Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip to Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Pierre
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Road Trip to Idaho

I want to make a road trip to Idaho from Quebec City Canada in july this year...someone ride there before ? can you tell me the best scenic road to ride and see in this state ? Thanks for your help....Pierre

Old 06-06-2010, 03:08 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Where in Idaho is your destination?

Old 06-06-2010, 05:35 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's impressively mountainous in the north (Sawtooths), and starts to open up a little in the south, but still plenty of mountains. It's a big place.

Will you be coming in from Canada? From I-90? Or....?

That would help us help you.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Faber knows Montana, I'm an old Idaho guy myself.

If you want to see the southern portion of the state I'd recommend the Sawtooth Mountains (actually in the southern portion of the state Faber) via hwy 21 and 75. The Craters of the Moon on hwy 20 are also kinda cool.

If you want to see the north/central part of Idaho, then hwy 12 is a must. Twisties on and off for 99 miles.

And if you are coming from Canada, and are headed towards the Coeur d'Alene area, try the road around Lake Coeur d'Alene (I think it's 97).

If you are traveling from north to south in the state of Idaho, you don't have that many options. I'd recommend 95 to 55 through McCall and into Boise.

Of course, once you enter Idaho then you are only a hop from some awesome riding in western Montana which Faber can fill you in with.

Once we know exactly how you are entering the state and where you are headed, we can give you even more specific local roads to ride if you need.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Pierre
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, i'm coming from Yellowstone Natl Park, and i like to see and ride great mountain roads... roads that look like Beartooths Highway if possible... Thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I know it seems like you've answered the previous questions . . . but, I have a follow up. When you're in YNP will you have already been through Teton National Park? I'm assuming, "No", since you're coming from the north. Based on that, I would say go down through TNP to Jackson, then:

Try the route on this map.

It basically takes you past Craters of the Moon, Sun Valley, McCall, then Hwy 12 to Lolo, MT. The road from McCall, ID to Lolo, MT is one of my favorite rides ever.

There are a couple of high mountain passes on this route, but nothing that I would say compares to the Beartooth. Honestly, I'm not aware of anything that really compares to that road. If there's something out there, I want to know about it so I can start planning my trip.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
jimmie d wad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back in 01 i rode around idaho.came in on 12 through lolo pass to lowman.took 93 i believe n to corde lane(i know the spelling is way off on that)then took 3 south.went through lowman(that area is cool)rode around in hells canyon(trip was ment to be an adventure)took a no rv beyond this point road and i know why they say that.my heritage weighed 1100 lbs without me.and the road was like a 4 wd trail.took most of a daty to go 75 miles.crates of the moon was ok.glad i saw it.find a map with senic routes marked and stay on them as much as posible