Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Affording camping gear to pack on bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Squirrelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
REI campdome 2 http://www.rei.com/product/731378 is what I use. Packs small (7 x 22) set up is super easy. And it has already seen a huge downpour with high winds and it stayed dry. It 99 but it is bomb proof and simple. MANY cheap tents will let you down when the rain or wind comes. Mainly this is because of the fabric and the fact that the seams are not sealed on cheaper tents.

I have a medium black duffel (got it on sale for $15)http://www.rei.com/product/795136 that has the tent, a sleeping bag, a sleeping pad, a stove the pocket rocket. It is on sale right now fro $30 (just got this stove. It is great. Another biker turned me onto to it smaller than a deck of cards) http://www.rei.com/product/660163
It also has a backpack pot, a french press coffee mug from starbucks to make coffee, a bowl, a glass, and fork knife ect. And cause I am a geek a chair that is the size of a wine bottle. http://www.rei.com/product/792007. Not cheap but I love this thing.
I also always key a swiss army on the bike. This is all in the duffle. The stuff that needs to stay dry are in waterprof bags in the duffle (mainly freezer bags)
I strap the bag to the sportie with bungees and have everything I need to camp. I have a backseat on mine so that is where the bag goes but you could strap it to a fender.
Ohh and get yourself a camp towel. They dry quick, hold a ton of water, and are super small.

More than you asked for but thought I would share.

Also super cool thing about REI is their return policy. It is no questions asked and doesn't have a time limit. I take stuff back all the time if I don't like it. I even returned a screen tent after a storm destroyed it. They gave me a new one without asking. This policy alone saves you money. Don't like the tent return it.
Great info Liz, thanks for posting it. As a side note, you either work at REI or have a serious addiction.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelhead
Great info Liz, thanks for posting it. As a side note, you either work at REI or have a serious addiction.
Sadly for my bank account I have an addition. That addition is less expensive then a chrome addition which I have not picked up yet.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:45 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I've tried most of the major brands over the years, they all have their pros and cons.
I'm waiting on my next one now from a company called Big Agnes.
My Sierra Designs is too small for an extended stay but excellent for 1 or 2 nights.
The Marmot I have is good for 3 or 4 nights of camping in a row then it starts feeling small.
My North Face Foundation 4 (60 sq Ft) had its poles destroyed in the worst storm I ever endured in NM earlier this month. Its profile is too tall to withstand 50mph+ winds so I sacrificed some room with my Big Agnes to have a more aerodynamic tent.
It's all about trade-offs.
Whatever you get put down a footprint to protect the floor, it's the weak spot on any tent.