Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Front Royal to Asheville via Skyline and BRP

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Eats

www.ridetoeat.com Good eats all over the place.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardluk1
Be careful with your bear hunting some of the Mt mitchell area does req. a special drawn permit to hunt there. No worry, many,many bears in these woods now and many have become a problem for deer hunters .
Thanx hardluk1. I don't hunt anymore (long, sad story, lol) but did manage kill 4 black bears, one over 550#, which was huge for a NC bear. I found out later, after I quit hunting, that the way we were hunting was illegal as hell, and the guide knew it. We could have been put under the jail! But I was only a teenager at the time. Glad we didn't get caught. We would get dropped off on the edge of the BRP, then move down a hundred yards or so and sit for an hour or so. Once things got quiet and settled, we would push the dogs where we thought the best prospects were. It was a lot of fun, though I only hunted the Mt Mitchell area once. I hunted the Lake Mattamuskeet area 4 times, and killed 4 bear! Lots of fun, glad I did it.

Thanx for the info. RD.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 AM
66impala
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got back from my trip, it was amazing. I did grandfather mountain, I would say this is a dont miss stop. The riding never stops, just goes on and on. Watch for deer, at dusk we had to get off due to, to many close calls. Besides having a bee get into my boot and stinging me, running over a live skunk that shot out into the road (I survived but he didnt), it was a great time. We did the tail of the dragon in pouring down rain going down hill towards Tn., 25mph was top speed for us. 1700 miles in 4 1/2 days, just a little tired.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 AM
madmax54
Cruiser

There seem to be an abundance of deer this year, I don't know why. The worst scare for me is the bears. You simply won't move a 450 lb bear if you hit him on a bike, and if he hits you, well, you get the idea. They can be anywhere the Parkway goes, cause there is no hunting allowed on the Parkway, and the animals are very aware of this fact. They travel there, especially at dawn and dusk, in larger numbers lately. I see most bears around the more popular overlooks, browsing for garbage and leftover picnic items. The other danger is the family truxter that sees a deer or bear in front of you! I gar-on-tee that they will make a sudden stop to show the kids. No warning, just stop. I near bout hit one in the **** last month, doing just that. It don't do no good to cuss em after you hit em, cause you're at fault.
Ride safe.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:58 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Wheels through time is not closing, that was only a rumor. I am going to try and make the dragon in the next month or so, as soon as I get my bike back together.

I am thinking of going North through Va,up HWY 29, Rt 6, 151 and then 250 and catching the BRP on Afton mountain. Then ride the BRP all the way down to the dragon. Ought to be a good daytrip.

I have bear hunted on Mount Mitchell, and it ws rough. I think it is the highest point in NC. Pretty though, we turned the hunting dogs loose right on the BRP about an hour before daylight, and hunted down to some country roads. Very rough terrain, for sure.
Mt Mitchell is the highest point east of the Mississippi.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Mt Mitchell is the highest point east of the Mississippi.
Thanx for the clarification.