Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Affording camping gear to pack on bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
Liz the chair you post has a butterfly. I am not comfortable enough to take a butterfly chair to a MC Rally.
LOL.. Turn it into a skull..

Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
Liz the chair you post has a butterfly. I am not comfortable enough to take a butterfly chair to a MC Rally.
um... if you get crap at a rally for being comfortable, never go back to that rally again. seriously. thats not a motorcycle rally thats an loose organization of douche canoes.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
I also have the MSR dragon but takes up more space so I figured for summer and at sea level I got this one. (Ohh and a car camping one with a grill and a burner that uses propane but that is not for the bike).
The point of buying gear is to buy the best gear for what you actually need it for.

I do fall into that trap once in a while of "over-gearing," you know, buying the bestest, mostest, etc. I'm usually really tickled with myself for buying that kind of stuff, until I try to pack it or carry it on my back

Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
The point of buying gear is to buy the best gear for what you actually need it for.

I do fall into that trap once in a while of "over-gearing," you know, buying the bestest, mostest, etc. I'm usually really tickled with myself for buying that kind of stuff, until I try to pack it or carry it on my back
Each of my stoves is for a different thing. I camp a lot so it is worth it to me. Just spent a week car camping with kid (used the propane), The Dragon I have had for 10 years use back packing in colder months. This one will be bike camping gear for summer. Also since I am a vegan (you can gasp now) I have to cook even at rallies since last I look most rallies they don't serve veggie burgers. And I am a good coffee junkie.

Same with Tents I had one big tent for car camping and this one for bike/ backpacking.
But I agree that the shiny bobble thing can come up with gear same as it can chrome.
Like my titanium pots that were over priced 5 years ago when I got them. Cool but overkill for me.

If you only sleep in a tent at rallies during the summer get the basics.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
Each of my stoves is for a different thing. I camp a lot so it is worth it to me. Just spent a week car camping with kid (used the propane), The Dragon I have had for 10 years use back packing in colder months. This one will be bike camping gear for summer. Also since I am a vegan (you can gasp now) I have to cook even at rallies since last I look most rallies they don't serve veggie burgers. And I am a good coffee junkie.
Isn't *good* coffee just the most sublime thing when you're camping? I gotsta have my good coffee, too.

I won't gasp at 'vegans'--I used to live in places like Seattle and Madison after all . Actually, I bet it is easier for extended camping and backpacking. (Although, I do like a good hunk a cheese every now and then.) I pack veggie burgers regularly. If worse comes to worse, you can eat them uncooked.

Same with Tents I had one big tent for car camping and this one for bike/ backpacking.
But I agree that the shiny bobble thing can come up with gear same as it can chrome.
Like my titanium pots that were over priced 5 years ago when I got them. Cool but overkill for me.
My car-camping tent is a 18-year old REI GeoDome 4. I don't think they even make them anymore. But, it still rocks. SOOOooooo roomy. It's plush

And, yeah.....O went for the Ti pots, too. Expensive, but, I still have them. Maybe we spent our money well on those, eh?

Nice comparison: gear bobble + chrome for the bike

Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For tents: If you aren't claustrophobic, this is THE motorcycle camping tent: the Marmot EOS... http://marmot.com/products/eos_1p?p=118,173,74,75
One of the coolest things about it is that you can set up just the fly without the tent. It packs up tiny - will easily fit in a saddlebag.

For a chair: the Crazy Creek chair is so awesome that I can't even describe it. It's perfect.
http://www.crazycreek.com/product/1/1/

Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackBastard
For tents: If you aren't claustrophobic, this is THE motorcycle camping tent: the Marmot EOS... http://marmot.com/products/eos_1p?p=118,173,74,75
One of the coolest things about it is that you can set up just the fly without the tent. It packs up tiny - will easily fit in a saddlebag.

For a chair: the Crazy Creek chair is so awesome that I can't even describe it. It's perfect.
http://www.crazycreek.com/product/1/1/
I've been looking at those types of chairs but for some reason it just looks like I'll just fall backwards on it.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

for general rally/camping use, you want a chair with legs. fireants suck. so does sitting in the dirt when theres no place to shower.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tent

Brutalbrad I have a four person tent that I used on my trips. Packed on a RK. I don't camp anymore so don't need it. If you are still looking send me a PM and I'll measure it. It sets up quick, has those fiberglass shock cords. I believe it is a dome type tent. Let you have it for $45.00 + shipping.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I've got an Eureka Tetragon 5 tent that has served me well for a half-dozen road trips in the past couple of years. The most recent trip (last week of May) was a ride from Baton Rouge, LA, up into south-central Tennesee, with a few days at a BMW rally in Huntsville, AL. While camping at the rally, we had some serious weather, thuderstorm with high winds, hail (1/2") and scary lightning. My tent stayed dry despite both rainfly poles getting broken. When I was taking the tent down prior to heading home, I also discovered that one of the two main tent poles was splintering.

After getting home I called Eureka to inquire about purchasing replacements or repair kits for the rainfly poles (repair kits for main poles are readily available, but the rainfly poles are smaller with special tips). The lady I spoke to suggested that I send all the broken poles for their inspection and maybe they would be warranteed. I didn't have much confidence about that outcome, but yesterday I received a package containing two new rainfly poles and a new main tent pole.

As some others here have noted about camping gear and other products, you usually do get what you pay for. It's nice to know Eureka stands behind their products!

Quick Reply: Affording camping gear to pack on bike