. too bad we had to hurry, 2. Be careful to stay out of the ditch while taking in all the beauty. There is lots to see and all the folks we met were great. Had dinner in McCall at the "Brewery" as its called by locals. Good food & grog. Went south to Cascade then East on onto the Banks/Lowman Rd. Went a couple miles through Crouch, ID (great stop on a Friday night) to a golf course in the hills, can't remember the name. The rooms were a little on the rough side but hey a bed and a shower for $50 is always worth it. We finished the night in the bar at the golf course. They had a shuffle board table and killer nachos. I hadn't played shuffle board in years. It was a blast.

Next day off to Lowman then up through the Sawtooth. Words would not do it justice. Anyone with a bike and some gas money should see this. In our 2 day trip we saw all types of geography from alpine wood lands to Grand Canyon looking rock formations. All the while we were following a stream or river of some sort. No chit, this trip doesnt have 30 mins in 2 days that you are not watching water flow. Sometimes it seems to be flowing uphill. Thats not just damaged brain cells talking either (I don't drink). The raft trips look like a must too. The people in them looked to be having a blast, and all the ones I whooped at raised their paddles and whooped right back. I will raft next time.

Stanley, Salmon, Darby, Stevensville, all looked like places I could grow roots. I will do this trip again soon with a week to burn. We had to hurry along so both my sons to get their stuff ready for college.

This trip was one for the books. I would reccomend it to anyone. Thanks again for the help. This site is a real asset for a newby trying to make up for lost time due to responsibility. I should have that problem ever again.

In fact, if anyone wants to make that trip again this week (the weather looks perfect) I am still packed and have 1/2 a tank. I would leave again in a minute. Have a good one. EW