Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

HD Ride the RockiesTour

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default HD Ride the RockiesTour

has anyone done this yet? 18 dealers in colorado, wyoming, and utah are doing this. you pick up a passport and get it stamped at each dealer. take your time and set your own schedule. do you see a lot of pretty country? how long did it take? was it fun?

Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I suppose that if you have the time to do it, and interest in doing it, then go for it. I don't know which 18 dealers it is, but that area of the world is some of the best riding available to bikers.

If you are going to frame that passport or something, go for it. If it's going to get thrown away later, then I say just go out that way and ride to wherever you want to.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM
ColoradoBill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of the Ride the Rocikes deal is that you get one chance to win Street Glide for each dealership you stop at.

My only problem with it is that most of the dealerships are in the Denver area. I hate riding in Denver. No offense to all the riders up in Denver, but I just don't like the traffic.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 PM
10 RG Texan
Stage IV

We just returned from a round trip from the DFW area to Salt Lake City and back. Spent several days in Colorado. Rode from Alamosa to Durango, up to Silverton and on to Ouray. Toured the Bachelor Syracuse silver / gold mine just north of Ouray.

Roads in this part of the state were very good. Very little construction and we enjoyed clear weather with little or no rain. The road from Durango to Silverton and over to Ouray HAS to be one of the best scenic riding roads in the US. I know the Tail of the Dragon is spectacular, but this is as well!

On the way back we spent the night in Cortez and toured Mesa Verde the following day. Approximately 10 miles of the paved road inside the park is being resurfaced and the riding condition here is terrbile. It is rideable, but it's not for beginning riders. The walking tours inside the park are outstanding however. We also made a stop in Madrid, NM, home of the movie Wild Hogs. Enjoyed touring that small town, then back to the heat of the Texas summer.

All in all a superb trip. Most of the roads in Colorado were the highlight of the two week trip.

Highly recommended, Alamosa to Durango. Ride the steam narrow gauge train there if you have the time. We didn't do so this time, but have done so in years past. Silverton to Durango, also known as the "Million dollar highway" since the construction costs way back in the "old" days was a million dollars a mile! See the box canyon falls while in Ouray and also spend some time in the HUGE natural hot springs operated by the city of Ouray.

See Mesa Verde, but beware of the road inside the park while on your HD. The stop in Madrid was fun, but it's lots more fun if you've seen the Wild Hogs movie!

Stopped at HD dealers in Durango, Amarillo, Wichita Falls and Salt Lake. Timpanogos HD in Linden, UT is a destination stop. The building they now occupy used to be an old steel mill. Outstanding display of antique HD's and they operate their own restaurant / grill inside! Buy a t-shirt and enjoy some of the best fries you'll ever eat!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:45 AM
FLSTF2001
6th Gear
Default "Million Dollar" Highway

Agreed that this is a breathtaking ride, but it is a common misconception that the term "Million Dollar Highway" refers to construction costs.
It is actually referring to the millions of dollars in minerals that were mined from the area.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:51 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah that is all great riding. I must add Colorado 141 from Dove Creek up towards Grand Jucntion. The Delores river valley through is really spectacular and a great stop is in Gateway. The Gateway Inn has super rooms, some with a hot tub on the patio, a really good restaurant and the owner has a superb car museum on the property. It is a little pricey, but a good stop over for a day or so.