Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

from Maryland to Lancaster to York.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM
shagster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from Maryland to Lancaster to York.......

Did a two day road trip. Left from Eastern Shore of Md headed 301N to Galena and pick up 213N through Chesapeake City to Elkton. A couple of notes, we took 301 to save time from riding 213N up from Centreville (we've done it before and you can get caught up behind tractors etc.). Just before Elkton we stopped at Baker's Restaurant (on 213N). Excellent food & reasonable rates.

We stayed on Rt213 and crossed Rt40 all the way up to Rt273W. We were planning on stopping by the Conowingo Dam. Instead of staying on Rt273 and merging into Rt1 (which crosses the Dam) I took Rt222 south. Turns out that the Rt222 south I took was (TRUCK), a different route! We ended up back at Rt40, turned around then found the "right" Rt 222 North through Port Deposit and on up to the Dam. On the west side of the dam, take the road right before coming across the dam back and follow the signs for (electric plant/boat ramp). You'll make a sharp right turn then go down a winding rough road but the payoff is a huge park area with shade trees, picnic benches etc. We hiked up to the dam's edge (along the water) and watched as a half dozen fisherman waded into the water to fish.

After leaving we stopped by Darlington Harley then headed back down Rt222 along the Susquehanna River to stop off at the Union Tavern. There was only one other biker there besides the three of us! We got a cold beer and headed up Rt222 to Lancaster. Beautiful Amish country but you've got to keep your eyes on the road for traffic and turns!

We rode through Lancaster and spotted a trendy section downtown that looked like fun (restaurants, art, music, trendy bars, etc) and decided to stay the night. Unfortunately we couldn't find a reasonably priced room. Seems they were having two "shows" in town that weekend and most everything was booked (we could have stayed for $150 / night, No, no, no). We finally gave up and decided to head on towards York. RT30 west is a busy, busy road. We stayed at a Hampton Inn in York for $89/ night and it was clean, friendly and had a nice breakfast in the morning. They also let us park our bikes under the front awning. They suggested we try the White Rose Grille for dinner. What a choice. THe place is not to be missed. You cook your own food on a hot stone. Fantastic.

In the morning we were disappointed to find that the Harley Tours were canceled because they were moving equipment. We did go the the gift shop and watched a film. That was worthwhile. I was in need of an espresso so we rode around downtown York looking for a cool little coffee shop. We couldn't find one. Had to settle for Dunkin Dounts (not my favorite!).

On some advise we headed out to Jefferson Pa. to the White Rose Motorcycle club. They were having a British motorcycle event. We saw some cool vintage Triumph, Nortons, etc. It was TOO blasted hot to stand out side and there were only a couple of women there (which made my wife feel out of place) so we headed south on Rt516 (absolutely beautiful scenery) and crossed over into Lineboro stopping at the Tavern right across the line into Md. We had a cold beer and a few laughs with some locals before headed back to to Rt851 E and catching RT83 S. Man do cars fly on RT83. We were holding a steady 70mph and they were flying by us.
We headed around Rt695 to Annapolis and over the Bay Bridge to stop off at the Sado Thai Restaurant (Chester Md.) located at the Castle Bay Marina. They have some of the best sushi I've ever eaten and the prices are great.

We loved the trip. Planning another one in July for a week. This stuff is addictive!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 AM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 39 Posts

You were right in my back yard. Bummer about the factory tour being closed though. We patronize the White Rose frequently on our bikes (front row parking). You should consider the weekend of July 8th when Gettysburg Bike Weekend is going on. It's a fun time up there with all the bikes around and there is an awesome AC/DC tribute band playing at 8:00 Saturday night. I would check out some of the roads in Maryland just below the PA border (Belair to Westminster to Thurmont to G-Burg). You'll want to stop back at The Union Hotel on a Sunday, they typically get a few hundred bikes there on Sundays.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
shagster
Cruiser

Actually we are planning on leaving here around July 5th and heading west through WV then back up through the southwest of Pa arriving at Gettysburg for their Bike Week. I think that AC/DC tribute band is the same one we saw at Delmarva Bike Week last year (at Seacret's), they were fantastic.......until the lead singer banged his head on the overhead speakers and had to stop the show and give a few stitches! LOL

Old 06-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Twofields6
Advanced

Excellent area for rides. Live around Bel Air in MD and ride that area regularly; drive the Heritage Classic to work in York every nice day (and some not so nice) but love the area to ride in. The Harley dealer in Darlington is the best!! We stop there regularly. The Union is great on the weekends as is the Susky River Grille in downtown Port Deposit; perfect deck overlooking the river and great service and food.

Rode 216 up to Gettysburg a couple of weeks ago and did the battlefield tour on the bike. Loved it!!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 39 Posts

The tribute band at Seacrets was Live Wire, this one is Back In Black from Springfield, MA. I've seen them about 65 times since 1993 (yes I have a problem) and they are much better than any other AC/DC tribute band although Live Wire was pretty good. I believe they are scheduled to play Delmarva again this year. Anyhow, I'm glad you have already considered Gettysburg as part of your trip. Enjoy and be safe!