Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Input please on southern Utah trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrbill
One other suggestion.
Buy a National Park Pass.
$80 and it gets you, a passenger and another bike w/passenger into the parks, all with just one pass.
Quick and easy access to the parks and it pays for itself quickly.
+1 on this idea - Works out great - Also, you will then want to go use it at many of the other great National Parks we have.
http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

We just went to Kanab, Ut back in May. Lots of great country out there. We did Bryce as well as Zion. You may have this link but just in case -
http://www.udot.utah.gov/knowwhereknowwhy/

Be safe and have a great time.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
Just North of Mexican Hat is The Moki Dugway. Very cool. You won,t forget it if you ride up or down it.
That is true. I was there earlier this month, ran into a couple on a wing that said the road into Zion was almost un rideable so I skipped it. Hit Bryce and Bridges, down the Moki Dugway, Monument Valley, South Rim etc. Probably the most interesting trip I've been on. Sig pic is between Cedar City and Bryce

Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Couple pics of the area, the last is on the Moki Dugway, have a wonderful trip.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
That is true. I was there earlier this month, ran into a couple on a wing that said the road into Zion was almost un rideable so I skipped it.
I was there 2nd week in June and didn't have any problems.
Tunnel was closed from 9am till 4pm during the week but open all day on the weekends.
I couldn't tell where they were doing any road construction.
Just be sure to check for updates on the tunnel closures before you go.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Fulano
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bryce Area

I would HIGHLY recommend Highway 12 by Bryce. Me and my fam did it the beginning of the summer and man, it was a nice road. Very turny! :P

Great area down there. I've grown up going to Moab every summer so the novelty has kind of worn off, but we did ride the Canyonlands last year. Seems to me your route looks pretty decent. But seriously, checkout highway 12. Google it even. It's a biker hotspot road.

We took a southern UT northern AZ trip this year. Hope you can stand the heat this late in the summer. You're gonna love it though!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Gwigg
Advanced

[QUOTE=Ozoneman;7077697] Is the road that twisted between Mexican Hat and Monument Valley? And what do you mean when you say it is narrow in places?

It has been a while since I have been on that road, so I really don't remember just how twisty it is, its not super twisty. By narrow I mean it is a 2-lane road and in places there is no shoulder. You will be OK, just don't try to haul-*** down that road in the dark. Be safe and enjoy

Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by silvrbill
One other suggestion.
Buy a National Park Pass.
$80 and it gets you, a passenger and another bike w/passenger into the parks, all with just one pass.
Quick and easy access to the parks and it pays for itself quickly.
Yeah, we plan to get one. My wife is 62 so we can get a life time pass for $10. If you are disabled, it is free. One of the guys going with us is 50 percent disabled so we need to fine out if he qualifies.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BearKluttz
All i can offer is that if you need to stretch your legs while in Zion, take the Angels Landing hike. It as been over 10 years since i was there so i can't remember how long it took me but i will always remember that it was well worth the time and effort.
Another vote for the Angels Landing Hike via Walters Wiggles. If you have any fear of heights what-so-ever . . . the last part of the hike will definitely get your attention . . . I still can't believe that it's a legit NFS trail . . . bring a camera!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
PCDoc54
5th Gear
Default Signed up just to add to this thread

First, I'm jealous ... been to Utah twice and really want to go back!

Everyone so far has given you great advice and I'll echo the "get a NP pass" and "go on Route 12" statements.

I looked at your trip route too ... let me say one thing, those travel times are way off base - trust me, you will be stopping every 5 minutes to take pictures!

There's way too much to see in Utah to do it in one vacation but you will be doing yourself a huge favor if you allow for at least a day at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and the same again for Bryce and Zion.

Both times I was there, I was on four wheels instead of 2 so I took roads that bikes might not handle so well. Moki Dugway is one - it is a series of switchbacks and it is gravel. The other is Hell's Backbone just off Route 12 between Escalante and Boulder. If you are a good, careful rider, both are well worth doing.

Be happy to give you more info and suggestions if you want them, and share my photos etc from the trips.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PCDoc54
Everyone so far has given you great advice and I'll echo the "get a NP pass" and "go on Route 12" statements.

I looked at your trip route too ... let me say one thing, those travel times are way off base - trust me, you will be stopping every 5 minutes to take pictures!

Be happy to give you more info and suggestions if you want them, and share my photos etc from the trips.
Yeah, we plan to get the NP pass. And we will definitely be riding on 12.

The travel times are saddle time and doesn't include rest stops or stops for sightseeing. Most of the days will be about 200 miles a day traveling and the rest of the day we will have time to stop and see stuff. I wish I had more time to spend there, but I'll have to budget my time and hopefully get the most out of it. 200 miles a day should leave us time to stop and smell the roses.

Post some pictures. I think everyone will want to see what you have!

Quick Reply: Input please on southern Utah trip