Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Smokey mountains trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:11 AM
thehermeslonghorn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Bingee

Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have a 2 bedroom house rented just outside Maggie Valley from 26 June through 3 July. I'm riding my Ultra from Eastern NC. My Wife is driving from S Central Tn. Step son and his wife will be riding from S central Tn. Man I can't wait.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
We rode the dragon and the triangle last year. Hellbender 28, where I first dragged my floorboards, on the way to the dragon.
I ordered maps from america rides dot com. I got the waterfalls west. It should be an awesome time.
Since the economy has tanked, we are gonna be broke. No worry, eat breakfast at the house. Carry sandwiches and drinks for lunch at a waterfall or overlook. Go back to the house and eat supper, go to bed and do it all over the next day.
We have done it camping, rented a cabin and now are going to try a house. Camping is cool but a lot of trouble packing up. The cabin was cool, enjoyed a fire outside. Not gonna be able to do that with a house but it does have a fire place.
SIX more days and I'm on the road.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:26 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for all the info everyone. Looking forward to some good riding!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep, if your like us the only disappointmen you might have is having to leave...lol.....oh and maybe the atrocious traffic congestion in PF and Gat.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Yep, if your like us the only disappointmen you might have is having to leave...lol.....
So true, it will kinda bring a tear to your eye

Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 PM
mc1960
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We stay in Wears Valley, and try to avoid PF, go 321 toT ownsend, some good riding in that area.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Yep, if your like us the only disappointment you might have is having to leave...lol.....oh and maybe the atrocious traffic congestion in PF and Gat.
You are so right! Just had a great week long stay on the other side (Maggie Valley, NC), and the day we left we rode through PF and Gat to get to I-40 to head home, since the other way to I-40 westbound, north of Maggie was one lane from the rock slide earlier this year, and what a pain PF was! It drove me crazy! For a week I didn't have to deal with any traffic or tourists. It took us a couple hours just to get through the park, Gat, and PF. I wonder if it would have been better to try the one lane I-40 west backup? BTW, I-40 east is OK.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

If for no other reason than to relieve some of the stress sitting in crawling traffic in the heat of the day while feeling the heat radiate from your V Twin powerplant, all the while knowing the temps inside are skyrocketing and a disastrous breakdown could occur if you don't get the **** moving....lol OR a huge ominously black evil looking cloud appears overhead....otherwise going through Gat and PF is a piece of cake.

I love Tennessee. Want to go back all the time. Plan on moving there when the wife retires. Find some backroad hidden clearing in the woods with a stream and total solitude. Screw civilization.

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
You are so right! Just had a great week long stay on the other side (Maggie Valley, NC), and the day we left we rode through PF and Gat to get to I-40 to head home, since the other way to I-40 westbound, north of Maggie was one lane from the rock slide earlier this year, and what a pain PF was! It drove me crazy! For a week I didn't have to deal with any traffic or tourists. It took us a couple hours just to get through the park, Gat, and PF. I wonder if it would have been better to try the one lane I-40 west backup? BTW, I-40 east is OK.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
whannigan1
Cruiser

Just got back from the Dragon Awesome ride.

FYI 129 is still closed from Tenn. they said next month it will reopen. they do open the 11 miles of the tail of the dragon from 8am to 8pm Daily on Fathers day we were denied access at 7pm so do not wait till the end of the day.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We just got back and rented a secluded cabin. Awesome trip. I usually go down once or twice a year. On 321 (in Waldens creek I think) there is a little restaurant called Grandma's Kitchen. Stop in and try the cathead biscuits. I've never eaten a biscuit this good from such a nice group of people.

129 is closed at the Foothils pky so if you want to ride the Dragon you need to go around. I Also like Cades Cove but you HAVE to go at daybreak unless you like sitting in traffic while all these tools take pictures from their car.

Quick Reply: Smokey mountains trip