Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

BRP,The Snake,and The Crooked Trail.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts
Default BRP,The Snake,and The Crooked Trail.

Just got back from a great weekend of riding. 7 of us left work Fri afternoon and rode down to Willville Bike Camp (www.willvillebikecamp.com) off the Blue Ridge Parkway and camped Fri. night. Great place to camp by the way. Up early the next morning and after coffee and a biscuit, it was down the BRP to Little Switzerland. Rode around there for a while (Rt 226 is a blast) and then headed north to The Snake (US 421). Great road with lots of twistys and elevation changes. Stopped in Shady Valley Tn for Sat. night and camped at Switchback Creek Motorcycle campground ( www.switchbackcreek.com). Great hospitatility. After a great breakfast Sun. morning at the Racetrack Restaurant in Shady Valley, it was northeast to The Crooked Trail (VA Rt 58) WOW. Miles and miles of twistys and beautiful scenery. Then north on Rt 16 across the Dragons Back (20some miles between Marion VA and Tazewell VA) to Rt460 and WV Rt 20 to home. 700 mi and 4 states in 2 1/2 days on some of the best roads around. Cain't wait to go again.

Attached Thumbnails BRP,The Snake,and The Crooked Trail.-133tunnel.jpg   BRP,The Snake,and The Crooked Trail.-421sign.jpg   BRP,The Snake,and The Crooked Trail.-brp.jpg   BRP,The Snake,and The Crooked Trail.-us421.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

shady vally and the snake are terrible. no one should ever go there. ever. i rode there once and the tn air conked out my engine while the nc road made both of my tires cup.

wink wink local favorite wink wink

thanks for the tip i just checked us58 on the map. i've ridden it over by cumberland gap but never through va. also looked at va16 and found a place called hungry mother... gonna get out there as soon as possible cause that rode looks like wicked fun.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I live about 30 miles from The Snake and The Crooked Road. I ride them often. Those are 2 of the best roads in the Appalachain Mountains for motorcycling. On The Crooked Road do not forget to stop by Grayson Highlands park, hike up the bald, and feed the wild ponies. I have not visited the Dragon's Back but have heard much about it. Thanks for the tip on Willbillebike camp. I'll have to try it soon.