Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Input please on southern Utah trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM
PCDoc54
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll throw some more photos up, but some other things I thought of ... something to plan for if possible, I have no idea what range you get from your fuel tank but be aware that there are stretches in Utah and Arizona where you might not see a gas station for a hundred miles or more, so watch that fuel guage.

If you're going to Bryce Canyon try to include either a sunrise or sunset, and bring a jacket ... we were there the last week of September and it was 30 degrees!

And a couple of tips for motels. In 2 trips there we've now stayed in about 10 places. The best ones were Pole's Place in Boulder, and the Canyon Ranch Motel in Springdale. Parry Lodge in Kanab wasn't too bad either but avoid the food!

The worst by far was the Red Rock in Kanab. This place was so bad that we checked out and moved on within 5 minutes of getting there.

I'll try and get some photos organized and resized so I can add them here later.

Last edited by PCDoc54; 08-05-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Gwigg
Advanced
Default PCDoc54 - Motel Suggestions

I am planning a trip to all south Utah National Parks for next year. Can you recommend motels for Cortez,Co., Monticello,Ut., Moab,UT., Green River,Ut., Capitol Reef NP., Bryce Canyon NP., Zion Canyon NP.(you already covered this with Canyon Ranch), and Page,Az.? I'm going to have too break the trip up into 2 seperate trips because of time restrictions and plus the travel time to get to Utah from the Houston, Tx. area. Thanks in advance

Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
PCDoc54
5th Gear
Default Motels

Not real sure about some of the places you mentioned Gwigg ... we stayed in a chain when we were in Page, America's Best Value Inn. It was ok, a cheap place to stay for a night. Had a really good meal in Page though, look for the Dam Bar & Grill. I'll see if I can find more info for you.

Ok, you asked for pictures, here's some more. From left to right, Canyon Ranch Motel, Springdale. Road through Zion from the top. Road through Zion from the bottom. Kolob Canyon (north end of Zion NP). Route 95 south heading to Glen Canyon.

Attached Thumbnails Input please on southern Utah trip-canyon-ranch-zion.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-zion-01.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-zion-02.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-kolob-01.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-route-95-south.jpg  

Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
PCDoc54
5th Gear
Default That's not how you post pictures apparently!

Only lets me do 5 at a time and didn't display them.

Attached Thumbnails Input please on southern Utah trip-route-12-01.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-route-12-02.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-route-12-03.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-route-12-04.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-burr-trail.jpg  

Old 08-05-2010, 06:51 PM
PCDoc54
5th Gear
Default Ok, last set

One more time. 2 of Bryce Canyon, 2 of the Moki Dugway, and Monument Valley.

Attached Thumbnails Input please on southern Utah trip-bryce-canyon-01.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-bryce-canyon-02.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-moki-dugway-01.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-moki-dugway-02.jpg   Input please on southern Utah trip-monument-valley.jpg  

Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Nice pictures! I hope the weather is good and we can see those same sights.

I'm wondering about the temperatures in mid-September. It says the average highs may be in the lower 80s but the lows average around 50. At higher elevations like Kanab and Tropic they say mid to lower 40s in the mornings. We will be staying at those locations a couple nights so, I expect we will have a chilly morning ride when we leave those places. Hope it warms up fast!

My stops at night after we leave Moab on Sunday will Mexican Hat, Lee's Ferry, Kanab, Tropic, Hanksville, and then back to Moab (Friday). We'll have a day around Moab and Arches on Saturday before we leave Sunday for home. Have a lot to see in between those stops, but I don't think I'll make it out the way again, so I want to ride as far as we can and see as much as we can in the 7 days we will be there.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every one has left great advice, the only thing I could add would be:
Yes it is cold in the AM and PM in places like Tropic and others but it gets hot durring the day, and you asked about Captial reaf, it is pritty on the west side near Fruita, red rock, water, and petrocliffs, the east side is all gray clay, and in my opinion not much to see, Hanksville is on the east side, and is almost dead, but there is a restaurant there, dont remember its name but the people who run it are accomdating, and the food is great, it shouldn't be hard to find, it is the only one in town as I recall.
Terry

Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Gwigg
Advanced

Those are some nice pictures, PCDoc54. Thanks for the motels, about the same as I have researched. Ozoneman, I hope you can share with us where you stayed and recomendations? I was out there at Arches right after 9/11 and it was very nice during the day but pretty cool in the evenings, but I wasn't on a bike then either. Hiked up to Delicate Arch for some sunset photos and it was down right cold.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your pictures look familiar pcdoc!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Well we leave for Utah this Friday, Sept 10th. Forecast says we will have great weather the whole week (knock on wood)!

Think we have everything planned well, but one thing I'm not sure about is the leg of the trip we do between Kanab and Zion, and back to Bryce. The road (route 9) is open during the day, but under reconstruction. So we may have some spots that are gravel at the locations they are working at. Has anyone been through there recently and if so, what are the conditions of the road? I hate to take the detour around since that will add a lot of time to our trip that day.

Quick Reply: Input please on southern Utah trip