Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Arizona Grand Canyon Here we come.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 AM
C Clamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arizona Grand Canyon Here we come.

Curious where to stay and what roads to ride and what to see in Arizona. As of right now we have made no reservations or anything. Still 2+ months out. I would greatly appreciate some feedback or suggestions from others that have traveled this or live in the area as to where to stay, ride and visit on our trip. I have ordered some info from the Arizona Travel online to see what that has.

This is so far all tentative, I look forward to hearing comments and suggestions.

Sat. Day 1 leave FW and hopefully make it to Santa Rosa. Stopping to visit some Rt. 66 stuff along the way.

Sun. Day 2 Santa Rosa to Flagstaff, again stopping to visit some Rt. 66 stuff along the way.

Mon. Day 3 From Flagstaff/? visit Grand Canyon

Tues. Day 4 Figured day ride down thru Sedona and the Red Rock Scenic Byway.

Wed. Day 5 Leave Flagstaff area, and head down to Silver City on the Coranado Trail. Depending on time if we can't make it to Silver City stay in Duncan or Lordsburg.

Thurs. Day 6 Leave Silver City and head to Ruidoso, NM stopping by the White Sands Monument and visiting Cloudcroft.

Fri. Day 7 Hang in Ruidoso and go to Golden Aspen Rally.

Sat. Day 8 either Cruise Ruidoso for start heading east to Fort Worth.

Sun. Day 9 Have to be home!! I need to win the lottery..

2,279 mi I will be riding my Ultra and the wife will be taking her "Heritage Ultra Lite". This will be the longest trip she has been on with her own bike..

Thank you.

Last edited by C Clamp; 06-17-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:05 PM
niteglide
Cruiser

I'm leaving Atlanta the 3rd of July for the Grand Canyon. 3660 miles (round trip). Taking 3 days out and 3 days back. Will have a couple of days there. I can't wait.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Niteglide I don't know why people say (I can't wait) You either have to wait or
you have to leave right now. I would leave right now if it were me

Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're a Rt66 fan your missing one of the best parts of it west of Flagstaff from Seligman to Kingman and my favorite from Kingman to Oatman. That said I wouldn't spend 2 days in Flagstaff instead I'd run 89A south thru Sedona/Cottonwood/ Jerome to Prescott then 69S to 169 then 17N to 260E back to your planned route

Old 06-20-2010, 09:58 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, sounds like you have a good plan. I would suggest staying in Williams if you can. From Williams to the Canyon is roughly 50 miles. Then, Flag is about 35-40 miles away.
Williams is part of Route 66.

As you head East on I-40 into Flag, there is a Harley shop in case you want to pick up a shirt or something.

Again, on I-40 to 89A to Sedona. A very beautiful ride. Based on your time frame, sounds like you will be out here Aug/Sept time frame. Just remember, it is still hot and it is our monsoon season so make sure you have rain gear just in case.

The Coronado Trail is real nice. Also, make sure you drink lots of water.

Thank you for speding your time and money in Arizona. Hope you folks have a safe and enjoyable time.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by C Clamp
Curious where to stay and what roads to ride and what to see in Arizona. As of right now we have made no reservations or anything. Still 2+ months out. I would greatly appreciate some feedback or suggestions from others that have traveled this or live in the area as to where to stay, ride and visit on our trip. I have ordered some info from the Arizona Travel online to see what that has.

This is so far all tentative, I look forward to hearing comments and suggestions.

Sat. Day 1 leave FW and hopefully make it to Santa Rosa. Stopping to visit some Rt. 66 stuff along the way.

Sun. Day 2 Santa Rosa to Flagstaff, again stopping to visit some Rt. 66 stuff along the way.

Mon. Day 3 From Flagstaff/? visit Grand Canyon

Tues. Day 4 Figured day ride down thru Sedona and the Red Rock Scenic Byway.

Wed. Day 5 Leave Flagstaff area, and head down to Silver City on the Coranado Trail. Depending on time if we can't make it to Silver City stay in Duncan or Lordsburg.

Thurs. Day 6 Leave Silver City and head to Ruidoso, NM stopping by the White Sands Monument and visiting Cloudcroft.

Fri. Day 7 Hang in Ruidoso and go to Golden Aspen Rally.

Sat. Day 8 either Cruise Ruidoso for start heading east to Fort Worth.

Sun. Day 9 Have to be home!! I need to win the lottery..

2,279 mi I will be riding my Ultra and the wife will be taking her "Heritage Ultra Lite". This will be the longest trip she has been on with her own bike..

Google Map I put together.

Thank you.

Way over-planned. Head north west until half your time off is over then head south east until the day before you have to go back to work.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

stop at most any gas station - pick up a coupon book for motels and save a bundle... IF your budget can handle it - see the canyon from a Hilocopter ride - it really is the best way to see it all from the air... THEN if time permits go to Monument Valley and do a jeep tour - I actually enjoyed that more than the Grand Canyon. Very different. Enjoy our trip and prepare for ALL types of weather.

another great ride is south from flaggstaff to Sedona...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
C Clamp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harley0711
stop at most any gas station - pick up a coupon book for motels and save a bundle... IF your budget can handle it - see the canyon from a Hilocopter ride - it really is the best way to see it all from the air... THEN if time permits go to Monument Valley and do a jeep tour - I actually enjoyed that more than the Grand Canyon. Very different. Enjoy our trip and prepare for ALL types of weather.

another great ride is south from flaggstaff to Sedona...
Thanks everyone, and that is one thing that the wife wants to do is the helicopter ride. I found a lot out of Las Vegas, but few from Flagstaff area. Hope there is some info in the travel guides that should be coming.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
C Clamp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rinja64
Well, sounds like you have a good plan. I would suggest staying in Williams if you can. From Williams to the Canyon is roughly 50 miles. Then, Flag is about 35-40 miles away.
Williams is part of Route 66.

As you head East on I-40 into Flag, there is a Harley shop in case you want to pick up a shirt or something.

Again, on I-40 to 89A to Sedona. A very beautiful ride. Based on your time frame, sounds like you will be out here Aug/Sept time frame. Just remember, it is still hot and it is our monsoon season so make sure you have rain gear just in case.

The Coronado Trail is real nice. Also, make sure you drink lots of water.

Thank you for spending your time and money in Arizona. Hope you folks have a safe and enjoyable time.
This is what I am looking for, I will definitely check out Williams. It will be mid September. All most all time find the Harley shop for a "memento" of some sort.. Thanks again

Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Papillon is one of, if not the only?? anyway - check it out...and try your best to get the front seat with the pilot..

http://www.papillon.com/popris/show_...=15&lang=en-US

Quick Reply: Arizona Grand Canyon Here we come.