Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

North Carolina Nags Head Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default North Carolina Nags Head Question

I'm heading for Nags head for a week and am able to take the bike along. I know NC is a helmet state, but does anyone know exactly how strict they are? Will a skid lid suffice? Or should I just bite the bullet and wear the DOT mushroom helmet?

Thanks for the help.

And if anyone is on Nags Head from the 22nd to the 29th let me know and we can ride.

Jimmy

Last edited by JimmySGC; 06-07-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Sporty&Fat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nags Head Helmet?

Have not heard of anyone having problems with skid lids. I live about a hour and a half inland from Nags Head and quite a few from these parts go there often.
One thing to watch is your speed on the beach road. This has been a speed trap for years for bikes and cages.
Enjoy your trip.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a DOT is required in NC. Search for a thread on NC helmet laws. I think a lot has to do with the LEO's interpretation of the law. To be on the safe side I would take a DOT helmet along. Its a small price to pay to keep your bike being parked. Enjoy the trip.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
groundedangel69
Advanced

DOT is required in NC so bring one just in case. But unless you're stopped for speeding you should be fine with just your skid lid. Never heard of anyone getting pulled just so they can check if you're wearing DOT or not. Watch out for sand on the beach road. Like Sporty&Fat said watch your speed there. All along between Manteo and Nags Head and any 45 mph zone they will get you too.

Seasons already started and Friday afternoons are nuts for traffic and all day Saturday. Sunday is a little better. Be real alert around any of those fruit or seafood stands on the weekend. Even the motor homes will pull right out in front of you leaving those things or slam on brakes to turn into one.

You riding down or trailering the bike?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

NC is a DOT helmet state. There wasn't much enforcement after the law changed. But there is an effort to crack down on non DOT helmets. During local bike events and the bike weeks, check points have been set up in some areas.

It depends on where you drive, how small your beanie helmet looks and the cop in the car.

If you are running I-40 through Duplin County and that area, it might be a good idea to wear a leagal helmet. There is always lots of speed enforcement in that area.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
gregosmi
4th Gear

My experience is the non-DOT helmet infraction in NC is an add-on to a ticket, much like not wearing a seat belt in a car. Rarely are you stopped for that infraction, but if you are stopped for other reasons, you will likely get hit with the added expense.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Lennon
Stage I

You can get by with the lid - make sure you set aside a day to ride to Hatteras, take the free ferry to Ocracoke and enjoy. You will love it. Good food and people.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by groundedangel69
You riding down or trailering the bike?
Trailering, the inlaws have a cottage a block off the beach. We go every year, this is the first year that I've had both a bike and a trailer to bring it with.

Originally Posted by Lennon
You can get by with the lid - make sure you set aside a day to ride to Hatteras, take the free ferry to Ocracoke and enjoy. You will love it. Good food and people.
Hatteras sounds like a great idea, may have to do that. Thanks

Jimmy

Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 PM
groundedangel69
Advanced

Cool deal. Block off the beach is perfect!
Hatteras/Ocracoke is a great idea. Riding over to Corolla is always nice too.
If you have problems or need something give me a shout, I'm only about a half hour away.