Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Front Royal to Asheville via Skyline and BRP

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM
csharp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from the BRP today, first time seeing Mt. Mitchell it is a must see for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Front Royal to Asheville via Skyline and BRP-mt.-mitchell-003-.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doing the same run August 21. G'Father Mtn. a must. Chimney rock another. The P'Way is open all the way through now, some places maybe only one lane open so expect a few little delays. Wheels Through Time was closed last year as it was moving to Arizona or somewhere. Check their website. Do the Dragon, but not on a weekend or a Friday afternoon. Lot of hype with the Dragon, but if you pay attention and ride within your limits you will be fine. Stop at the start and watch for a little so you can get some space between you and the Riders in front. PIA when you catch up to slower Riders and you have to follow them through. See if there are a bunch of Crotch Rockets looking like they are getting ready to go, wait a little longer and let them go first. If they catchup to you they won't wait behind you. Enjoy.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Wheels through time is not closing, that was only a rumor. I am going to try and make the dragon in the next month or so, as soon as I get my bike back together.

I am thinking of going North through Va,up HWY 29, Rt 6, 151 and then 250 and catching the BRP on Afton mountain. Then ride the BRP all the way down to the dragon. Ought to be a good daytrip.

I have bear hunted on Mount Mitchell, and it ws rough. I think it is the highest point in NC. Pretty though, we turned the hunting dogs loose right on the BRP about an hour before daylight, and hunted down to some country roads. Very rough terrain, for sure.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:53 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 496 Likes on 258 Posts

Hey Randy...
check out "Blue Mountain Brewery" while you're in that area... it's on 151 between 6, and 250
good food, and great beer

Last month 151 was milled up north of Bryant.... really was "interesting" in the rain.... no pucker moments as we had the road to ourselves. but if you see a sign "unmarked pavement ahead". be careful!!! I imagine they've fixed the pavement, by now

Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I used to pass that brewery every Thursday about 6:30 or 7:00. Always had cars in the lot, must have a good rep. I never stopped, but now I wish I had. How is the parkway from Afton down South?

Thanx, Randy D

Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

RandyDowdy WTT was looking to move. The state and local town did not hold up on there obligations. Arz wanted them and they were in the process of moveing. Things changed and they stayed. Good for us. Be careful with your bear hunting some of the Mt mitchell area does req. a special drawn permit to hunt there. No worry, many,many bears in these woods now and many have become a problem for deer hunters . Put feeders out and bear stay in the area and it's not as safe as it once was to even walk to or away from your stand in the dark in some areas.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 496 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I used to pass that brewery every Thursday about 6:30 or 7:00. Always had cars in the lot, must have a good rep. I never stopped, but now I wish I had. How is the parkway from Afton down South?

Thanx, Randy D
Makes for a gret place to rest after a day's ride.
Northern half of the BRP tends to be smoother, and flatter than the southern half. Still lots of good places to stop and take it all in. As far as I'm concerned... there ain't no "bad" on the parkway. Although the "go-fast or stay home" folks don't like the slow pace. There are plenty of side roads to get the juices flowing...

Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Gman WV
3rd Gear

I've done Maggie Valley, the Dragons Tail, the Blowing Rock, Biltmore House, Mt Mitchell. Maggie Valley has a bike museum like you have probably never seen. But I don't know for sure how their hours are. Best to look it up and call to see what and when they are doing there. Those places are all good. Went to Grandfather Mt. too, but it was closed because of the fog that day. I would make sure to do The Biltmore, I've been there 4 times and liked it every time. Have a great trip!!!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Glave
Intermediate

Thanks all for the input!!!!!!!!!!! Headed out this afternoon and I've got the suggestions in my pocket!! Weather looks dicey for the 1st couple of days but what the he@@ I'm on the scooter right!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:16 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cone Mansion is a real step back in time. Spend the night in Sparta, NC and stay at the Alleghney Motel (biker friendly). Eat at the Ships Wheel just up the road from the motel. There's a great breakfast place in the motel parking lot. At the south end of the BRP make your way over to NC 28, the Hellbender which parrallels Fontana Lake. Stop at the dam and talk with the information people. I think that the guy that we talked to helped build the dam. Most any direction or raod that you happen to find yourself on in that area will be worth riding.

Quick Reply: Front Royal to Asheville via Skyline and BRP