Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

North to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Notsure
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default North to Alaska

Not sure when we'll ( the wife and I) leave the Big Cornfield (Iowa); we're hoping to start June 27. Not sure where we'll cross into Canada. Probably at Eureka, MT. Has anyone ridden Hwy. 93 from Radium Hot Springs up to Hwy. 1? Is it paved?
We'll take 93 thru Jasper, Hinton, Grande Cashe up to 43, then Dawson Creek and 97 to Whitehorse. How is Hwy. 2 out of Whitehorse (Klondike Hwy.) thru Glenboyle, Dawson City and Chicken? The Milepost says mostly gravel. Anyone ride that route?
We were on a cruise/land tour last summer that ended in Fairbanks. We rented a car and drove Alaska for a week. We want to spend about a week in Alaska again this year.
We'd like to take a different route coming home. Hwy. 37 goes south off Hwy. 1 by Watson Lake. Goes thru Dease Lake, down to Kitwanga. Is there gas along that stretch? Anyone ride from Kitmanga to Prince George, and then Hwy. 97 all the way to the border?
We have a 2003 Ultra Classic with 45,000 miles. I've ridden over 200,000 miles on two wheels since my first bike in 1969. We have Verizon and plan on using the phone for internet searches and calls ahead for rooms. What is cell phone coverage like in upper BC and the Yukon? Must we always call ahead in the morning to get a room that evening? We'll also take a Garmin GPS. Anyone have something similiar on a trip thru Canada? How was the reception?
8500 mile roundtrip. We're in no hurry. We're planning on 21 days; maybe stretch it out to 23 or 24 days. How much is gas in Canada these days? I also heard the are fires in BC and the Yukon. True? Where?
Thanks in advance for any answers or replies.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

We have room for company if you are stoping in the Jasper area. We have offered a room to others on this forum who are traveling in the area also. If you would like to take us up on this offer PM me to make sure we'll be here.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:22 PM
vanlente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roads in Alaska are rough. Perma frost breaks up most of the blacktop so they have down a lot of hard packed gravel. It's better than we expected but prepare for it. We took the inter passage (ferry) from Washington to Fairbanks and rode the ALCAN to Dawson and then back to CA. Amazing trip.

Reception in Alaska (ATT) was great, Canada not so well. I do not have a garmin so I cannot comment on satellite, I assume it's fine. We made a few room reservation Denali national forest and other "tourist" spots but other than that we usually called the day of or just showed up. Never had a problem but don't think you'll be sleeping in the Hilton. Gas was never a problem but don't pass up an opportunity, there were some long stretches but never more than 150-175 miles (we had someone on a Yamaha with a 3.5 gallon tank)...if that's out of your range then do your homework. Expect gas to be a couple of bucks more in Canada than in the US...I can't quite tell you how much it runs because of the whole liter/gallon conversion but based on the final bill it equated to $3 1/2 - $4 and that was in '06, I'd expect it to be >$4.00 a gallon now.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Notsure
Advanced

How long did that ferry take to get to Alaska?
I can deal with frost heaves; pavement breakups and potholes concern me. Upper BC and the Yukon are pretty remote. A busted rim or even a need to replace a damaged tire could really spoil a trip or trip timetable if it happens up there. But this isn't just a vacation. We're looking at it as an epic adventure (for some Iowans, a trip to Omaha is an adventure!). So we'll hope for the best and we'll deal with things as they occur the best we can.
$4.00 a gallon is not so bad.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Notsure
Advanced

Silver Fox...I am told I don't have 'permission' to post PM's. Administrator hasn't given me permission...not sure why. I haven't quite got comfortable with this website yet. I thought I sent you a relpy yesterday but I don't see it anywhere.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You better research hiway 37 before you go down that road. The roads are not near as bad as people make them out to be here in Alaska. I live on the worst piece of road in the state and its bumpy but not dangerous for a bike. A little dicy in a motor home though. As far as the alcan goes there is plenty of gas, just fill up at every opportunity, especially north of Ft. Nelson. Expect to pay 6 bucks at a few stations. The road from Dawson City, not Dawson Creek, the road is good dirt for 60 miles I think. Neat town though, lots of history there. GPS works fine in Canada but cel coverage sucks. If you are an early riser watch for animals. Hotels are basically only in towns but shouldn't be any problem getting a room. There is a Harely dealer in Whitehorse and Grand Prairie.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Notsure
Advanced

The 2009 Milepost says Hwy. 37 has been upgraded in the last couple of years and "was in very good condition in summer 2008." Milepost also says the stretch from the Alaskan Hwy. to Kitwanga via 37 is 450 miles and 95% paved. Looks like there are gas stops at least every 100 miles. I sure would like to hear from someone who has been on it in the last year or two. My buddy Chriss is coming on the trip now and he's going to buy the 2010 Milepost. He's riding a 10 (plus) year old kit bike with a S & S motor. Relatively hardcore.
Our favorite parts of AK are the stretch going south into Paxon and the Glenn Highway. We also liked Hatcher Pass by Palmer and Humpy's resturant on the corner of 6th and F in Anchorage. There were plenty of frost heaves in AK but all in all I thought the roads were good.
Forest fires anywhere in the state?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have nothing to add, but wish I was making that ride. Someday,..... maybe. Have a great trip and remember to post pics when you get back!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Eltopia
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi !

I am planning a trip for July. We are going to put the Harleys on a ferry at Bellingham, Wa. and get off at Skagway. Takes 3 nights to get there.
I just got my Milepost 2010 today. We planned to go to Tok and over the "Top OF The World Highway" , then South to Wa. State.
The Milepost said some of the road had reverted back to gravel. Is this road ok for my 08 Softail ?
The Softail is my first big bike and have put 24,000 miles on it. I am not worried about a little gravel damage but I don't want to get stranded. Is it a concern about getting a rock between the belt and the spocket ?
We may change plans and tour the Kenai with out the trip to Dawson City and come in to Whitehorse and 97 to Dawson Creek and back to Wa State.
We are going to take a laptop with us and try to post conditions. We will be pressed for time coming back. We want to travel 250 to 400 miles per day but also see what we can. Never been there so this is probably my one chance.
Thanks for all the info.

Bob !

Old 06-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Notsure
Advanced

Washboards on downgrades can be dangerous. In Iowa there are lots of gravel roads and the ones here get extra bad in the rain. I think if you ride enough gravel, you have a good chance of getting a rock in the belt. A medium sized rock (brazil-nut size) could do some damage and a new belt is hard to find in the middle of nowhere. We live on a gravel road. I drive/ride on gravel everyday. Unless you also have lots of experience on gravel roads, my advice would be to stay off them. We want to ride the Dalton Hwy (70 miles gravel one way) to the Artic Circle, but only if the road is dry, at least when we start out.
Are you going to ride the Cassiar back to WA? Milepost says its all paved now.

Quick Reply: North to Alaska