Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

North to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Notsure
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vaca

38 days! You and that British guy on the 18 month vacation are my new heroes.
I talked to Chriss yesterday. He got back a week before we did. No problems, no worries. He made it to the Arctic Circle on July 3rd. He said the road was dry; some places going to the Circle and back he was able to run 60 mph.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Thats nice that both of you had a good ride, and neither of you had any serious problems. Say hello to Chriss for Joanne and me.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Eltopia
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife and I left SE Washington July 8 and rode around Mt Rainier and stayed in Seattle area that night. Beautiful day and Mt Rainier was shining bright.
The next day we boarded the ferry to Haines, Ak. at Bellingham, Wa. There were ten other bikes making the trip. We left Bellingham at 7 PM. It is a three day ride to Haines. We had a little sleeping room but some people set up tents on the decks and others threw sleeping bags and air mattress's on a covered deck. Lots of scenery, glaciers, Whales, Dolfins, narrow passages. We had a 3 hour layover in Ketchikan so we walked down the docks and ate breakfast.
I have an 08 Heritage Softail Classic and my wife has a 750 Honda Shadow. We left Haines at 5 pm on Monday the 12 th of July and rode until 10 pm when we had to stop because the sun was low and straight into our eyes. We stayed in Burwash Landing on lake Kluane.
The next day we stayed at Glenallen and went to Homer the next day. Cook inlet isn’t wide and we could see the snow capped mountains across the way. Kinda strange to see ocean water and snow at the same time. The fisherman were lined up elbow to elbow on some of the rivers. We arrived at Homer on a clear evening and the scene from the top of the hill is well worth the trip. Toured the docks and had dinner at Capt Jakes. Homer was at the top of the list on scenery.
The next day we stayed at Trapper Creek Lodge North of Anchorage. We would have had a view of Mt Mckinley from the balcony if it wasn’t clouded in. The next morning was worse and we rode in rain for an hour and never got a peek at Denali. Went by Fairbanks and North Pole and stayed the nite in Tok. From Tok to Haines Junction was the road we rode up on. That was the only bad roads we had. Construction around the border and potholes and frost heaves. Yukon fixed their bad sections and covered them with the sealcoat gravel so there was always little patches to cross. All and all not bad.
We stayed at Whitehorse for two nites. The bikes were dirty and needed washed. Also the Honda rear tire was looking bad and the Honda dealer had one. It was $260 out the door, a little more than back home but they had one.
The ride from Whitehorse to Fort Nelson through the Canadian Rockies was spectacular, lots of scenery and wildlife. We got great pictures of Buffalo, Caribou, Moose and Black Bear. We stopped for road construction and were standing around when a Black Bear came walking across the road 20 feet behind my wife. It stood there while we took pictures then went about 50 feet away and was eating grass. It was 10 minutes before the flagman waved us on, the bear still there.
We stayed at the Liard hot springs next. Took a dip in the hot water. Lots of people here and the camp ground was full. All in all not to many people around Alaska, lots of little places closed up.
We had planned to take the Cassiar highway but too many bad reports.
Stayed at Fort St. John the next night then Quesnel. We headed for Penticton but got lost in a heavy rain and missed the turn off so we ended up in Chilliwack. On a clear day this would be a great ride, high mountain peaks on both sides. Crossed back to US at Sumas and took the freeway home.
Talked to lots of interesting people. One couple and teenage daughter from Mass had a sidecar on one bike for the daughter. Headed for Southern Ca before heading back. Two guys on the ferry said Alaska would be their 50 th state, not all in one trip. They came from the mid west and rode highway 12, the Lewis and Clark Trail from start to finish. A couple of guys with shaft drives were headed to Prudhoe Bay to look at the Arctic Ocean. We probably had one of the shorter trips of anyone we talked to but we had to get back to work. Hope I can still ride when I retire so I don’t have to hurry.
4529 miles on the bikes.
Never get tired of all the mountains to look at on a ride

Bob

Old 07-25-2010, 06:55 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default good post

Originally Posted by Eltopia
My wife and I left SE Washington July 8 and rode around Mt Rainier and stayed in Seattle area that night. Beautiful day and Mt Rainier was shining bright.
The next day we boarded the ferry to Haines, Ak. at Bellingham, Wa. There were ten other bikes making the trip. We left Bellingham at 7 PM. It is a three day ride to Haines. We had a little sleeping room but some people set up tents on the decks and others threw sleeping bags and air mattress's on a covered deck. Lots of scenery, glaciers, Whales, Dolfins, narrow passages. We had a 3 hour layover in Ketchikan so we walked down the docks and ate breakfast.
I have an 08 Heritage Softail Classic and my wife has a 750 Honda Shadow. We left Haines at 5 pm on Monday the 12 th of July and rode until 10 pm when we had to stop because the sun was low and straight into our eyes. We stayed in Burwash Landing on lake Kluane.
The next day we stayed at Glenallen and went to Homer the next day. Cook inlet isn’t wide and we could see the snow capped mountains across the way. Kinda strange to see ocean water and snow at the same time. The fisherman were lined up elbow to elbow on some of the rivers. We arrived at Homer on a clear evening and the scene from the top of the hill is well worth the trip. Toured the docks and had dinner at Capt Jakes. Homer was at the top of the list on scenery.
The next day we stayed at Trapper Creek Lodge North of Anchorage. We would have had a view of Mt Mckinley from the balcony if it wasn’t clouded in. The next morning was worse and we rode in rain for an hour and never got a peek at Denali. Went by Fairbanks and North Pole and stayed the nite in Tok. From Tok to Haines Junction was the road we rode up on. That was the only bad roads we had. Construction around the border and potholes and frost heaves. Yukon fixed their bad sections and covered them with the sealcoat gravel so there was always little patches to cross. All and all not bad.
We stayed at Whitehorse for two nites. The bikes were dirty and needed washed. Also the Honda rear tire was looking bad and the Honda dealer had one. It was $260 out the door, a little more than back home but they had one.
The ride from Whitehorse to Fort Nelson through the Canadian Rockies was spectacular, lots of scenery and wildlife. We got great pictures of Buffalo, Caribou, Moose and Black Bear. We stopped for road construction and were standing around when a Black Bear came walking across the road 20 feet behind my wife. It stood there while we took pictures then went about 50 feet away and was eating grass. It was 10 minutes before the flagman waved us on, the bear still there.
We stayed at the Liard hot springs next. Took a dip in the hot water. Lots of people here and the camp ground was full. All in all not to many people around Alaska, lots of little places closed up.
We had planned to take the Cassiar highway but too many bad reports.
Stayed at Fort St. John the next night then Quesnel. We headed for Penticton but got lost in a heavy rain and missed the turn off so we ended up in Chilliwack. On a clear day this would be a great ride, high mountain peaks on both sides. Crossed back to US at Sumas and took the freeway home.
Talked to lots of interesting people. One couple and teenage daughter from Mass had a sidecar on one bike for the daughter. Headed for Southern Ca before heading back. Two guys on the ferry said Alaska would be their 50 th state, not all in one trip. They came from the mid west and rode highway 12, the Lewis and Clark Trail from start to finish. A couple of guys with shaft drives were headed to Prudhoe Bay to look at the Arctic Ocean. We probably had one of the shorter trips of anyone we talked to but we had to get back to work. Hope I can still ride when I retire so I don’t have to hurry.
4529 miles on the bikes.
Never get tired of all the mountains to look at on a ride

Bob
Thanks for sharing.

I've taken a number of the pacific northwest ferries in cars/pickups, even towing camp-trailers and fishing boats, but now see that this could make for a practical AK bike trip, w/o getting beatup.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Alaska we call that elbow-to-elbow fishing, "Combat Fishing" and it sorta sucks. Kind of ruins the fishing experience but whatever lifts a person's skirt I guess.

At Lake Kluane is there still construction going on? I think there will be construction workers who spend their entire career working that neck of the world. Beautiful though.

You guys sound like you're on the trip of a lifetime - congratulations and enjoy the experience. I don't think I'm going to live in Alaska for the rest of my life, but it's sure been great for thirty years.

FYI - I've done 3-1/2 round trips on the Alcan and it never gets old!

Ride safe.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
orbiker
Cruiser

Nice trip report. Alaska is happening in 2011.
Last year was:
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23932
And the year before last:
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthr...580#post336580

Last edited by orbiker; 11-21-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Notification
Old 12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
shaboom 101
Stage I

Been to Alaska twice on bike and going again in 2011 from north Iowa. Take your time, buy gas often, cell sevice poor, and if it looks like rain don't ride between Dawson City,Yukon and Chicken, Alaska. Have a safe trip and do stop at Larid Hot Springs.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thoroughly enjoyed every inch of this thread and learned a lot too! I've done my share of trips but nothing near as long as these.
Kinda wanted to post to keep it on the first page.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

I just want to thank you for the journalism- when I was a kid I went to a "travelogue" at the university with my grandparents, with a live narrator and slides. Loved it, and your journal took me back. Would love to ride in Alaska someday.