Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:32 PM
chipdavey
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Colorado springs?

My lady friend and I are riding from KC to Colorado springs in about a week, and wanting to know wheres the best places to stay. We're camping, but chics need more options than guys...go figure. Also looking for drinking establishments, eateries. I am hoping someone who is there a lot, or lives there, may tell us??

Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
DocPlez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't miss the ride to Pikes Peak .. you can even stop at one of the gift shops on the way up or down and get the "I Rode The Peak" patch for your vest. Cripple Creek is an awesome ride up in the mountains and of course don't miss Manitou CO (great food and a neat town), the cliff dwellings, Old Colorado, Garden of the Gods, the Holy Cross Abbey Winery at Canon City, etc. I've never camped there ... just got back from my nephews graduation from the Air Force Academy there. If you continue west dont' miss Glenwood Hot Springs for a good soak int eh biggest hot spring you've ever seen in your life.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
DocPlez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost forgot ... if you ride the peak check the winds at the ranger station at the bottom. Can be pretty treacherous on a bike. Lots of places to eat in downtown Colorado Springs ... brewpubs, etc.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

sounds like a great time. We plan on riding that area in early august.That road looks amazing going up to the the top of the Peak

Old 06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pikes Peak road is NOT paved all the way up,just to let you know..take the tram up

Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AR-15 DEUCE
Pikes Peak road is NOT paved all the way up,just to let you know..take the tram up
+1
Used to live there. U can ride up the paved section if u want. There are great places to stop and have lunch or just kick it for a bit. However, If u want to go to the top I would take the tram. It is pretty cool. I usually won['t complain about road conditions, but the road to the peak is dirt for at least the last 2 miles or so and not that it matters much, but the drops can be in the thousands of feet of on the sides of the road. That, combined with the steepish grade and great possibility of daily rain showers make it a no-brainer to me.
U should ride north through fairplay toward breckinridge then around south toward gunnison through leadville, then find your way back through canon city.
Now that would be a good 1-2 days!

Have fun!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode up there from South TX a few years ago. If you're camping I recommend the KOA in CO Springs. They have an outdoor cafe that serves breakfast and dinner. On Friday night they have an awesome BBQ. You'll have a great time with lots to see and do in the area, along with some really great rides.